Hi!

I have been playing classical guitar for 8 years, and though I am left-handed, I started learning to play "normally", so as a right-handed person does. I am still playing my classical like that. I would like to start electric (I have one year to know a popular song to a some school programme.), but I have doubts that I will be able to pick so fast.

So first of all, I need an advice. Should I start playing the electric right-handed, as I have experience in it, or left handed (and until I buy a lefty guitar, have some Jimi Hendrix feeling with the reversed strings )?

Then, if I continue right handed playing, what do you recommend to train my right hand? Or if I change my preferences, how can I easily get used to it?

(Also, I know I'm fcked up. )

Thanks for your answers!
Have a nice day.
Tony

P.S.: I am really new there, so please feel free to tell me if a behave incorrectly, or chose the wrong category. Thank you.
Changing to left handed playing will undo 8 years of muscle memory and will be a total waste of time. Why did you think switching hands would benefit you?
Because my left is so much better and faster. I can even do picking moves, though I have never ever tried picking with it.
If you've been playing a guitar right handed for 8 years there is absolutely no logical reason to suddenly switch hands - i'm amazed that you'd even consider it.

To be blunt, it's a stupid idea.

Also the Hendrix thing is a load of crap, there's nothing "cool" about it. The only reason he played that way is because left-handed guitars were practically impossible to get hold of back then, and if you did find one it'd be way more expensive. For anyone learning now, trying to play with reversed strings just means that the wealth of learning materials available out there are practically useless because they won't correlate directly with the instrument you're playing. You also wouldn't be learining anything that would translate to playing an actual left-handed guitar, so again it'd be a complete waste of time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I considered it, because my right is just so bad, that I thought switching would be less work, than training it.

(Also, for the Jimi Hendrix thing, I thought about playing a right handed guitar with left hand.)

Please then give me some advice for a good training (for my right).
Steven is right. That would be a complete waste of time and would be akin to starting over with a different instrument. I've always heard the argument that lefties who play right handed have a harder time picking, but I believe that to be a myth. I mean, when we all started out everything seemed difficult. It just takes practice and patience like everything else.
I am left-handed and I started playing right-handed. I played this way for a few years, then changed because my picking hand was too slow. It didn't take me very long before I was better playing left-handed. The best would be if you could borrow a left handed guitar to get a feeling for it and see if it is worth it or not. 8 years is a long time of playing, and changing will put you to basics.
For this 8 years, I was just playing classical guitar, where mainly just my fingers were used, and it was not bad at all with my right hand. But if I try some basic picking movements, I feel like my right hand is just too slow. And if I try with my left, it feels perfect. So somehow I will then borrow a lefty electric (or just try in a shop). And I wouldn't change my classical playing, I would continue it right-handed.

Practicing my right will take nearly forever, as I have problems with just eating (!) with my right. It is so slow and inaccurate.
So your left hand for picking feels stronger than your right. But how does your right hand feel for fretting? Does it feel as strong as your left hand?

So basically you're ambidextrous, like truly. That's handy (pun not intended).
I quickly picked up the electric guitar I have at home (it was lent to me, just to start, a Westone Spektrum Series 2), my right is definitely was not as strong as my left, but basic techniques, like hammer-on or pull-of went not so bad for the first try. And I noticed again, that picking with my left would be sooo much better.
That guitar a lefty is it?

It sounds to me that your right hand fretting ability and right hand picking ability are both lacking to the point that they almost cancel each other out?

If that's the case then it may be be worth just sticking with a righty, and put in that extra time and concentrated effort to get the right hand picking up to speed.

I don't think it will take you that long. I think your classical training provides a very strong foundation for all things forthcoming on electric!
Last edited by mdc at Jun 1, 2016,
No, it's a right-handed one.

My lefty fretting ability is good, I have problems with my right only.

Then I will try, and we will see. If no improvement, in, 6 months, then I will try a lefty guitar.
I made a quick edit there, I was meant to say "right and right".

Ok good luck. It's not worth turning it upside down and reversing the strings etc.
Oh, I see. This way you were right.

Thank you. Then nothing will change, just my practicing schedule. Can you advise me some exercise to improve my picking?
Quote by ifjupadavanxx

Thank you. Then nothing will change, just my practicing schedule. Can you advise me some exercise to improve my picking?

Begin with just one string and one note and use a metronome. Pick a tempo slow enough where you can handle many subdivisions of the beat. For me picking "fast" was never the problem, but picking in time with no tension was. You might try say 60bpm whole notes, bump it to 80, bump it to 100, then back to 60 but now with half notes, etc. Try it with all downstrokes, all upstrokes, and eventually alternating.

When you begin to get comfortable doing this you can add the left hand and do a simple scale that you are familiar with. You want to be able to watch and focus mentally on your picking hand while doing this. There should be absolutely no tension anywhere in your body, so pay attention to your fingers, hands, arms, shoulders, neck... practice in front of a mirror and make sure your shoulders are even and you don't make funny faces as you play. Make sure your are releasing any tension in your hand as soon as the pick plays the string.

The pick should move only as much as necessary to sound the note. Since you play classical, you should be familiar preparing your strokes. You can do the same thing with the pick. As you get faster you will lose this, but it will help train your hand to keep the pick close to the string.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by cujohnston at Jun 2, 2016,
Quote by ifjupadavanxx

Learn from the best mate.

https://youtu.be/zY85LH4yvo4
https://youtu.be/51OMFYGG-fs