Hi everyone. So a month ago I bought a Jackson SLATH-M 3-7 with nazgul/sentient pickups. When I got it home I first noticed that it was a little more quiet and had a lot more microphonic squealing than my other guitar with EMG HZ pickups. In order to play it on the same volume as the EMG guitar (on the same amp settings), I had to lower the gain for about 30%, almost to the point where there wasn't any gain at all. Ofc I took it to a guitar tech to set it all up and stuff. And he couldn't find any problems.
I first talked to SD's staff and they told me that there shouldn't be any more feedback than from my passive EMG's and that I should send the guitar back to the store where I bought it, to get it fixed. So I sent the guitar back to Thomann and they compared it with an other Jackson slat with the same pickups and said that this is normal for the guitar.
Can anyone confirm this? Are the pickups really that noisy? Should I get them repotted or something? I really don't know what to do here...
Thanks!
Quote by vanleonson
Hi everyone. So a month ago I bought a Jackson SLATH-M 3-7 with nazgul/sentient pickups. When I got it home I first noticed that it was a little more quiet and had a lot more microphonic squealing than my other guitar with EMG HZ pickups. In order to play it on the same volume as the EMG guitar (on the same amp settings), I had to lower the gain for about 30%, almost to the point where there wasn't any gain at all. Ofc I took it to a guitar tech to set it all up and stuff. And he couldn't find any problems.
I first talked to SD's staff and they told me that there shouldn't be any more feedback than from my passive EMG's and that I should send the guitar back to the store where I bought it, to get it fixed. So I sent the guitar back to Thomann and they compared it with an other Jackson slat with the same pickups and said that this is normal for the guitar.
Can anyone confirm this? Are the pickups really that noisy? Should I get them repotted or something? I really don't know what to do here...
Thanks!

How much gain are you using?
What amp is it?
how close to the amp are you? If you move farther away from the amp does it stop or lessen at all?
Does the squealing stop if you mute the strings and hold them?

I don't have any experience with those pickups, but that is a quick check list to see if you can figure out if there is a grounding issue
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would talk to Duncan. Is it a covered pickup? Duncan had some problems with covered nazguls being very microphonic.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Robbgnarly
How much gain are you using?
What amp is it?
how close to the amp are you? If you move farther away from the amp does it stop or lessen at all?
Does the squealing stop if you mute the strings and hold them?

I don't have any experience with those pickups, but that is a quick check list to see if you can figure out if there is a grounding issue

I'm using a JetCity jca50h with a rocktron piranha pre-amp. I've been using the same settings with all my guitars with no problem.
Im about 3,5meters away from the amp. The squealing stops when I mute and hold them but after a very long time.
Quote by oneblackened
I would talk to Duncan. Is it a covered pickup? Duncan had some problems with covered nazguls being very microphonic.

Pickups are not covered and both are direct mounted. I talked to duncan, they just said that there might be a problem with the pickups and I should send the guitar back to the store. I got a mail from the store today that they didnt find any problems and if they should send the guitar back or if I want my money back.
Last edited by vanleonson at Jun 3, 2016,
Quote by vanleonson
Pickups are not covered and both are direct mounted. I talked to duncan, they just said that there might be a problem with the pickups and I should send the guitar back to the store. I got a mail from the store today that they didnt find any problems and if they should send the guitar back or if I want my money back.

Will Thomann send you another of the same model to try?