Page 1 of 3
Thread has been done before. Try not to make your post so boring as to be a waste of space. Don't need a god damn essay, but don't waste your keyboards breath on just a name or just a link. Convince me you enjoy what you waste your time listening to.

Today's audio has enjoyed the companionship of coffee and water; Avocado oil roasted potatoes and cauliflower on a bed of caramelized garlic and onions; A side of egg fried jasmine rice spiced with oregano, cayenne and truffle oil.

Agent Steel - Unstoppable Force LP (MFN 66 - 1986)

Getting hyped for DEMON BITCH's Hell Friends has double inspired me to throw myself at the altar of this perfect record. Ace production, stellar speed and songwriting to boot! I think I'm always humming STILL SEARCHING and the yaulps of Cyriis never get tiring. Been a fan of this one for far too many years and I still consider it a gate keeper of the True Metal.

Have a Nice Life - the unnatural world LP (EL20/FR39 - 2014)

Started cooking the potatoes and I needed some potato blues. Something down to earth, deep in peasant soil and submitting to fiefdom, ya hear? While I think that the previous record (DEATHCONCIOUSNESS) used some of the records space better, this album is 100% reccomended for staying inside and sending out waves of anxious hate out into the streets, trying to shut down the stoplights. MUSIC WILL UNTUNE THE SKY and EMPTINESS WILL EAT THE WITCH grew on me more in their purpose for this album but ultimately I believes DEATHCONCIOUSNESS served the same purpose a bit better with WHO WOULD LEAVE THEIR SON OUT IN THE SUN; HOLY FUCKING SHIT: 40,000; THERE IS NO FOOD etc. But ultimately tracks like GUGGENHEIM WAX MUSEUM; DEFENESTRATION SONG; CROPSY and the track to rule them all and submit to self destruction, BURIAL SOCIETY! What a monster of a track! Arrrruugh.

Kerasphorus - Cloven Hooves At The Holocaust Dawn LP (Anti-Goth 142 - 2010)

THE FLESH IS WEAK
EXHORT ABYSS
THE STONE SINKS INTO THE SEA
FEED ON THE FRUIT OF THE POISONED TREE
FOUR RESOLVES TO FIFTH
BEARING BESTIAL WITNESS
DISTURB THE FURTHEST START
A PALACE GRASPING THE HEAVENS - OUR ASHES BECOME

Of course Order From Chaos seems to forever remain the king of projects Helmkamp took part in, but this is my choice for second place which really is a competitive spot when you account for the quality of projects he has managed.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at May 31, 2016,
haha you put the Cat# in? nice. all my stuff is at my mother's house, no cool numbers for me unless I remember them!

Love the new HANL though. "New" I suppose, a little old. Either way! Me and my brother are big fans of Dan's work.

As of late, I've been really enjoying:

Atlantean Kodex's The White Goddess.

Like, fuck me this album is good. One of the most perfectly crafted doom records to date, very polished and the vocalist is spot on. I think they have the dynamical presence of God rupturing the earth into pieces. I didn't think it was as good as The Golden Bough, but it definitely has my attention now.

Tales of Medusa - The Fatal Wounding Gaze

Riffs for days, DIY vocals, clean drumming...Overall tight package. I think the lore surrounding the band is pretty interesting. A relatively recent heavy metal band that released so little of product that it created its own hype. Not to mention the members are unknown and this band is shrouded in mystery. Truthfully I couldn't care less who the members are, they made some killer tunes.

favourite track: Bade the Myrmidons

his vocals throughout the chorus stuck with me. I think the way he punctuates each word and trails it perfectly along to the underlying melody makes me want to weep a little.
Checking out Tales of Medusa tonight.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Agent Steel's been on my roster too actually

A cursory glance at my last.fm profile reveals my taste remains the cutting edge in contemporary metal elitism

Top albums of the past week include:

Powerlord - The Awakening

Liege Lord - Master Control

Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction

So obviously I've been on a big USPM kick. Powerlord is really cool, thrashy stuff with what are basically the best kind of 'generic' vocals for this genre. Liege Lord probably need less of an introduction here, I started listening to them after someone dug up Powerslave's epic thread on USPM. Jag Panzer are in a class of their own, with some of the most powerful vocals in all metal. All of these bands are just riff after riff after riff, high energy stuff with epic vocals and I should stop driving around listening to it (particularly on freeways)

