I'm planning to swap the stock speakers in the Laney Cub12R with Celestion V30 probably, Has anyone did this before ? If so, How does it sound after it ?

From what I read the Celestion V30 is a "mid-range" speaker and doesn't sound nice with open-back. The Laney Cub12R is also a "mid-range" amplifier and an open back (also it's a fairly small one). So I'd like to know will it sound harsh and trebbley ? I feel that the Laney Cub12R could use some more low end so I'd be disappointed if I lost all low-end

If you need the info, I play blues classic and modern rock mostly.
I've got a V30 in an open backed RM20 and it sounds really good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have v30 in a 112 open back and love it. Open/closed is purely preference. It will not all of a sudden make your amp "harsh and trebly" but you will not get the same tight low end boost you get with a closed end. And don't jump ship until you put some hours into breaking it in
I have a 2x12 V30 open back that sounds amazing!

Don't believe what you "hear", including what I said. listen for yourself.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '15 Epi LP Standard with 57/57+ Gibbys
Blackstar S1-45, Marshall DSL100H, JetCity JCA50H
Avatar Hellatone 60 is a Celestion V30 that is broken in for you. This helps remove the harshness V30's have until they have been broken in properly.

Also Mesa Boogie has a slightly different version of the V30 than what you can buy from a store. These are also the only Made in England V30 still in production. Last I checked they were cheaper than the retail of the production MIC V30

But WGS, Eminence, Weber and a few others do a great V30 clone that is cheaper than the Celestions. Avatar has their hellatone V30's for $100ish if you want a cheaper, real Celestion V30
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It you're concerned about harshness or not enough bass you could also get a Celestion Creamback. Supposed to be a sonic hybrid of the old Greenbacks used in Marshall cabs and a V30.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
It you're concerned about harshness or not enough bass you could also get a Celestion Creamback. Supposed to be a sonic hybrid of the old Greenbacks used in Marshall cabs and a V30.

well the Creamback 65 watter is a high powered Greenback (G12m25) and the 75 watt creamback is just a high powered Celestion G12H30. The G12h30 type speakers are kind of a middle of the road speaker between the vintage sound of a greenback also with a more modern sound like a V30.

Just to note the G12h30 speakers were introduced in the late 1960's. The V30 is actually Celestions attempt at making a ceramic magnet Celestion Blue. And the V30 can get a lot closer to the blue sound than some may think
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The V30 has a good amount of mids and especially upper mids so it can initially sound a bit harsh but that will change over time. A V30 takes a LOT of breaking in so the more beans you can give it the better. A really good (and cheaper) alternative to a Vintage 30 is to buy a Veteran 30 from Warehouse Guitar Speakers.

https://wgs4.com/vet30
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by 98NO
From what I read the Celestion V30 is a "mid-range" speaker and doesn't sound nice with open-back.

Biggest nonsense I've heard in months. I very much prefer to use a V30 in an open-backed cab when talking about 1x12" applications.

In very general terms: A closed back will cut bass, making a cab sound tighter with a more defined bottom end ("punchy", if you will). That's extra useful when using many speakers, say, in a 4x12".
An open back allows for extended low-end and will make the sound "fuller". This is useful for small cabs with few speakers, like a 1X12".

There's a bunch of stuff more to consider (internal cab volume per speaker, maybe ports, bla bla bla), but the takeaway in your situation is that a V30 sounds fine in a 1x12", open-backed combo.

Quote by 98NO
The Laney Cub12R is also a "mid-range" amplifier and an open back (also it's a fairly small one). So I'd like to know will it sound harsh and trebbley ? I feel that the Laney Cub12R could use some more low end so I'd be disappointed if I lost all low-end

If you need the info, I play blues classic and modern rock mostly.

Almost all speakers sound a bit harsh and trebly right out of the box, but become more mellow with a couple hours of use.
Haven't tried the 12R with the V30 per se, but we're talking about an amp that's basically a JCM800-preamp coupled with an EL84 power-amp. Hooked up to a V30 it should be pretty nice for rock music of all kinds.

EDIT: Maybe consider getting a used V30. Not hard to find, cheaper, already broken-in and you can sell it what you bought it for if you end up not liking it.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 2, 2016,
I have V30s in my Mesa Roaster Dual Rec 2x12 closed back combo and they sound great, I also had them in my 4x12 Ampeg cab playing a VL1002 head through them again they sounded great.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by TheQuailman

EDIT: Maybe consider getting a used V30. Not hard to find, cheaper, already broken-in and you can sell it what you bought it for if you end up not liking it.

