hi i had the kfk set until somedays before they stopped work i am looking for new pickup set that will be close to that because i realy like them so much but the service is a bit awful i am looking for a passive set that will have the power of the actives can you help me out?thanks
Well I doubt anything will actually go wrong but if anything does just replace the part that failed. There's nothing unique in the KFK set - it's just an 81/85 with a boost switch. . .

Just change the battery once a year and don't leave the cable plugged into the guitar when you are not using it.

Regardless, if you want passives that have the same or similar look into the DiMarzio X2N and Seymour Duncan Nazgul / Sentient and Black Winter pickups. There are options from Bare Knuckle and many, many others as well.

You can also just run a boost pedal instead of having that PA2 circuit in the guitar - same end result.

Also note that if you change from actives to passives you have to replace everything - pots, output jack, etc.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Well I doubt anything will actually go wrong but if anything does just replace the part that failed. There's nothing unique in the KFK set - it's just an 81/85 with a boost switch. . .

Just change the battery once a year and don't leave the cable plugged into the guitar when you are not using it.

Regardless, if you want passives that have the same or similar look into the DiMarzio X2N and Seymour Duncan Nazgul / Sentient and Black Winter pickups. There are options from Bare Knuckle and many, many others as well.

You can also just run a boost pedal instead of having that PA2 circuit in the guitar - same end result.

Also note that if you change from actives to passives you have to replace everything - pots, output jack, etc.

thanks for your help one more question can actualy the pickups die because of 18v mod?i had them like this for some months and not problem
Quote by petros1988
thanks for your help one more question can actualy the pickups die because of 18v mod?i had them like this for some months and not problem

No. EMG's can safely run up to 27V and the current draw for these pickups is tiny. Which explains why the batteries last such a long time.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
First have you done some troubleshooting to isolate the reason why they stopped working, wiring, battery lead, etc? If not try that first you can save a lot of money by fixing a minor problem instead of replacing the entire setup. From my experience EMGS are pretty reliable.

If you really like the sound just get a new set of 81/85 and a boost if you want rune the 18v mod and your set.

If you really want to try passives the Nazgul/Sentient set is a good option also the D-Activator from DiMarzio has a nice tight punchy sound not quite active sounding but similar I have a set that came stock on my Ibanez XPT700 and I think they sound great.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jun 1, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine
First have you done some troubleshooting to isolate the reason why they stopped working, wiring, battery lead, etc? If not try that first you can save a lot of money by fixing a minor problem instead of replacing the entire setup. From my experience EMGS are pretty reliable.

If you really like the sound just get a new set of 81/85 and a boost if you want rune the 18v mod and your set.

If you really want to try passives the Nazgul/Sentient set is a good option also the D-Activator from DiMarzio has a nice tight punchy sound not quite active sounding but similar I have a set that came stock on my Ibanez XPT700 and I think they sound great.

yes i did check evrything also i email emg they tell me to send them with the receipt after they see in photo that all look ok but i cant find receipt until now but anyway i am from greece i dont have patience to wait so long (and i think shipping will cost me enought to send it faster)it start make some weird noises that day like a wave or like a wind and after some minutes nothing i try new battery other cables even direct to the amp with just a battery and jack ...thanks i will check the passive