Help!

I bought a Line6 UX2. It sounds great when I play through its included software, POD farm, but when I try to record, the recording comes out sounding muddy, muffled, and buzzy.

I have tried everything I can think of! I contacted Line6 -- they're useless. I have tried recording in reason, audition, audacity, cakewalk, and ableton -- all of them have the exact same problem. I even took the damn thing to guitar center and tried out different guitars on it. Same problem.

So what's the deal? Shouldn't this $200 piece of equipment be able to record a presentable sound that stays true to what it plays over the monitors? What am I doing wrong?
See what happens if you set audio options in the Line 6 control panel to record dry (sorry I cant remember the exact name) and see if it at least plays back what you hear in monitoring. Its possible you are running it back out thru some onboard fx. I have the KB37 which I think shares the same audio interface guts and it tends to sound pretty good as long as I'm bypassing all the internal junk
Quote by pipelineaudio
See what happens if you set audio options in the Line 6 control panel to record dry (sorry I cant remember the exact name) and see if it at least plays back what you hear in monitoring. Its possible you are running it back out thru some onboard fx. I have the KB37 which I think shares the same audio interface guts and it tends to sound pretty good as long as I'm bypassing all the internal junk

Sorry, I don't see anything in that panel tat says "dry." I also don't see anything that might indicate "dry" under another name. Can you be more specific?
http://line6.com/data/6/0a060b316ac34f0593ccf3e0a/application/pdf/POD%20Farm%202%20Recording%20Setup%20Guide%20%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20A%20).pdf

Under Input Source, select "instrument"

and on recording sends pick "instrument unprocessed"

Try and see if the DI guitar sounds like a DI guitar on playback. If that's correct, you can start to figure out why the onboard fx sound weird on playback, but this is a good place to start
Quote by pipelineaudio

Under Input Source, select "instrument"

and on recording sends pick "instrument unprocessed"

I don't see either of these on the pod farm settings. Where do I find these options?
Check page 2 . 5, http://line6.com/data/6/0a060b316ac34f0593ccf3e0a/application/pdf/POD%20Farm%202%20Recording%20Setup%20Guide%20%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20A%20).pdf

If it still isn't making sense, I'll try and plug my kb37 in and take screenshots.

DI in the case of the UX2 is the instrument input, the 1/4" jack input, there's 2 of them on the UX2, you have to tell the audio drivers that thats the ones you want to use in your DAW, otherwise itll use the mic inputs. Also, it should give you a choice of "instrument unprocessed" in the drivers
Quote by pipelineaudio
Check page 2 . 5

that's for mac. I use windows.

Quote by pipelineaudio
Also, it should give you a choice of "instrument unprocessed" in the drivers

I don't know what "in the drivers" means. What do I have to click on starting from POD Farm to find the place where I am "in the drivers" and can choose "instrument un processed"?
Quote by faceshapes
that's for mac. I use windows.

I don't know what "in the drivers" means. What do I have to click on starting from POD Farm to find the place where I am "in the drivers" and can choose "instrument un processed"?

the windows one is versy similar, look a page up or down to find the windows one
I know this is really confusing stuff and I promise to make it more readable when I get the chance, our little kid rock bands are in to practice now so I gotta get for a bit. Dont give up!
What does the recording sound like if you use a blank tone (no amp/cab, pedals)? Do the input signals in the pod farm mixer look normal?
I am recording it through the UX2 with pod farm open so I can hear myself as I play. It is a USB connection, yes.

When I record a clean signal, it has the same loss of clarity. I listen to the clean signal and it sounds good then I record and it's muffled and shitty.
When you say "clean signal" is it the unprocessed input chosen in the driver panel, or still recorded processed through podfarm?
Quote by BlackFalcon17
What does the recording sound like if you use a blank tone (no amp/cab, pedals)? Do the input signals in the pod farm mixer look normal?

The input signals look normal if I do this, but what is actually recorded is a degraded clarity tone.
Quote by pipelineaudio
When you say "clean signal" is it the unprocessed input chosen in the driver panel, or still recorded processed through podfarm?

I have done it both ways with the same results. if I record the processed signal, it comes out degraded. If I record the clean siglan and process it afterward, even the clean signal sounds bad, then whenI add effects to it, it just carries the low-quality sound into the effects. sounds like shit no matter what.
Try increasing latency to max and record passage, any difference?

What about mono/stereo, how's your signal coming in?

Are you using asio drivers?

Try reinstalling with latest drivers. Write to Line6 support and see what they tell you.
can you post a render of what you are getting? Trying to get an idea for the nature of this sound