My budget for a compressor took a hit today when Grawgos' NPD thread made me realise I need to upgrade my Big Muff. As such, I'm now looking for something in the £60-80 ballpark that can - if I may have my cake and eat it - give me both squishy chicken picking compression and just even everything out when that's what I'm after.

So far things I've considered are:
  • MXR Custom Comp - this'd be cool but will be very tough to find in my price range, possibly doesn't have the transparent end of the spectrum and I'm kind of concerned at only having two knobs
  • MXR Dyna or Super Comp - more affordable, not convinced they can manage transparent from what I've read. Dyna Comp obviously also suffers from Not Enough Knobs to Turn Syndrome
  • Boss CS-3 or LMB-3 - both seem to have the versatility, and I can try them out, but I'm not big on the Boss mojo; I see "Boss" and I think "cheap". Clearly that's not entirely fair and if this is the right path to take I'll take it, but I'd prefer an alternative
  • Ashdown Dual Band Bass Compressor - total shot in the dark, I just saw it and thought it looked neat and cheap. Would be glad to hear any opinions
  • Malekko Omicron - heard great things about the brand, plus it's really small, but know nothing about the pedal itself
  • Ibanez CP10 or CP9 - little known fact: while I don't like Ibanez guitars I'm a sucker for their pedals. Brand and price recommend the CP10 to me, don't really know about range of utility and slightly concerned about build quality. CP9 I would 100% jump on if I could find one in my price range, but they tend to look like they've gone a progress through the inner workings of a previous owner's dog if they're not being sold at way inflated prices. In principle, I love my old Maxons, though, so any info on those would be fabulous. Attack time knobs are also promising
  • EHX Soul Preacher - I swear by EHX in many things, but again the control looks limited and I don't believe I've ever heard anyone recommend this thing

If it sounds like my research on this isn't top notch, it's because I've looked into a few of these but the rest were recent additions and I'm mainly looking for any experiences, opinions, or further recs before I go too in-depth.

Oh, and I'm running a Telecaster through a Twin, so ideally I'd like something where I can cut down the loud without boosting the quiet too much, since I pick up plenty of 60 cycle hum. That's part of the reason I'm concerned about minimalist control setups.
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jun 1, 2016,
I've tried a few and my favourite is the Boss LMB-3. It is a bass limiter, but it has what I regard as sensible controls, Threshold and Ratio. The Enhance control could be useful fro brightening up a warm pickup. I'm not interested in increased sustain, just in getting the output more uniform, and I like the subtle squish it yields when I hit the strings hard.

EDIT If you want really cheap and good, the Behringer DC9 is a Dynacomp style. It seems better made than the more typical Behringer 3-knob pedals, but I'm not sure I would trust it for gigging.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jun 1, 2016,
you should have gotten the STOTD on the pigtronix philosopher king. $125. i haven't gotten it yet, but it looks cool.

i am the number one malekko wh0r3 here, but i haven't tried the compressor, but i have liked everything of theirs i have (chorus, trem, 616, 616lo-fi, fetish, unity fuzz, and i think another).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Pffft, what you're looking for is the Biyang CO8 Tone Fancier. I'd be worried bout stomping on it too hard but its not just a cheap compressor, its a good compressor, punchy, shiney and quiet.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Compression isn't my thing, but I think either of these options from Visual Sound* would be good. They generally sound good, are reasonably priced (especially used ones), and the V2 versions of these pedals are built like tanks. There's a video out there of them demonstrating the difference in enclosure strength between V1s and V2s by running over them with a truck.

Visual Sound Comp 66

https://reverb.com/marketplace/effects-pedals?query=visual%20sound%20comp%2066
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MWS2QWlAu2w

And the Visual Sound Route 66 V2 OD/Comp:

https://reverb.com/item/2244230-visual-sound-route-66-v2-overdrive-compression-pedal
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MRk0hjvdVDc
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=guFryxu-syM

* FWIW, they've changed their name to TrueTone, and are releasing updated versions of most of their better pedals.
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Truetone+66
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 2, 2016,
Thanks for the recs, everyone I hadn't considered Visual Sound and I'll definitely take a look at what they offer, though I can't find many instances of just the compressor, and the compressor+TS doesn't much appeal since it's bulky and I already have a TS. Reverb always looks lovely until you see the shipping to the UK

I've had some experience with the Philosopher King, it doesn't play nice with my power supply (the 18V adapter Diago sell doesn't deliver enough current), and is very pricey over here.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am the number one malekko wh0r3 here

What do you think I meant by "heard great things about the brand"?