This is what I did for my 5150 combo. Used speakers, already broken in for less and turns out they were made in England on top of it. . . .
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I´m not saying the V30 sucks in smaller cabs, but as for my personal experience, I would recommend you to try the Celestion G12 K100. It has plenty of low end, with the top end being way more juicy and less scratchy, compared to the V30. And it works fine in both open and closed back cabs - I had it in a closed back Hughes&Kettner 112 cabinet, now I have it in my open back Laney Ironheart 30-112 combo (in neither of them as stock, of course) and in both application it is just brilliant! At least to my ears. But please note: it is only produced in a 8-ohm version, no 16-ohm version is available.
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at Jun 2, 2016,
I have a dozen or two V30's in all sorts of cabs. i have K85's in a bunch of cabs too. and some with K85's mixed with V30's. i also have a bunch of T75's and greenbacks, and even T100's. they are all great, just depends on the flavor.

i would go with a V30 in that amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
wgs is worth checking out.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll try the V30 in a couple of days, I can always NOT buy it if I'm not satisfied anyways
I have no idea how the Laney will sound with a V30. I've got an open-back 2x12 Carvin Belair with well-broken-in V30's and it sounds stellar. It is, however, a 50W amp.

Low End requires power, and you're running 15W, and while you'll get low end at low volumes, it will begin to disappear as your volume goes up. The small size of the box on the Laney may make a difference in the sound of the speaker; I'd typify the 16W Carvin Vintage 16 a bit "boxy" with its small cabinet, but the 50W Carvin Nomad (also a 1x12) has a large cabinet and no issues along those lines.
Quote by dspellman
I have no idea how the Laney will sound with a V30. I've got an open-back 2x12 Carvin Belair with well-broken-in V30's and it sounds stellar. It is, however, a 50W amp.

Low End requires power, and you're running 15W, and while you'll get low end at low volumes, it will begin to disappear as your volume goes up. The small size of the box on the Laney may make a difference in the sound of the speaker; I'd typify the 16W Carvin Vintage 16 a bit "boxy" with its small cabinet, but the 50W Carvin Nomad (also a 1x12) has a large cabinet and no issues along those lines.

Why would the low-end disappear at high volumes ?
Quote by 98NO
Why would the low-end disappear at high volumes ?

Short form, The lower the frequency the more power it takes to maintain a given perceived volume. It's not that the low end actually disappears, it's that it gets covered up by the higher frequencies as the volume increases.

That's not a technical explanation, but it should suffice for the question.

There's a reason bass players run 1000w rigs and guitarists run 100w.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Short form, The lower the frequency the more power it takes to maintain a given perceived volume. It's not that the low end actually disappears, it's that it gets covered up by the higher frequencies as the volume increases.

That's not a technical explanation, but it should suffice for the question.

There's a reason bass players run 1000w rigs and guitarists run 100w.

So what are the solutions to this ?
I am a V30 fanboy and one lives well in my 1x12 Mesa. If you are trying to add a lot more bottom this is probably not the best approach for the reasons dspellman noted. Your cab is probably too small for full bass development so dropping a V30 in there may not do what you want it to do. Not the speakers fault. The lowest octave on a guitar produces fairly large waveforms which require more power and/or a larger cabinet to fully develop. It's a physics thing and either way works.

Plug your amps speaker output into a 1960 cab with 4 V30s... Shazaam! Same if you sent your line output to a 500w amp. Big bottom!

Back in the 1930s watts were very expensive but wood was cheap, so enterprising engineers developed folded horn enclosures that could produce tons of low frequency energy with only 20 watts. Today SS watts are dirt cheap and folks want portable, so bass players choose big amps and smaller tuned speakers to get that big bottom. Different ways to arrive at the same place.

If I were you I would...

Get the V30 in a fairly large cabinet to allow those big fat waveforms to fully develop. This should satisfy without breaking the bank.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by 98NO

having a higher power rig.

i wouldn't worry a ton about it, the roll of of lower frequencies of guitar speakers you are probably quite acclimated to.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have the Cub10 that I use to make noise with friends!! Try yours with a 1x12 closed back cab, I do this with mine & it makes a huge difference, but the speaker in mine is only a 10" not a 12". This mutes the onboard speaker so you can hear what it sounds like through just the cab
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
Quote by 98NO

As noted, more power. To a point. Most guitar speakers are designed to handle 25-75W of power, and that's sufficient for most of the guitar range. But a 15W amp isn't going to produce much bottom end when volume increases. Most of the that 15W will go toward midrange volume, with little left over for bottom.
Quote by dspellman
As noted, more power. To a point. Most guitar speakers are designed to handle 25-75W of power, and that's sufficient for most of the guitar range. But a 15W amp isn't going to produce much bottom end when volume increases. Most of the that 15W will go toward midrange volume, with little left over for bottom.

OK that's logical.But if you had to choose to minimize this problem

1-A boost pedal with a bass boost

2-Equalizer

3-Both 1 and 2 ?

4-Would swapping the speakers with the V30 make a difference(not overall tone just the low-end) ? Increase or decrease it ?