Solitude Aeturnus - Beyond the Crimson Horizon

Another band that doesn't need an introduction. I only got into them quite recently, since I never really got serious about getting into doom metal until a few months back. It takes me a while to digest these guys' albums, not in the sense of it has to 'grow on me' (it appeals to me immediately), but it took me quite a while with SA's first album before I felt ready to move on to the second. This stuff is basically power metal played at a doom metal pace anyway, awesome riffs and leads

Decapitated - Winds of Creation

I have a feeling this has been in my top 5 for quite a few weeks running now. I typically don't like later tech-death, as you all know. But this album is a masterpiece that shows a potential for this style that is rarely explored - riff after riff after riff with extraordinary and impressive musicianship yet no wankery or self-indulgence. It definitely has the spirit of the old school. And the song Blessed... is one of the best death metal songs ever.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Today's audio has enjoyed the companionship of coffee and water; Avocado oil roasted potatoes and cauliflower on a bed of caramelized garlic and onions; A side of egg fried jasmine rice spiced with oregano, cayenne and truffle oil.

man you're like the only person on here who can say something like this without being called a hipster

I'm still binging on Funkadelic so I'll contribute when I have something new to share
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Yes but in order to complete the Ellis esque meal description, I need to know who else was present, and what everyone was wearing Vg.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
I eat well and most of the time I feed myself on a daily basis. It breeds an invaluable skill set and appreciation for genuine food. About to grill some catfish and serve with red beans.

Gonna try out this Tales of Medusa while I'm at it. Shame there seems to be no immediately available high quality source for it. YouTube through damn fine speakers sounds like piss and shit.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by progbass
Yes but in order to complete the Ellis esque meal description, I need to know who else was present, and what everyone was wearing Vg.

Nodding with appreciation your way as hard as I can.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish

Agent Steel - Unstoppable Force LP (MFN 66 - 1986)

Have a Nice Life - the unnatural world LP (EL20/FR39 - 2014)

Two of my favorite albums. I was even listening to the unnatural world earlier. The Fatal Wounding Gaze is a product of pure obscurity and a treat to listen to. Take away the obscurity and mystery and urban legends however and you have quality but still not exactly mind-blowing metal.

Lizzy Borden - Appointment with Death (2007)

This album has grown to be my personal favorite of theirs. This and of course Love You to Pieces. A varied album but also very consistent, in production and particularly vocals. It was often my drive to school album this year and I spun it again today. Power metal with hints of sleazy rock with dark undertones. Just a healthy dose of sleaziness. And Melancholy. Sleaze and Melancholy -> perfect combo. This era Lizzy Borden looks like a Batman villain on stage. Rockin' riffs at every turn, lots of admirable lead work, super hum-able.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Quote by VampireGoldfish
Gonna try out this Tales of Medusa while I'm at it. Shame there seems to be no immediately available high quality source for it. YouTube through damn fine speakers sounds like piss and shit.

I have it at 320kbps

I'll upload in a minute and post it in here for all eyes to see
No one knew what to do with Lizzy Borden back when and they still managed to succeed. Was relatively a LA local from time to time, exposed to them a whole lot. Producers/Labels etc didn't know how to handle the group that failed as a Hair Metal project but excelled as a METAL project. I'm a proud axe maniac! And talk about a killer live presence!

Lizzy has a powerful voice without a mic or effects. He is one of those guys that really hits those low registers and screams to the top without faltering at all. He is no amateur for sure!
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by romencer17
man you're like the only person on here who can say something like this without being called a hipster

I'm still binging on Funkadelic so I'll contribute when I have something new to share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6SS7JDVRo0

Understandable
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Alex has so much hidden potential I feel like he is going to explode in usage soon.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Considering he's only really played by LPN at a "high" level. I guess Snake Eyez plays him too, but he hasn't done anything tournament worthy yet, so I'm not gonna mention him too much.

I can see his potential when I play him. I think it comes mostly from his mix-up potential and damage. Definitely good and underused. I agree that Gief players should switch to Alex because of his mobility. He can get in almost free from any distance and is nasty towards any shotos, which is good because Ryu and Chun are top tier.

I'd tell you to switch to Alex, but Mika has the scariest 50/50 in the entire game. Some trouble getting in for sure, where Alex shines. Hm, so maybe try him out if you haven't. I think he doesn't have as good corner carry as Mika though...now that I think of it, Alex is probably a better character than Mika objectively.

All depends on the hands though, of course. Alex is under-represented though, I agree with you. I still think Karin is my boo though.
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Nodding with appreciation your way as hard as I can.

I just want to fit in.

