Quote by bruce123k
Is it possible to play without knowing how to hybrid pick?

It's a strange question and I'm inclined to say no.

Not because I know for a fact that it's physically impossible (I don't) but because if you're good enough to play it you're probably good enough that you've learned hybrid picking.

So if you can't hybrid pick, you probably can't play it.

I may be wrong.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
You'll achieve the subtle nuances in tone from the plucked notes with hybrid picking. It's a really nice pure sound when using the fingers.
Quote by Arby911

Not because I know for a fact that it's physically impossible (I don't) but because if you're good enough to play it you're probably good enough that you've learned hybrid picking.

I may be wrong.

Pretty much this. If you're good enough to tackle something like that, you probably should be perfectly capable of learning to hybrid pick.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Pretty much this. If you're good enough to tackle something like that, you probably should be perfectly capable of learning to hybrid pick.

We.....agreed?

Prepare, for the end is nigh!!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

I may be wrong.

So it's like "If you've had enough experience, you've already learned it"?
That's how I interpreted your post
Quote by Arby911
We.....agreed?

Prepare, for the end is nigh!!

We agree often enough. You're probably just too old to remember things.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by bruce123k
So it's like "If you've had enough experience, you've already learned it"?
That's how I interpreted your post

He's saying that that song is difficult enough that if you're at a level of playing where you could pull it off easily in the first place then you're also good enough that you could learn how to hybrid pick pretty easily as well. Once you've reached a certain threshold of skill with the instrument in general new techniques are usually easier to pick up. Not that you would just automatically be able to do it perfectly, just that it wouldn't take nearly as much time as a novice trying to learn how to do it.

But yea, if there are no notes that are played at the same time that aren't on consecutive strings then it should be technically possible to do it without hybrid picking, but from what I know of the song (never tried it) it would be way harder than just learning to hybrid pick. Without hybrid picking it would require some crazy fast and accurate string skipping.
Quote by mdc
Yup, the pedal point lick in the intro requires hybrid picking.

For the longest time, I was looking at that lick like "nope, never going to be able to play that". After discovering and learning hybrid picking, I instantly realized what was going on. I definitely recommend learning hybrid picking anyway, it's pretty useful.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here