I've been looking forward to buying my first electric guitar after playing a sweet acoustic for about an year and a half. I've shortlisted 2 entry level guitars as I'm low on budget.. First is Cort Zenox Z42 and the second is Schecter SGR C-1
My confusion here is that the Z42 has got 2 active dynamite pickups and the SGR has 2 schecter diamond plus humbuckers.. I'm more into classic rock of the Led Zeppelin, AC/DC and Slash style.. Also play around with a little blues.. What would be better suited for my style ?
Also any other guitar suggestions are welcome! (NOT Fender though. I just don't like it's looks )

PS: I'm from india and the most dependable online music store would be Bajaao
Last edited by padhybiswaranja at Jun 3, 2016,
I'm not familiar with either of those pickups, but as a general rule for entry level instruments neither is going to be particularly impressive. It's pretty likely that both will be passable middle-of-the-road pickups and there won't be any massive tonal variation to be had. (This is not meant as an insult, as even entry level instruments are generally pretty decent in the current market.)

Buy the one you prefer and pretend it's the best, it's what we all do...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
For classic rock and blues do not get active pickups. Active pickups are geared towards extremely high gain guitar, modern metal etc .

Passive pickups are what you want for blues and rock, it's a more organic tone.
Quote by reverb66
For classic rock and blues do not get active pickups. Active pickups are geared towards extremely high gain guitar, modern metal etc .

Passive pickups are what you want for blues and rock, it's a more organic tone.

Or...you know...Jazz...

There are a LOT of actives out there, and the claim that they are only for the genre's you suggest hasn't been true for a very long time.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Or...you know...Jazz...

There are a LOT of actives out there, and the claim that they are only for the genre's you suggest hasn't been true for a very long time.

True, but budget actives running on 9V (i.e. that Cort) are probably going to have all the compression people complain about with actives. Probably not what you'd want for classic rock and blues.

OP, could you find a secondhand Epiphone Les Paul Standard or G-400 on your budget? That sounds like it'd be your thing for the bands you listed in your post.
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jun 3, 2016,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
True, but budget actives running on 9V (i.e. that Cort) are probably going to have all the compression people complain about with actives. Probably not what you'd want for classic rock and blues.

OP, could you find a secondhand Epiphone Les Paul Standard or G-400 on your budget? That sounds like it'd be your thing for the bands you listed in your post.

Can't get the standard.. That's about double my budget.. But I can however get a Epiphone Les Paul Special II LTD or Ibanez GSA60/GS270 if they're any good.
I have the diamond select pickups in my schecter omen 6. They sound great. Crunch when I want it and nice, full cleans.
I would get those before I get the no name actives.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by padhybiswaranja
Can't get the standard.. That's about double my budget.. But I can however get a Epiphone Les Paul Special II LTD or Ibanez GSA60/GS270 if they're any good.

LTD have some good stuff, but probably not in your price range. That level of Epiphone or Ibanez I wouldn't bother with.

Is there any sort of used gear market where you are? You can do much better for your money at this sort of price point if you can buy secondhand stuff.
Buy the guitar that fits your hands the best. Pickups are easily changed later.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Maybe the Cort has a bit more 'classic' look but in my experience, the Schecter C-1 is not at all a bad selection for a first electric guitar, and I believe those are built a bit better than Corts.
Besides, if it's your first electric guitar, it really won't matter if the pickups are passive or not, but in my opinion, active pickups are more expensive so it's possible that other components on the Cort are lower quality than the ones on the Schecter. Also, active pickups require a 9V battery, so if you're not going to use it for a while, it's not recommended to keep the battery connected, and you might need to change it several times depending on how long you keep the guitar.

TL;DR - you don't need active pickups if this is your first electric guitar -and- I trust the quality of Schecter over Cort, even if it's just slightly.
i don't think either of those pickups sound promising, they are probably both junk you will throw out down the road. get the guitar you like better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I bought EMG 81s and 85s, and I have to say the stock pickups they rreplaced might be better all around. The emgs are only good for playing single notes. Chords do not sound too nice. I thought they would be super heavy for rhythm, but they are not.
The pickups in my SGR 7 string were complete unmitigated garbage. The Corts couldn't really be worse. But meh, I just replaced them. Well, one to go. Guitar good, pups bad. Big whoop, swapping them is easy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I picked up an ESP LTD Viper 10 for 40 quid secondhand a few weeks ago. It's one heck of an entry level guitar. I wish they'd made cheap guitars this good back in the 80's when I started playing.

Main things to consider are if it stays in tune,distorts without squeeling and doesn't sound muddy and indistinct. The Viper 10 didn't have any of those faults. Ibanez grg series is good too but the trems aren't so good, easy to hardtail (ish) with a couple of extra springs though. They can be had for 50-100 quid secondhand, I managed to pick one up for 25.
Last edited by guitar-name at Jun 6, 2016,
I think a real Les Paul would suit you far better, and they have really decent electronics for the sound you want, can you not get your hands on a used Epiphone LP, or an Epi Les Paul Junior?

- Sorry, just saw you already said the Epi is out of your price range. I've got no suggestions for anything cheaper than that, it's all pretty much the same.
Last edited by dragonzrmetal at Jun 6, 2016,
I don't see why anyone would get active unless that is the sound they are going for.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Quote by NostraHistoria
I bought EMG 81s and 85s, and I have to say the stock pickups they rreplaced might be better all around. The emgs are only good for playing single notes. Chords do not sound too nice. I thought they would be super heavy for rhythm, but they are not.

One wonders how that miserable rhythm hack Hetfield managed with EMG's...
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
One wonders how that miserable rhythm hack Hetfield managed with EMG's...

Yeah, I'm with you. I think the 81 sounds articulate with a ton of notes. Guess its all in the total setup but when I think articulate, hear every note with high gain my first response is actives.

Maybe that's why their standard gear for most modern high gain metal tones? Now passives have caught up a good bit but to my ears if you compare an EMG 81 to a SD JB the 81 is way clearer with the rest of the setup the same.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Yeah, I'm with you. I think the 81 sounds articulate with a ton of notes. Guess its all in the total setup but when I think articulate, hear every note with high gain my first response is actives.

Maybe that's why their standard gear for most modern high gain metal tones? Now passives have caught up a good bit but to my ears if you compare an EMG 81 to a SD JB the 81 is way clearer with the rest of the setup the same.

It almost seems unfair to compare an 81 with an SD JB. I don't know if my tastes have changed or if SD changed the formula, but the JB just seems thin and flat to me now. Now comparing an 81 with a Bare Knuckles Nailbomb on the other hand may yield different results. I know a guy who put Nailbombs in his Charvel San Dimas, and that guitar is a monster, now.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Last edited by Nolasludge at Jun 7, 2016,