Hello,

Again with one my questions. I am sorry I cant contribute answering other's doubts but I dont have enough experience to help out.

I want to replace my SG samick SD Designed humbuckers with better pickups.

I would like one of them in the 57 Gibson style or burstbucker 1 or 2 (for an AC/DC sound) and the other one for getting clean tones (let's say for playing songs like Proud Marys or something like this).

I love the combo of this Telecaster but the Tele square body is not for me.

I also heard about switchable pickups with can be changed between single coil and humbucker sound, but dont know much about this.

What would you recommend? Has any of you made a similar change in one of your guitars?

Thanks in advance.
Well, there are a lot of options out there. What kind of budget ya got?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
More or less 200 euros (about $225).
Last edited by frangs at Jun 2, 2016,
So did you actually play that Tele, or do you just like how the pups look? Because honestly, getting an SG to sound like the bridge single coil on a Tele might be tricky.

But far as humbuckers for AC/DC type tones go, any low-output model is worth a look. I use a Duncan '59 in the bridge for this kind of stuff and have very little to complain about. The Alnico II Pro is also nice.
Same for the neck, though I find I prefer either a P-94 type pickup or a Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell for cleans here.

There's plenty of boutique pups out there, too, but 200€ for a pair might not be enough, even with European brands.

Out of interest, what amp are you running?
Quote by TheQuailman
So did you actually play that Tele, or do you just like how the pups look? Because honestly, getting an SG to sound like the bridge single coil on a Tele might be tricky.

But far as humbuckers for AC/DC type tones go, any low-output model is worth a look. I use a Duncan '59 in the bridge for this kind of stuff and have very little to complain about. The Alnico II Pro is also nice.
Same for the neck, though I find I prefer either a P-94 type pickup or a Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell for cleans here.

There's plenty of boutique pups out there, too, but 200€ for a pair might not be enough, even with European brands.

Out of interest, what amp are you running?

I do own the Telecaster and I like the fact that you can get both sounds with the same guitar.
I know that I won't get the same sound with the SG and also different pickups but it was only an example. The Tele humbucker doesnt sound either like those in my SG.

I could also go for second hand pickups, or they dont need to be the high end of the range.
So the Dimarzio from Hell gives clean tones and also is good for distortion or crunchy rock?
Quote by frangs

So the Dimarzio from Hell gives clean tones and also is good for distortion or crunchy rock?

For a humbucker it's pretty low-output and trebly, with fairly reduced mids. People tend to use them in the neck, because it produces a less honky tone than other humbuckers, which helps with cleans a lot. It still sounds very much like a humbucker though.
Works fine with distortion, too, but not better than, say, a Duncan '59 to my ears - not worse either, but I'm not terribly picky with neck lead tones.
The pup's usually not recommended for the bridge position, because it's apparently too bright for most people/applications. Haven't tried that myself though.
Hmmm...

How about a RailHammer Chisel or Anvil in the bridge for the crunch, and their HyperVintage in the neck? Or possibly one of their HB-sized P90s for the neck, like the Cleancut, Nuevo 90 or Billy Corgan.
http://www.railhammer.com/pickups.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Hmmm...

How about a RailHammer Chisel or Anvil in the bridge for the crunch, and their HyperVintage in the neck? Or possibly one of their HB-sized P90s for the neck, like the Cleancut, Nuevo 90 or Billy Corgan.
http://www.railhammer.com/pickups.html

Mmmm.. I just found this about the Chisel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33h_F_tbHYk
Too heavy or even trash metal for me. I am looking for something for classical: late 60's, first 70's sound, open chords.

The HyperVintage could work by what I hear on this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgswJSBe7Gc

One thing I forgot to say is that I need pickups easely available in Europe (Gibson, SD, DiMARzio, etc.. etc... or European brands) because of the customs factor.
I actually have Chisels in a guitar, and they clean up VERY nicely, but I figured the HyperVintage might be more your speed.

As for what is avaialble where you are...I can't really say, I don't track who sells where, just who sells what.

That said...check out Tesla. They're more known for their metal-voiced pickups, but they're producing other stuff as well. I have a HSS custom in which I used Teslas. The bridge was a VR-Extreme (think 80s glam rock) with 2 of their then-new OPUS singlecoils, which have a very nice clean tone. The OPUS line has since expanded into HBs.

They also make the VR-2, VR-3 and VR-60 Classic which are also classically voiced HBs.