That said I'll probably post my currents on the morrow
HESSIAN HAREM
So how about that Bade the Myrmidons by Tales of Medusa? What a soft voice delivering so many chills. Perfectly executed.
I am typing this from my laptop, as I try to convince classmates on my online school message board that abortion is perfectly ethical if we use it to enforce eugenics and prevent stupid people from needlessly breeding and taking up space. I'm listening to Dive by Tycho, a post-modern electronica album that exhibits a glassy and airy reverb'd guitar drenched in delays similar to the indie rock movement that I was fond of in my younger years (consisting of Explosions in the Sky, Sigur Ros and their ilk). It's not quite as mechanically interesting or in depth as My Bloody Valentine, but then again, what else is? I'm wearing a pair of navy blue Wrangler jeans, and no shirt. I like to look at my recently shaved chest, and anticipate admiring myself in the mirror after my workout scheduled for later today. I am sipping on some Evian water, poured from the glass bottle into a tumbler, over ice made from distilled water. I did not see the Patty Winters show this morning, and for that, I am slightly upset, but I have a date scheduled for later tonight, which seems to allay the bad feelings from missing the show.

Prog update - I switched over to Le Denier Crepuscule, I wish to be riding high on adrenaline for my workout prior to my date.
HESSIAN HAREM
Last edited by progbass at Jun 1, 2016,
Today's audio has been accompanied by wild caught tuna from local waters (I can assure you as I caught it myself,) served filleted with the head on ice to be fried in jalapeno infused canola oil later. The fillets were doused in squeezed lemon juice and heavily spiced with cracked peppercorn. Lightly seared and oily, the fish was placed on previously prepared egg fried jasmine rice on a bed of wilted Swiss chard and garnished with thick cut hass avocado slices. Yeast flakes and goat butter were added for texture and flavor.

I had to cut into cold fish flesh, disembowel innards and decapitate it. I needed some disgust from the North. I heeded the call with...

Nåstrond - Toteslaut LP (GS031/FI025 - Released 1995 Reissued 2011)

May they die by the sight and smell of me!

If you can ignore the drums being high in the mix this album is an absolute delight. Even said drums are actually fantastically employed as they mix things up and refuse to devolve into blasterbation. More importantly this album is one of unique miasma and stench. Necro gets thrown around so much, moreso in the past and now is trying to be reclaimed, but this stands head and shoulders above impersonators and even their recent outputs in respects to grave soils and caves of sublime gore worship.

A unique sound is carved out of the flesh of Mysticism, corpse worship and touches of East and Northern motifs. The flavor is obviously death and it is nutritionally dense here.

Mechanically this album impresses with highly identifiable riffs with a production that produces leads of rotten ear candy. There are definitely melodies to be found here and yet things remain irrefutably raw. Despite that there is a moribund approach so obviously present that remains throughout the years this albums strongest selling point. The carnal and direct approach is not subdued by the melodic sensibilities and presence of synths. If anything they are welcome amplifiers!

AKHKHARU (THE GRAVE DWELLER) immediately starts off with such a lead, a hypnotic bliss of red and black stink. LORD OF THE WOODS tells the tale of this album, one where man submits itself to Werewolf nature and careers through woods in search of lust for flesh, his worshipers offering children to sate the Demigod's presence. JAI MA KALI sounds like the projects later work and gives you a moment to absorb your macabre surroundings of bones and skeleton deities. MAY THE ROTTEN BONES ABSORB LIFE AGAIN has this rising/falling riff that brings me to my knees.

A highly recommended listen with very cheap represses available. A relatively obscure Swedish gem given some more un-life by some observant ears and eyes.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Jun 1, 2016,
sounds delectable.

I have finished my workout, and decided to admire the rain whilst I clean up some dishes (real men clean up after themselves, don't be a slob).

It is humid today, to the point of suffocation. The rain pours hard and endless, leaving me in a stupor as my body relishes the increased blood flow and heat from my previous toil. I want something dour and grey, something to augment the mood rather than set it.

I choose Ceremonium's Into the Autumn Shade.

Artistically a doom metal album, the death metal elements that litter the soundscape pepper the atmosphere with a nice touch of desolation without being forced. A somewhat short listen, clocking in just over 30 minutes, but absolutely perfect for my moments as I set my mind into clean up phase and get ready for my evening upon which I shall prey upon a woman in a most Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde fashion.

Real horrowshow like my droogs.
HESSIAN HAREM
Man. What was with New York and that crawling, monolithic Death/Doom sound in the 90's? Plenty stellar examples of it. My go to's lately for the sound are Paradise Lost - Lost Paradise and Winter - Into Darkness.

