About 2 days ago my amp got fried and I'm looking for a new one and found an old 70s univox 400 2x10 for $150 and I was wondering if the amp would be loud enough to play in a rock band like Black Sabbath, Jefferson airplane, Cream, The Grateful Dead etc. And not be drowned out by drums?
I'm thinking it's going to struggle to keep up if you don't have a PA.

For $150 you could probably find a large Vox VT series.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
This amp will not be loud enough to play in a rock band like Black Sabbath, Jefferson airplane, Cream, The Grateful Dead. You need 4 or 6 full stacks to play in these bands.

If you want to play in a cover's band that does small gigs it might be big enough if the drummer is not too loud, but suggest at least 50W (valve) 2x12 for this, but preferable a 100W (valve) half or full (2 x 4 x 12) stack.
Quote by PSimonR
This amp will not be loud enough to play in a rock band like Black Sabbath, Jefferson airplane, Cream, The Grateful Dead. You need 4 or 6 full stacks to play in these bands.

If you want to play in a cover's band that does small gigs it might be big enough if the drummer is not too loud, but suggest at least 50W (valve) 2x12 for this, but preferable a 100W (valve) half or full (2 x 4 x 12) stack.

Seriously?

No. Just No.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
You can play in a band scenario with a surprisingly small amp these days, but that's for more modern amps. I've had to use my backup Vox VT40+ in the past due to fucktard promoters saying there's a guitar cab and there isn't. I mean the amp worked and it was certainly loud enough, but to be honest small speaker cones just simply don't travel - they're physically not pushing enough air to make it past bodies, gear, and all that other stuff. It was an okay experience.

For me and for my experience, I think that amp will do on fine. Too many bands turn it too damn loud anyway, sometimes I think they want to drown out the vocalist. But then if you're in a Sabbath band all they'll do is just turn everything up without a care in the world

I think that amp could handle it.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
what amp did you have and what do you mean by "fried"? Perhaps it's more equitable to have it fixed?
Moving on.....
Buy New Amp Mustang 2 Is 200 40 Watts 12 Inch Speaker Or Get The Mustang 3 75 Watts .neve Buy Old Stuff You Do Not Know If It Will Work
Quote by INSULIN
Buy New Amp Mustang 2 Is 200 40 Watts 12 Inch Speaker Or Get The Mustang 3 75 Watts .neve Buy Old Stuff You Do Not Know If It Will Work

Nonsense.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Well, according to this page : http://www.vintageunivox.com/amps/uniamp.html
Thats a 35 watt solid state amp.
35 watt solid state usually won't cut it in a band situation, unless the drummer is built and moves like Stephen Hawking.
30 tube would (A Vox AC30 can put most 50 and 100 watt amps to shame, volume wise).
That's what I was thinking. "Isn't this one of those crappy SS Univoxes?"
So even if it was loud enough, does it even matter?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
That's what I was thinking. "Isn't this one of those crappy SS Univoxes?"
So even if it was loud enough, does it even matter?

no those amps are pretty dreadful and certainly not up to Black Sabbath or much else.
Quote by INSULIN

what an amazing revelation.

shut down eBay, GC used, and Reverb, STOP BUYING USED AMPS!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/