I have been looking for a good guitar in the range of 1500$.
Considering Taylor 314e, Gibson J15 and Takamine EF508KC. Which one would you think to be the best, as I play while I sing.
Also visiting New Jersey the next month. I have heard that Guitar Centre gives a handsome discount. Can I bag one for like a 10% discount or something?
Thanking everyone already.
Yes I have heard some people praising the 214 more. But 314 is all about solid wood and has a brighter tone.
And will I find the 314e model, given that its cheaper than the cutaway. Because I find a lot of stores just give the 314ce and not the one without cutaway.
If you can do a side-by-side comparison of a 314 and a 214 with similar age strings, you would get some idea of why one might be preferred over the other. - The brightness of a 314 might be too much of a good thing, given typical Taylor tones. More (price, tone, etc) isn't always better.

The "ce" models are certainly more common than the basic version, it reflects the market. I'm neutral on cutaways, but would prefer to do without the electric, and fit my own.
the J15 for me, without a thought. i've tried a bunch of them, and to me, it sounds great - really sweet and resonant with rich bass, and it's absolutely gorgeous. the taylor's a nice guitar with that taylor brightness at the top, but it doesn't sound as good to me as the J15 and certainly isn't as purty.

the tak is the most expensive all-laminate guitar i've ever seen. it's not a bad guitar for all lam - i'd like it more for $400, but while koa is expensive, there's no knowing what wood is under the koa laminations, and you can expect it to sound a little boxy. i tried several of it back before i realized it was laminate, and couldn't figure out why it wasn't very resonant.

guitar centers around me (i live by 7 of them) won't bargain, however you do have a couple options. first, if you go during a holiday sale, you can get 10% or 15% off one item, and while neither taylor nor gibson takes part, often in store they'll give you the discount anyway. GC has sales for several days around father's day, the 4th of july - not sure when you're going or if i'm forgetting a holiday in there. they might even do a "first days of summer" sale.

if it's not a holiday or they won't apply the discount because of the brand you're buying, you can also get a discount by trading in a piece of musical gear and they'll give you 10% or 15% of your purchase. i traded in a $40 behringer something that i had had hidden in my closet - they gave me like $15 for it plus 15% off our purchase. bring a small pedal or something to use in case you need to trade.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Jun 1, 2016,
local guitar centers? you can try - the worst they can say is no. local stores? depends on your local stores. i have a couple local stores that bargain and a couple that won't.

are you in the u.s.? here if a store is local you have to pay sales tax where if you buy from a lot of sellers that don't have a store in your state, you don't pay sales tax, so even if a local store gives you a deal, it might still cost more due to tax.

they have a scratch and dent J15 at americanmusical.com right now for $1169. maybe they could send you pics showing the scratches or dents if you contact them.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Jun 2, 2016,
Love me some Gibson! Everyone brings up the Martin vs. Taylor acoustic debate but leave out Gibson, maybe because Gibson's are better known for electric? or that they are so pricey? I dunno but I'd take a Gibson any day of the week and twice on Sundays if it was in my budget.
i've played a LOT of gibsons - i suspect the grimy old strings are sometimes the problem tonally. whenever i play one that hasn't been in the store too long, it sings. as far as QC, my husband's 1971 les paul had the flowerpot on the headstock off to one side, and he got a 1968 gibby 12 string with similar issues. i don't think gibson QC has ever been astounding
Quote by Skeet UK
Quote by hotrodney71
Love me some Gibson! Everyone brings up the Martin vs. Taylor acoustic debate but leave out Gibson, maybe because Gibson's are better known for electric? or that they are so pricey? I dunno but I'd take a Gibson any day of the week and twice on Sundays if it was in my budget.

Problem is that Gibson is legendary for shoddy QC these days, but they aren't shy about asking for premium prices anyway. I've read horror stories about guys getting axes from Gibson's custom shop that had rough fret ends and needed other work right off the bat. That's insane. And for those high prices? A guy's new guitar from the custom shop should be PERFECT, period, at any price.
Quote by TobusRex
Problem is that Gibson is legendary for shoddy QC these days, but they aren't shy about asking for premium prices anyway. I've read horror stories about guys getting axes from Gibson's custom shop that had rough fret ends and needed other work right off the bat. That's insane. And for those high prices? A guy's new guitar from the custom shop should be PERFECT, period, at any price.
Actually, the J-15 under discussion is their new "entry level" slope shoulder dread. It's made out of solid walnut, (B & S), and by all accounts, sounds really sweet.
Quote by Captaincranky
Actually, the J-15 under discussion is their new "entry level" slope shoulder dread. It's made out of solid walnut, (B & S), and by all accounts, sounds really sweet.

Never played it. Since you and Patti praise it I'm assuming it's pretty killer. I was commenting about Gibson's new guitars in general, not at the J-15.

What's your opinion of the Epiphone J-45 copy? I signed up to win one for free from Epiphone.
Yeah, Gibson is getting a bunch of customer push back from the automatic electronc tuners on the elctrics.

Here's the J-15: Notice the pretty blonde maple neck, and the walnut B & S.

Last time I saw one pictured, it came with a beautiful hard case lined with royal bule plush.

I'm not even going to dignify the Epiphone question with an answer. That's on the grounds that I'm left handed, they don't make a LH version, and I don't lurk enough around the Epiphone acoustic forum to give you even a 2nd hand answer. (They're pretty biased anyway). Besides even if I did, I wouldn't admit to it. But more importantly, what f***ing earthly difference could it possibly make how a free guitar sounded? You don't like it, you sell it. Sheesh.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 4, 2016,
I feel that gibsons are good at their high end prices. But for entry levels they cut slacks in so many things. The polishing inside, no electronics. I guess taylor's gonna win my choice.
But still I'm preferring to go to a shop and checking them both side by side.
Thanks a lot guys !
Quote by darshthakkar28
I feel that gibsons are good at their high end prices. But for entry levels they cut slacks in so many things. The polishing inside, no electronics. I guess taylor's gonna win my choice.
Thanks a lot guys !
Well, Gibson is putting more effort and ostensibly value, into their entry level instruments these days. The J-15 is an A/E, stock.
http://www.gibson.com/products/acoustic-instruments/2014/j-15-dreadnought.aspx

Quote by TobusRex
Doesn't make any difference to me, but I'd still like to win it!
As well you should, as well would most of the rest of us.

For me, I was born without luck of any kind. I was working with a gentleman who had won the NJ State Lottery to the tune of a million bucks. He asked me to buy him $20.00 worth of "quick picks", in the PA lottery. I advised him against it, on the grounds it was the same as throwing his money in the middle of the street, with my track record. He persisted, and I bought the tickets for him. After the drawing, he said, "you were right, these are the worst tickets I've ever had. There were only 4 or 5 numbers which were drawn, on all 20 tickets".

Thus for me, entering online contests, would be an exercise in giving out personal information, along with enduring the attendant spam that would generate, for the rest of my natural life.
Quote by darshthakkar28
Thanks a lot guys !

The dog I was talking about was Oz$4500, the same street price as a custom Maton.

I think you're right, that you have to trust your ears, and if you do, you might end up falling in love with something a lot cheaper.

However, I personally think it is important to also look at structural issues like neck angle, which can vary a lot, and the only mid-range make in which it doesn't matter at all, because it is so easily fixed, is Taylor.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jun 4, 2016,
garrett999Not sure what the conversion rate is but that looks like a great price on the seagull, $699 is what the SWS goes for in the states. I have that model in the mini-jumbo shape, fantastic solid wood guitar, beautiful too.