Now I am forced to draw the comparisons between New York Death/Doom and England's stellar acts of the sound. A connection is formed.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Jun 1, 2016,
Just got done working out. Filling out one of the few gaps left on my skin with some new ink tonight. It is neolithic Sumerian artwork, specifically bronze age styled. Well be relegating myself to sound tracks befitting of this mythos...

Gorguts - From Wisdom to Hate CD (SOM043 2001)

My favorite of Luc's work. A nice middle ground of their thrashy, teched out Deathness and experimentation. Plus the subject matter screams VG. Archaeo-Metal needs to be more of a thing.

Lord Wind - Atlantean Monument CD (NC116 2006)

Dungeon Synth-esque stuff with a stellar resemblance to Basil Poledouris' work on the Conan soundtrack.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
I'm heading in to work out right now myself and shall be accompanied by

I don't think much words are necessary. And if they are, VG can do it much better justice than myself. Damn these riffs are big and good.

and followed it up with Speed, Glue & Shinki's self titled. Goddamn this one is always good. Groovy hard-rockin riffs, badass leads and it all has that air of sleaziness that can only come from an album that opens with a track called "Sniffin' & Snortin' Pt.1". The experimental cuts are pretty cool too, 'Don't Say No' is pretty much a really fat hip hop groove with a cool flute solo in the middle, and there's some extended experimental synth stuff too. Classic stuff from 70's Japan.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Last edited by romencer17 at Jun 1, 2016,
90s New York death doom is certainly a treat, but one best saved for special occasions as to not tarnish the luster.

I sit in my vehicle preparing myself for work, relaxing to the hallowed work of Agalloch, namely White EP and Ashes as I sup upon my coffee. I am dressed in tan slacks with my standard issue green work shirt, a black tank top, and my canvas vans sneakers. Lets do this.
HESSIAN HAREM
Patrick Bateman and Hannibal Lector in one thread. Exquisite.

On the topic of The White EP and similar (in a way), have you heard the works of Nature and Organization, Progface?

----------------------------------------------------------
This morning, I dragged my own lifeless body out of bed, and turned on:

Dragged Into Sunlight - Hatred for Mankind

My day has started wonderfully. When Boiled Angel starts playing, and who I think is Lynette Fromme begins her interview..Then it cuts into this massive wall of noise.

Next is coffee.
I do believe Veeg and I together in threads can be quite lethal. I debated making a thread where Veeg, I and others give gentleman like advice to those seeking it, but I'm not sure how receptive some would be.

Also, Veeg, I want to get more ink work done. Only have one that is in Celtic style and I want to continue with that, but I would like to see your tattoos if it doesn't compromise your identity of course.
HESSIAN HAREM
I'll see about putting some up on Monday, once this one is wrapped up.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
I would reject all ideals because I don't conform.

Ever.

Also listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXzlZy6lrgs

It's the pop gift to serial killers. Beautifully written, like if Dahmer by Macabre wasn't so oriented in death metal. All over the place at points, from soft adult contemporary to ball-busting punk music, couple that with uncomfortable melodies and voice samples of the manson family...You get this.

It's probably in my top five of most interesting albums. If I had to put an arbitrary position for it. I love it in its entirety.
i can fap to this thank you
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Today's audio is served with poached eggs flavored with garlic and onions, roasted apples and lightly seared salmon in a balsamic dressing with a tossed spinach and herb melange.

When it comes to Funeral Doom, I really don't seem to gravitate towards anything that isn't called Stormcrowfleet or Stream From The Heavens... except when it comes to anything by

Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale (SOM172 2008)

Esoteric is a rarity in modern Metal. Distinct and singular in purpose. One can easily draw comparisons to the aforementioned projects of Doom but it would be cheap and lacking at best. While Stormcrowfleet and Stream may make for good bed companions, Esoteric would sneer and leave the room if asked for companionship with such projects. Parallels are limited. Connections are vague and superficial.

This album begins with Circle, a staple track in my adoration for this project that has yet to release a disappointing album. A tough duty, to be sure, when dealing with demanding albums riddled with constant use of monolithic tracks that rarely remain below double digit time stamps in length. Some motifs are resolved, others go quietly into the black with a beautiful longing and hate. Melodies that one can admire for their elegance are juxtaposed with the inescapable tar-pit trappings of loathing, infinite space, genuine misanthropy and dreams. Dreams with vivid colors swallowed up by geometric fathoms of tenebrous shades. Occasionally a beast takes hold and gives way to what may be described as more traditional riffing, but it is given a psychedelic consciousness all its own with surroundings that excel its driving purpose to heights similar riffage may not attain.

