Long time viewer, first time poster ... with what might seem a dumb question about constructing major chords.
Most sites etc seem to refer to the C major chord as an example. They say to number notes something like this -
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C D E F G A B
then go on to explain that a major chord is made up of 1, 3, 5. So for C major C E G. Then a beginner guitar chord is used to illustrate X C E G C E to prove the point.

Most explanations then go into detail beyond what I want to understand at this stage.

But what I don't understand is beyond C and G.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C D E F G A B beg chord X C E G C E (CEG )
A B C D E F G beg chord X A E A C# E (why not ACE ? ? )
G A B C D E F beg chord G B D G B G (GBD )
E F G A B C D beg chord E B E G# B E (why not EGB ? ? )
D E F G A B C beg chord X A D A D F# (why not DFA ? ? )

why do A, E & D majors include sharps(flats) instead of the full notes? i would like to understand before trying to understand more complicated chord formation.

thanks.
Hey!

Long time viewer and first time poster here as well.

What kabadi.man said is on the mark.

Incidentally, I just recently created a worksheet that you can use to help you with this very thing, in addition to learning how you can make a major chord scale.

Check it out, along with the supplementary post:

Some Rad Guitarist’s Major Chord Scale Worksheet: Tertian Harmony

https://someradguitarist.wordpress.com/2016/06/03/some-rad-guitarists-major-chord-scale-worksheet-tertian-harmony/

Perhaps just focus on the major, minor, and diminished triads for now.
Last edited by somradguitarist at Jun 3, 2016,
Quote by kabadi.man
The chord is comprises of the first, third and fifth note of any given scale.
the C Major scale has no sharps or flats, hence why a C major chord has no sharps or flats

the A major scale is A B C# D E F# G#
so an A major chord comprises of the first 3rd and 5th notes of the A major scale and is thus A C# E.

if you learn the C major scale shape starting on the A string 3rd fret, then move the whole shape up 2 frets. it now starts on D. thats the D major scale. pick the 1st 3rd and 5th notes of that scale, theres your D major chord. Slide the shape up another 2 frets, thats now an E major scale, pick the first 3rd and 5th, thats your E major chord.

In the early days, its all about scales and shapes.

Thanks for your quick response. I'll print out what you said and get fretting. Seems I misunderstood most the explanations I found on the web. Or they are written from the point of view of someone who already understands, but doesn't remember the confusion of not understanding.
Quote by somradguitarist
Hey!

Long time viewer and first time poster here as well.

What kabadi.man said is on the mark.

Incidentally, I just recently created a worksheet that you can use to help you with this very thing, in addition to learning how you can make a major chord scale.

Check it out, along with the supplementary post:

Some Rad Guitarist’s Major Chord Scale Worksheet: Tertian Harmony

https://someradguitarist.wordpress.com/2016/06/03/some-rad-guitarists-major-chord-scale-worksheet-tertian-harmony/

Perhaps just focus on the major, minor, and diminished triads for now.

Thanks. At the moment your worksheet looks quite daunting. I've saved it in favourites and I'll have a look at your supplement

https://someradguitarist.wordpress.com/2016/06/03/supplement-to-some-rad-guitarists-major-chord-scale-worksheet-tertian-harmony/

after I've worked out what kabadi man means!
first I'll focus on the major triads only to start!!!