Hi everyone.

I own a blackstar HT5-Metal head, and the 4X8 cab, as I demoe'd a few amps and speaker cabinet combinations in store before purchase, and my favourite was the 4X8 and the blackstar head.

I have heard that 1X12's are better though, and understand things sound different at home to at the shop, so wondered if there is a way I can cut/splice the wires, and create a cab out of my old amp?

I still do use the Spider IV 75 in my other room, for quieter practice, so ideally it would need to be a way I can connect and disconnect the speaker quickly, changing it from a Amp to a cab fairly quickly.

If there is any guides on how to do this, I would like to do this as I want to try my blackstar with a 1X12. If I don't like it I will simply continue to use the 4X8 cab and keep the speaker connected to the spider 75 for practice.

Thanks everyone, Conan.
I used my Spider IV 75w 1x12 exactly this way recently...

Disconnect the wires from the Speaker Tabs. Take note or take a picture of which wire is which for future reference.

If you know how to solder, the rest is simple... 2-conducor wire with tab clips, other end soldered to a mono 1/4" female jack . . . Plug your amp head into that... Jam away.
Of course!
Unscrew the screws on the top of the box. Pull out the system, and you will notice that it's still connected by some wire. You can simply just unplug the connector that's connected to the motherboard.
Now you can use a connector of the speakers to plug into the motherboard of an amp of your choice
cheers!
What these guys above me said but I want to point out that not all speakers or cabinets are created equal.

Who's to say that the Spider 12" speaker will sound better just because it's 12"? I've never played either but just pointing this out.

Use your ears and play what you like more.

If you want a "Metal" 112 then check out a quality built cabinet with a Celestion Vintage30 or clone - Mesa, Orange, Avatar, etc. . .
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
You need to make sure you match the ohms on the Blackstar head to what the speaker is. Also, you can make/buy a 1/4 speaker cable with spade connectors on one end. Also also, the speaker in the Spider is probably not going to be up to par in sound quality so it is probably not worth messing with in the first place.
Quote by Will Lane
You need to make sure you match the ohms on the Blackstar head to what the speaker is.

Other wise just disconnect the speaker from the amp and hook the speaker to the blackstar. You could even get fancy and make a bracket to hold the wire.
Why not just sell the spider and buy a cab?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Warrior2014

I own a blackstar HT5-Metal head, and the 4X8 cab, as I demoe'd a few amps and speaker cabinet combinations in store before purchase, and my favourite was the 4X8 and the blackstar head.

I'm just curious here. It seems to me that 8" guitar speakers roll off too soon in the bottom, to push a whole lot of your 5th a 6th strings through them. (Without EQ'ing the snot out of them).

What appeals to you about that 4 x 8 sound?

Moving on, if you want loud, (with good bottom), 2 x 12" usually does the trick for that... (I mean without going all stack crazy). 100 watt tube heads can coax maybe 120+ Db out of a pair of twelves....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 2, 2016,
Quote by romeozdistress
Why not just sell the spider and buy a cab?

stop making sense. this is the internet.