20 minutes is a very, very short time in an Esoteric song. It demands you remain rigid, its narcosis gripping your spine delicately at times and at others slowly arcing it in an unsettling, uncomfortable direction.

A lesson in variety of a professional nature. There are no cheap tricks employed here. Repeated listens endured provide a more attuned eye sight and spacial awareness, revealing things previously unknown and hidden. A delight to return to. A full meal. A main course.

I hardly put another album on for another hour or so.

I have a million questions, but no will to ask
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Jun 3, 2016,
aw heck ye bud
Esoteric seem to have the Obscura effect on me - when the last track on the album ends, you sort of sit there in a stupor reeling from the experience
HESSIAN HAREM
Some belting albums being mentioned in this thread already. Atlantean Kodex and Lord Wind in particular.

Currently listening to the new Stargazer Lilies album 'Door to the Sun' which is really hitting the spot. It's got a really nice sort of heavy ethereal psychadelic shoegaze sound going on. It manages to sound comforting in it's familiarity, and yet like nothing I've really heard before. For a three piece band they sound absolutely huge at times. Heaven and Hell stood out on my first listen for anyone curious but doesn't have time to commit to the whole thing.

I've also been digging Crescendo's 'Unless' a lot too. This is far more generic, but perfectly encapsulates the nostalgia people have for the late 80's/early 90's 4AD/Creation sounds in a really satisfying way. It's poppy, it's not really experimental or pushing any boundaries, but it knows what it is, and it does it well.

Metal wise all I've listened to recently has been Kawir - Father Sun Mother Moon which was pretty good. I find Kawir are like the little band that could. They'll never be the biggest, the most creative, or the most extreme. They aren't as known as rotting Christ or Varathron for example. But they are the kind of band who are assured enough in their identity and consistant enough in quality that they are a pleasure to listen to and rarely disappoint.
Last edited by AnnihiSlateR at Jun 3, 2016,
^Neil (if I am remembering your name correctly), have you heard the new Moonsorrow album? If you have, I would like to know your thoughts. I have not heard it, other than "Suden tunti" and fragments of the other songs.

VG, regarding your post about Esoteric, are you familiar with the band Dolorian? If not, I would recommend their album Voidwards for that kind of mood. In three adjectives, I would describe it as alien, meditative, and psychadelic. Here is a song to try: "In the Locus of Bone"
Last edited by P1ayingW1thF1re at Jun 3, 2016,
I only know Dolorian by name. I will check it out on your recommendation. Thanks.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by progbass
Esoteric seem to have the Obscura effect on me - when the last track on the album ends, you sort of sit there in a stupor reeling from the experience

nice website bruh, i really like the design and the indepth discussions there are some good ones there !
Quote by VampireGoldfish
I only know Dolorian by name. I will check it out on your recommendation. Thanks.

You're welcome. Truth be told, I want to like Voidwards more than I actually do, but I think that it's worth at least one listen. It can have a pretty strong effect.
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
^Neil (if I am remembering your name correctly), have you heard the new Moonsorrow album? If you have, I would like to know your thoughts. I have not heard it, other than "Suden tunti" and fragments of the other songs.

VG, regarding your post about Esoteric, are you familiar with the band Dolorian? If not, I would recommend their album Voidwards for that kind of mood. In three adjectives, I would describe it as alien, meditative, and psychadelic. Here is a song to try: "In the Locus of Bone"

You are indeed remembering correctly.

I really like it. Suden tunti isn't really all that representative of the album as a whole. But then I think it also sounds like the culmination of the sort of sounds you find in every album. There's bits where I'm reminded if Voimasta, bits remind me of Suden Uni, but then you'll get a section more akin to Tulimyrsky. It's got scope and sounds really big, it's triumphant and majestic, all whilst retaining more of a blackened aesthetic. I know some people have compared the sound to a better produced 'early Satyricon'. It really is worth your time in my opinion, especially if you're already a fan.
Probably old but its 3am and it seems their new albums coming out this summer, I really like the majority of Inquisitions stuff, reaaaaaallllllyyyyy like it. His voice is eerie and it always sounds like they are summoning something.

As in Desolate Funeral Chant off Ominous Doctrines Of The Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm

Or Those of The Night off Into the Infernal Regions of the Ancient Cult

noticed you guys were on a doomy black metally trend thought these guys fit the bill *slow head bang* \m/
Page 1 of 3