Ado check out Lace pickups. In particular, I'm a fan of their Alumitones. I have a trio of their singlecoil-sized ones in a hollowbody. Very clean & crisp.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 2, 2016,
I could get a 57 classic Gibson second hand for around 65 euros for the neck.
I think is a good match for getting closer to an AC/DC sound. Later I would look for a single coil sound for the bridge.
What do you think guys? Is it interchangeable with the Seymour Duncan Designed in terms of size, screw holes positions, etc..? Please some expert advice!!

EDIT: I just found out that the Angus Young signature SG (designed by him at the moment) has or used to have a 57 Classic Gibson on the neck so I guess is a good option for the sound I like.
Last edited by frangs at Jun 3, 2016,
Quote by frangs

What do you think guys? Is it interchangeable with the Seymour Duncan Designed in terms of size, screw holes positions, etc..? Please some expert advice!!

Yes, it'll fit no problem.

Far as the bridge pup goes, if you want an AC/DC type tone, your best bet is a humbucker. Another Gibson 57 would be just fine, but any "vintage" or "PAF" type pup will work well.
Quote by TheQuailman
Yes, it'll fit no problem.

Far as the bridge pup goes, if you want an AC/DC type tone, your best bet is a humbucker. Another Gibson 57 would be just fine, but any "vintage" or "PAF" type pup will work well.

Thanks a lot. For the bridge I was thinking of buying a single-coil in the body of a humbucker for not having to make modifications. Would like to play open clean chords with the same guitar just switching the pick-up toggle.
Quote by frangs
Thanks a lot. For the bridge I was thinking of buying a single-coil in the body of a humbucker for not having to make modifications. Would like to play open clean chords with the same guitar just switching the pick-up toggle.

why not get a 4 conductor HB and coil-tap it? then you get HB and single-coil tones out of one pickup.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
why not get a 4 conductor HB and coil-tap it? then you get HB and single-coil tones out of one pickup.

mmmm ... Should to study how to do it. you mean for the bridge, dont you? it is my first pickup swapping so I have too many things to take into account. (Starting with which pickup I want because there such a wide range)

I'll probably get the 57 classic for the neck and after testing it I will consider that option for the bridge, but I guess I'll need to change the pots and wiring.... I will google it.
Another good HB to check out would be the Seymour Duncan '59- my favorite SD HB. Capable of great vintage tones and winds nice through your amp's crunchier settings, too.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Another good HB to check out would be the Seymour Duncan '59- my favorite SD HB. Capable of great vintage tones and winds nice through your amp's crunchier settings, too.

This was another model that appeared often when reading some opinions in Internet but I think I'll stick to the 57 classic. Someone is offering it for 65 euros and I think it is a good change coming from the SD Designed. It is from a Classic Gibson 2008 guitar.

Now I am considering to put a Filter-Tron on the bridge; they sound quite clean without distortion and offer a good performance with saturation (Malcolm Young....)
I didnt check if they fit exactly in the standard humbucker socket.

What do you think?
Well, I know almost all of the TV Jones pickups can be had in any of the housing sizes they make, so if you're talking about THEIR version, it will fit.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, I know almost all of the TV Jones pickups can be had in any of the housing sizes they make, so if you're talking about THEIR version, it will fit.

I didnt know. Most of the times they show them like this: http://www.brinksmusik.com/Bilder%20Elek/TV%20Jones/english_med_Chrome.jpg

I could get some TV Jones Powertron or Magnatron but they are in the above format, which I guess is not compatible with the humbucker housing in my guitar.

Also, some guy is offering a Sonic-Six Humbucker Sized Single Coil Pickup (http://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/creamery-sonic-six-humbucker-sized-single-coil-pickup.html) which i didn't know, and they sound really great on some video: clean and crystalline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DvG5zZ6c_k

Has someone of you tried one of these from the Creamery guys? They seem to sound great.
I haven't tried THAT pickup from The Creamery, but I do have a HB & HB-sized P90 set made by them in a custom Teleclone. Damn good sounding pickups.

They're on my list of "premium" pickup makers I love, along with Rio Grande, TV Jones, Lollar, Vintage Vibe, and Bareknuckle.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 5, 2016,
Thanks dannyalcatraz.

I already bought the Gibson Classic 57 and I am almost decided on the Creamery single-coil.

The only concern is if they both will sound Ok when played together, I sent an e-mail to thecreamery website querying about this.