I am interested in becoming a Luthier, possibly not full time but something I could do in my spare time, maybe get a few extra dollars here and there. First of all are there any good books or on-line resources to learn guitar repair, second can anybody give me a short list of some must-have tools to at least do some of the more basic things. I know I'd need some fret files and nut files, some electrical pliers and some soldering equipment, drill and possibly a small saw. Anything else, at least to get started.
The "Guitar Player Repair Guide" book by Dan Erlewine will teach you how to set up, maintain, and repair electric and acoustic guitars.
It's a good place to start.
Quote by Guitbuilder
The "Guitar Player Repair Guide" book by Dan Erlewine will teach you how to set up, maintain, and repair electric and acoustic guitars.

Yes, modding and repair would be a good way to get a feel for it.

IMO, the hard bit is finishing, as in spray booth and a lot of practice.
Lots of "guitar" tools can be found at your local hardware store for much cheaper than you can buy from luthier supply stores.

www.stewmac.com has lots of cool guitar specific tools, but they can be a bit pricy IMO.
http://beta.grizzly.com/luthier-supplies has some good tools also

getting a decent kit to assemble and finish is another project that you can do with out having to buy a bunch of tools at first. Yard sale's and Craigslist are a good place to find some good projects that need some TLC also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I ran across stewmac today and you are right, some of those tools, like a file for instance, are priced about 3 times what I could buy it for at Home Depot. The other thing that kind of floored me was the huge number of very specialized tools available and their prices. I doubt you really need them all but if you wanted to have one of everything you better have a winning lotto ticket in your pocket. Could be worse, I could look into the price of getting a Plek machine. I heard they are several thousand dollars, but well worth it. <g>
Quote by Guitbuilder

Thanks, when I was on StewMac's site today I saw that. I'll definitely get a copy, looks like exactly what I want.
Everything is already mention.. I can say +1 Dan Erlewine book, and suggest watching his videos on YouTube. A stright ruler to check whether a guitar neck is straight, has slight forward bow or is back bowed.. I read that it is preferable to have slightly forward bow for better playability. Undersaddle radius gauge or segmented ragius gauge (at least I think that is what they are called.. get radius of neck without removing string). Watch video on YouTube how people make guitar from scatch, how they resolved certain issue, how to do correct fret job, set action and proper guitar care.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.