Looking for an inexpensive tube combo amp that can get loud and has a great distortion sound. I've always been partial to Peaveys for whatever reason (almost every amp I've ever owned was a Peavey) and am wanting to graduate from the IMHO great sounding TransTube sound to real tubes.

Problem is I only have a couple hundred bucks to spend. Seriously like $250 to $300. I have seen them on GC used for between $200 and $300USD. I'm also open to other suggestions as to good sounding tube amps in that price range.

The music I play mostly is '90s & '00s stuff, AIC, Soundgarden, King's X, Saigon Kick, Disturbed, Creed, Dream Theater, 36Crazyfists, Armored Saint, Dokken, you know, Loud and ballsy with lots of crunch but not over the top.

What say you?
BC Rich Platinum ST3 w/ EMG 82's
BC Rich/Kahler Nagoya Assassin W/SD SSL-3 and SH-4
MIM Fender Strat
USA Telecaster
Charvelle Surfcaster
Peavey Transtube Supreme
Peavy 4-12 stereo cab
ART SGX2000 Express
I think the classic series amps are better sounding than the valvekings, but, your best option is to go into a store and plug into them. The valveking is going to be more 'modern' voiced than the classic 30 which will have a British voice. Both have plenty of gain for what you want to play, it's just a question of which flavor/voice you prefer.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
i think the classic is a better amp, but the valveking would be better for your uses.

with the VK, you need to do the dummy jack thing for sure, and you will need an OD and likely an EQ to get decent results.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I do agree Classic 30 is an overall better amp but you also have other options and since you want to go used with a bit of luck and patience they can be had around (or slightly over) your budget. You might want to take a look at Peavey's Ultra line, namely Ultra, Ultra Plus, XXX and JSX. The last one might be the dearest of them all. The crunch chanel on those amps should get you the sounds your after with plenty of gain to spare and if you ever want to go heavier (e.g. Machine Head and such) the Ultra chanel has more gain than anyone will ever need. And an overdrive pedal isn't necessary as those amps are tight enough on their own.
Quote by tsc86
I do agree Classic 30 is an overall better amp but you also have other options and since you want to go used with a bit of luck and patience they can be had around (or slightly over) your budget. You might want to take a look at Peavey's Ultra line, namely Ultra, Ultra Plus, XXX and JSX. The last one might be the dearest of them all. The crunch chanel on those amps should get you the sounds your after with plenty of gain to spare and if you ever want to go heavier (e.g. Machine Head and such) the Ultra chanel has more gain than anyone will ever need. And an overdrive pedal isn't necessary as those amps are tight enough on their own.

good advice but probably not doable with the OPs budget. Ultra's are getting harder to find and aren't that cheap.

I have both an Ultra and a VK and while the Ultra may be the better choice the VK can work as well. as mentioned an overdrive will help with the heavier sounds (forget the boost button as it's fairly worthless at band volumes)

the Classic 30 is a good amp but seems to work better for blues and classic rock tones it really isn't meant for heavier stuff.
Quote by ThunderPunk
I think the classic series amps are better sounding than the valvekings, but, your best option is to go into a store and plug into them. The valveking is going to be more 'modern' voiced than the classic 30 which will have a British voice. Both have plenty of gain for what you want to play, it's just a question of which flavor/voice you prefer.
The lead channel is Marshall-voiced, so British. :p

I think the VK would be better suited here. Buy one, then save up some more cash to get a new speaker (Vintage 30 probably) and fresh tubes in. It might also sound pretty nice through your 4x12 cab, just make sure you match the ohms correctly.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jun 4, 2016,
I have almost every version of the Classic somewhere in my appartment or rehearsal room. They´re excellent amps that also take pedals well. The only thing they don´t do is really bright and clean Fenderish cleans. Your choice in music doesn´t sound like you need those.
Quote by Will Lane
The lead channel is Marshall-voiced, so British. :p

I think the VK would be better suited here. Buy one, then save up some more cash to get a new speaker (Vintage 30 probably) and fresh tubes in. It might also sound pretty nice through your 4x12 cab, just make sure you match the ohms correctly.

If we want to be picky - the Valveking and Classic 30 basically share the same distortion channel/circuit - just different eq resistor slope values etc. It's all a matter of 'voicing' and to my ear the Valveking is voiced more toward the modern high gain whereas the Classic is more toward the JCM 800 type stuff.

Perhaps, 'British' wasn't the best descriptor, but when I hear 'British' I tend to think old school Marshall, Vox, type amps (not necessarily modern high gain amps of which Marshall also produces). The VK is not as fire-y as the 6505, but it is still a modern sounding rock amp with a very nice clean channel (it's copying Fender for that channel).
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
If we want to be picky - the Valveking and Classic 30 basically share the same distortion channel/circuit - just different eq resistor slope values etc. It's all a matter of 'voicing' and to my ear the Valveking is voiced more toward the modern high gain whereas the Classic is more toward the JCM 800 type stuff.

Perhaps, 'British' wasn't the best descriptor, but when I hear 'British' I tend to think old school Marshall, Vox, type amps (not necessarily modern high gain amps of which Marshall also produces). The VK is not as fire-y as the 6505, but it is still a modern sounding rock amp with a very nice clean channel (it's copying Fender for that channel).
Ahh, yes.
Quote by ThunderPunk

yeah they wanted to promote it as a "metal" amp but it can't really do what is considered metal now a days. I think the classic falls a little short of a JCM 800 in the gain dept but not by much.