Hello! First post here, I'm having a lot of trouble just making riffs, was wondering how people get over not making music they like, I've been trying to make just rock really, like Them Crooked Vultures, Queens of the Stone age and Clutchy type stuff. If anyone has any tips please help! Getting to the point where I don't want to play!
Quote by whywefight
Findig your own sound pretty much comes entirely from sucking at emulating someone elses sound

I didn't think of it like that! Also I'm going to use this in the future! Thanks
listen to more music

while you're trying to figure out a few cool riffs for a song, listen to some music and get inspiration

same thing with lyrics
i read a lot of books, so sometimes i'll even crack open a novel and find words or phrases and i'll write some poetry

don't give up, just keep trying and have fun (try drinking or smoking a little, it helps sometimes..)
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

The Musician Talk board is better for something like this.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Quote by ChrisCrabtree
Seen this before but for some silly reason didn't watch it as thoroughly, interesting and funny!
Thanks

dude that video is your key to the qotsa/tcv style stuff, watch it again

and again
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
It's something that's difficult to do even for very talented people. So don't feel bad.
Sometimes it's best to just mindlessly noodle (low register) and wait until you seemingly automatically play something that sounds awesome.

Sometimes you need to take a break, relax, have a think, and come back to it.
Quote by Primus2112
dude that video is your key to the qotsa/tcv style stuff, watch it again

and again

It really is, he gives away all his favorite chords and scales that he falls back on

So much shit thats like engrained into my playing style now
I've watched a few times over and some of the other guitar moves videos, making riffs while watching and I'm getting each style sort of down, thank you guys! Nice to have some positive input!
try learning some modes that you really enjoy.

for instance pick 2 or 3 chords and play them and loop it.
then learn a shape for the mode, in the key that you would like.
pick a mode that feels good and right to you for the progression.
thats what i would do...

i would also suggest that you learn one shape, then once that shape is memorized, then you should move to the 2nd shape and so on.
once you memorize some of the shapes,it will help you move around the guitar in various ways.
it will help speed up the process of composing in a more precise way for the melody.

all you'll have to do is find the notes you like and figure out how you want it to be played.
everyone has always suggested that i should try to learn modes when i first started writing riffs on guitar.
i was like... PSHHH WHO CARES! XD

now i look back and wished I would have learned what was suggested wayyy back then.
good luck and i hope my input was worth your time!
Last edited by Dragon_ReaverXV at Sep 10, 2016,
Take drugs man?
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