Hey,

I recently bought an Schecter Omen Extreme 7 string and decided i want to put it in drop B tuning. I cant find much information about drop B on a 26.5 scale . so what would a good gauge be? Im used to have fairly thick strings. I have been using D'Addario EXL-110-7 ( 010-013-017-026-036-046-056) on my 7 for in drop a tuning for a couple of months. was thickest 7 string set what they had at nearest guitar shop but often feel the low A is kinda on the loose/sloppy side in my opinion.
Tuning i want it in would probably be B-F#-B-E-G#-C#-F#

Thanks in advance
Quote by summer41 er
Hey,

I recently bought an Schecter Omen Extreme 7 string and decided i want to put it in drop B tuning. I cant find much information about drop B on a 26.5 scale . so what would a good gauge be? Im used to have fairly thick strings. I have been using D'Addario EXL-110-7 ( 010-013-017-026-036-046-056) on my 7 for in drop a tuning for a couple of months. was thickest 7 string set what they had at nearest guitar shop but often feel the low A is kinda on the loose/sloppy side in my opinion.
Tuning i want it in would probably be B-F#-B-E-G#-C#-F#

Thanks in advance

Since you'd be tuning the standard 6 strings up a step, I'd go for something even lighter like a 9-56 set.
Personally though, I'd keep Drop B for 6 strings and use the 7 for lower tunings like Drop A/Ab (with at least 10-60s)
Problem is that my 7 string is my only decent guitar and I just joined a band where they use drop B.
Quote by summer41 er
Problem is that my 7 string is my only decent guitar and I just joined a band where they use drop B.

In that case, you could do what Wes Borland and Stef Carpenter do occasionally and string it with a 6 string set, then just double the highest string which isn't really played.

I'd suggest a 12-60 set, then get an extra .12.
The tuning would be B-F#-B-E-G#-C#-C#
Last edited by CorrosionMedia at May 31, 2016,
Or tune it E-B-F#-B-E-G#-C#. That way you get the dropB on the 6 strings, as well as low end down to E on the thick string. Its basicly tuned kinda like an 8 string in dropE. I do something similar with my 7 string sometimes, its great fun.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by summer41 er
But what gauge would be best for a 26.5 scale length?

For my suggestion, you could try 12-60 with an extra .12.
For Gorky's, you could try 12-60 with an extra low 70 or 72.
Just try a couple of sets out
summer41 er I use 10-64 and that's a little to much keep in mind that I have a 7 string I'd go 10-60 that's a good bass line I not trying 10-62
I have a Schecter Blackjack 7 and my band used drop B for awhile. Again it was my only guitar I had at uni (and I played other stuff) so didn't want to go down the route of tuning the 6 strings up.

I ended up keeping my 7 in standard tuning (BEADGBE) and transposing as many of my bands songs as I could realistically. And for the ones that had crazy stretches, I tuned down to Drop A and used a capo on fret 2 so that I was in Drop B. Not ideal by any means but got the job done.

Oh and I was using the 10-59 D'addario set too
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus