I have a cheap guitar that i was trying to sell since I bought it... I got it cheap but it is/was clearly unloved... I have cleaned it up to sell it... but now I really like the way it looks... So I want to make it work... there's clearly something wrong with the bridge... like the string tension is way too tight... but it was just tuned... it only had 3 springs in the back - so I put another 2 on... but no avail...

What's going on here?

IMG_5290 by bryanplimer, on Flickr

IMG_5289 by bryanplimer, on Flickr

IMG_5288 by bryanplimer, on Flickr

IMG_5287 by bryanplimer, on Flickr
Captain obvious here, but the high E fine tuner is missing.

What gauges are on the guitar and to what tuning?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
yes - fine tuner is missing... trying to source one... i don't even know the gauage of the strings... they were on the guitar when acquired...

do you think they were just too heavy?

i am still learning guitar (right at the beginning) so... standard EADGBE tuning...
Buy a new set of 10-46 and start over on the bridge setup.

Those strings probably are really heavy and they look disgusting. Surprised you haven't changed them until now.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
i bought it cheap... then took someone's advice... wanna play like slash or billy gibbons... then get their gear...

so i have not even played it... intended to sell it off but there is something i like about it... the natural wood and tooth fretboard inlays... faded cream back...

i'll get some new strings on it...

now where can i get one fine-tuner? are they all compatible?
i am guessing it is not a floyd rose bridge.. is it a khaler? is it a no-name nothing?
the string gauge is too thick maybe.. (string tension too much for the springs), try 9's or 10's.. as you can see in the picture the bridge is going back... definitely the person you got it from put on strings that are way too heavy for this guitar.

i also notice the trem block is not straight, one side is touching the body cavity.. is the post drilled crooked? does the bridge look crooked from the top?
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at May 31, 2016,
so speaking of gauages... in the past i thought heavier was the way to go as i broke so many E strings when I first got my guitar... perhaps it was only technique that I didn't have... I see on the musician's friend website that there are more gauages than I thought... (maybe they are not all available in NZ??)

i have never strung/restrung this guitar... what would you suggest appropriate?

i have always thought that super skinny E strings would cut my fingers up!
Yep. Lots and lots of gauges.

Breaking strings might be your technique but it's just as likely to be caused by a nasty bridge or nut. If it's this guitar we're talking about, it wouldn't surprise me.

It's extremely unlikely you'll cut your fingers on guitar strings under normal playing conditions.

Personally I put Ernie Ball Super Slinkies on everything but my drop-C hardtail, but you should be just fine with T00DEEPBLUE's 10-46 (Regular Slinky or similar) suggestion.

However, I think Tony Done has highlighted a very important issue: with the block up against the front of the cavity like that there's no way you'll get the trem plate level with the body. It definitely smacks of something rather broken. In your second picture it looks like the block is barely attached to the plate. I'd be taking the whole thing out to check it over.
I got a floyd rose fine tuner screw from the shop - but it doesn't fit at all...

let me look for breakages
yes - i didn't do it... but i like it (now)...

i figured somebody did it and didn't like what they saw...

for the longest time i thought it was plywood (and that was the reason)... but of course there would be more visible layers on the angled bit!
Last edited by Lightning95NZ at Jun 6, 2016,
Quote by kabadi.man
The base plate of the bridge will likely have 2 or 3 screws hidden by the saddles which would hold the sustain block in place. I suspect some are missing or broken, which would explain why the sustain block isnt sitting correctly when viewed from the rear

Edit:-

found a pic of one by doing a net search which has been taken apart and shows a broken sustain block exposing the thread holes for the screws I was talking about. I suspect you may have the same problem :-

that was a good call!

i agree. it doesn't seem that the baseplate and block are attached properly.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Sometimes when they sand the top off the hardware doesnt fit right anymore. Like the whole top is lower so things like the bridge might need to be jacked up or shimmed
Quote by geo-rage
Sometimes when they sand the top off the hardware doesnt fit right anymore. Like the whole top is lower so things like the bridge might need to be jacked up or shimmed

ugh. nope. he didn't sand off to make a difference.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
so can i just gum this up with a crap load of glue?

the fine tuner i got does not fit at all? where can i get the right one?