Will check out the other suggestions
To even things out I use a Mooer Yellow Comp and love it. But I don't think it will really do the chicken picking sound.
^The Mooer Yellow Comp can do the chicken picking stuff. It doesn't really do it the best but as far as a cheap comp goes, I dig it. The EQ function is useful too, the frequency range is different then a normal high cut.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Reverb always looks lovely until you see the shipping to the UK

There must be something more than mere shipping costs dicking y'all over- maybe import taxes or some economies of scale thing. I order stuff from the UK and EU all the damn time- 2 Fret-King guitars, a couple Magnetic Effects pedals, etc.- and have more on my G.A.S. list. Never had a shipping price even slow me down because it might be "outrageous".
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
There must be something more than mere shipping costs dicking y'all over- maybe import taxes or some economies of scale thing. I order stuff from the UK and EU all the damn time- 2 Fret-King guitars, a couple Magnetic Effects pedals, etc.- and have more on my G.A.S. list. Never had a shipping price even slow me down because it might be "outrageous".

Varies. Sometimes the shipping costs are huge - the cheaper of those two Comp 66s on there charges more than the cost of the pedal itself for UK shipping - but yes, anything over £18 ($26, including shipping), is also subject to 20% VAT and an £8 handling charge which certainly doesn't help. It's an absolute pain in the proverbial. eBay's Global Shipping Program is an absolute lifesaver in that regard, since quite often stuff in the US is cheaper until you add that 20% to it.
Yeeks!

I just ordered a Magnetic Effects pedal from reverb, directly from the maker: @$155, +$10 S&H.

I think maybe shippers just hate the UK.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Thanks for the recs, everyone I hadn't considered Visual Sound and I'll definitely take a look at what they offer, though I can't find many instances of just the compressor, and the compressor+TS doesn't much appeal since it's bulky and I already have a TS. Reverb always looks lovely until you see the shipping to the UK

I've had some experience with the Philosopher King, it doesn't play nice with my power supply (the 18V adapter Diago sell doesn't deliver enough current), and is very pricey over here.

What do you think I meant by "heard great things about the brand"?

Will check out the other suggestions

You are indeed a gentleman and a scholar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
i like the pigtronix philosopher king a lot (just came in today though) its basically a weird multi type of thing, but the compression side is the same as the regular philosopher tone. i quite much like it. they (the philosopher tone) can be had relatively cheap used.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I think maybe shippers just hate the UK.

Don't I know it...

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i like the pigtronix philosopher king a lot (just came in today though) its basically a weird multi type of thing, but the compression side is the same as the regular philosopher tone. i quite much like it. they (the philosopher tone) can be had relatively cheap used.

Okay, having had my brief misadventure with the Philosopher King I assumed the PT would be out of my budget, but there are actually a couple of US sellers on eBay under the GSP, so if I got a good price I could probably actually sell it on for more than I'd pay for it should it not work out for me.
Win-win!

Yup! Just relies on me getting the money together in the first place...
I use a Dynacomp. It is noisy and it does change the tone. It rolls off the base and gives a particular sound. I really like the Dynacomp and leave it on most of the time. Adds allows allows me to cut through on clean passages and gives me sustain for distorted leads.

Got a cleaner compressor, but I thing I am going to buy a second Dynacomp for my second pedalboard as I really like the squashed sound.
Yeah, if I don't like the Pigtronix I'll sell it on (hopefully for a profit ) and probably grab a Custom Comp, since it seems to be the Dyna Comp character but a bit quieter.
I recently picked up the tc hypergravity. It is my first compressor. There is alot to tweak on it especially when you get into the tone print on the computer. A couple of issues: 1) there is sometimes a lag in response when adjusting anything. 2) the auto gain can really bring up the noise when set to a high setting 3) a major noticable 'pop' ive read that this has to do with a compressor inverting phase and some loke barber tone press have phase corrected. Is it possible that the hypergravity inverts phase? Im wondering if others can share their experience with it