Is it a do or a don't? Especially the Dime Showdown ML.
Looking to buy my first decent electric, as I have a very old noname branded guitar and it sounds like ass (through a Marshall MG15).
Or am I better of spending more money, e.g. at a Gibson SG Special 2016?
Thanks.
Quote by gacsibeni
Looking to buy my first decent electric, as I have a very old noname branded guitar and it sounds like ass (through a Marshall MG15).
Thanks.

Pretty much everything will sound like ass through that amp tbh.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Hell no.

I cannot think of a worse-sounding combination of attributes as, 'Cheap Chinese-made Dean guitars'.

In all seriousness, they're really overpriced and inconsistently made.

Buy something else used.

Though it is strange that you're considering getting a guitar like that and then asking if you should get a Gibson SG instead. That's sort of like asking if you should get a BC Rich Warlock or a Fender HSS strat. They're two totally different animals.

Are you sure you know what features you actually want?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 2, 2016,
Quote by gacsibeni
Thanks.

I have a Korean Dean Split Tail it is a list price $1000 guitar I paid like $400 used mint with factory hard case it is really good guitar excellent build quality, fit finish etc. anda damn good player. I also have a Cheap Dean VX that was originally my son's first guitar that I took over when he lost interest, it is Chinese and has a decent neck with Grover tuners it is considerably less quality build fir and finish as my Korean one, but to be fair it is a list price $300 guitar new.

I'll agree with Slapsy here about your amp, for $500 there are a lot of options especially if you go the used route.

What kind of music do you play? What is your location?

The Peavey 6505 combos are a good value and are decent amps and only $699 new and can be found used around $500 or under, the Peavey Viper series are a good choice for under $500 if you want an amp with modelling capabilities, these two off the top of my head but plenty out there for that budget if you are willing to go used and throw in a couple hundred more dollars and your choices will expand.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Well tbh I'm looking for an allrounder, that can handle blues, blues rock, rock, and metal as well. That said, I don't have any specific visions about the guitar itself, I've been also looking at PRS SE 245 as an option, Jacksons, LTD etc.
My location is Budapest, capital of Hungary and there are a shit-ton of retailers.
Last edited by gacsibeni at Jun 2, 2016,
That said, I don't have any specific visions about the guitar itself

Then there isn't much we can helpfully recommend.

With so many different guitars available out there, you need to know what you want.

Going to guitar stores and playing as many different guitars as you can in the interest of knowing what works for you is going to be the most sensible advice anyone here can give you.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 2, 2016,
I'm a big fan of Dean, but the Chinese ones are a hell no.

Look for a used 79 instead. Should be round about that price point.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by gacsibeni
Well tbh I'm looking for an allrounder, that can handle blues, blues rock, rock, and metal as well. That said, I don't have any specific visions about the guitar itself, I've been also looking at PRS SE 245 as an option, Jacksons, LTD etc.
My location is Budapest, capital of Hungary and there are a shit-ton of retailers.

wouldn't recommend a Dime as an all around guitar even after drinking a 750 ml of Jack Daniels . oh and get a better amp as nothing will sound much better through that amp.

I'd highly suggest going to the sops in your area and playing as many different makes and models as you can. go in with a clear mind and just try different guitars. one of them is bound to speak to you and lest you know it's the right one. also keep in mind that as an all around guitar it likely won't do some of what you want perfectly. you may have to prioritize what you want to get the best results.
A used Peavey Valveking 112 is an affordable tube amp that's pretty versatile and works at bedroom volumes reasonably well. If you can find one of these, it would be worth checking out. It would be a definite step up from your current amp. TBH, in retrospect, I should have just dropped the cash on a valve amp from the beginning, instead of going through a succession of less-expensive ones before finally wising up.

With regard to Deans, I had a Korean Dean Cadillac that was pretty decently made. I just never connected with it, so it got sold. I still have a Czech-made Dean V that's really nice ($70, *with* the OHSC; one of my greatest Craigslist scores ever). I've never played a Chinese Dean, but like any other import, different guitars of the same model can differ pretty widely in quality, so I wouldn't rule a particular one out without at least trying it.
Thanks everyone for the tips, definitely will be checking out stores and different guitars, and amps while I'm at it, probably something will catch me anyway. I'm not in a hurry as I can just practice on the acoustic and the shitty electric.
Thanks for the replies so far everyone!
So I've been visiting guitar shops here and there and I have to say that I didn't really have chances to try out the actual guitars and amps I looked up. Basically shops got very limited gear, a few fenders, a few amps and that's that, everything's going through orders. :/ I tried out an Ibanez RG with EMG's in it and it surprisingly didn't really feel good.
Atm I'm looking at a few options here: Korean Dean ML79 Floyd, Gibson SG Faded 2016 T, Squier Jim Root Stratocaster. Someone suggested a MIM HH Strat, I really don't know about that. I'm working 9-5 all summer as an intern to be able to buy my first decent guitar, so I'd like to spend my money the best way. My complete budget will be around 1200$ for guitar + amp, and it should be gigable.
Any opinion is appreciated.
For that sort of versatility, id strongly consider the PRS. I'd also take a look at something like a hardtail Ibanez S
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Look into a Korean made one like the angel of death mustaine
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Who've thought Dean guitars were made from China?
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold hardware)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
Well, ended up buying a MIM HH Strat.
Last edited by gacsibeni at Jul 23, 2016,
Was going to chime in about Chinese Deans as a Dean owner, but...

OK, you have a HH Strat. Great! Now, what amps have you seen around Budapest or online that have interested you? And how much of your budget is left?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
As a good all-around amp, I'd recommend a Marshall DSL40. There is the older DSL401, British-made and some say it sounds a bit better then the newer one, the DSL40C, which is made in Vietnam. The DSL401 made a surprisingly good blues amp, and it also has the stuff to do some metal, though if you want super heavy it may not be the best.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
If you're going to drop $500+ on an ML, for the love of God get a 79 reissue or a Switchblade and not an MLX with Dime's name on it.
Cry yourself to ash
I have a budget of around 450$ for an amp. After browsing the web, the Peavey Bandit 112 seems to be ideal. This can change as I'm waiting until next month. I would like to do small gigs with the amp and have an okay tone for blues, rock and metal.