So I want to make a rock band at my highschool. Problem is, I don't think anyone but the orchestra, band, and the beginner guitar players know how to play the essentials (bass guitar, rhythm guitar, drum kit -maybe the percussionists?-). I mean, I think I can try to make an art rock band or something.

(School is ghetto-ish) if that clears up some questions about my school.
Quote by bruce123k
So I want to make a rock band at my highschool. Problem is, I don't think anyone but the orchestra, band, and the beginner guitar players know how to play the essentials (bass guitar, rhythm guitar, drum kit -maybe the percussionists?-). I mean, I think I can try to make an art rock band or something.

(School is ghetto-ish) if that clears up some questions about my school.
good luck. not only are you dealing with inexperienced musicians, but you have puberty, hormones, immaturity, and lack of drivers' licenses to deal with among other things.

you will seriously have more success if you learn to play/program the instruments you need yourself.

then again i am just a negative nancy because i was in a highschool band (both the band and a band) and neither of them went well. the a band did not go well because of the reasons above.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jun 3, 2016,
It will only give you more headaches. Instead of wasting your time practice more and later on join a proper band with real musicians.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
While it seems pretty negative - wait until the later years of your education to embark on this journey. Like others - I have stories of bands and emotions and hormones that go everywhere and nowhere.

Although - I will encourage you to sit and play with any and every person who can play more than 2 chords on a guitar. I've learned more watching others play, than I have from practicing by my lonesome.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
If it has some positives, at least you won't be like a lot of guys who are terrified to play in front of anyone else. And you may make some good friends along the way.
Quote by gtc83
If it has some positives, at least you won't be like a lot of guys who are terrified to play in front of anyone else. And you may make some good friends along the way.

And the inevitable screwups at any gigs you do get make for awesome stories...a few years later when they aren't so raw...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Just give it a go. What's the worst that could happen(apart from getting crabs from the drummer's girlfriend)?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Finding your long time ladyfriend cuddled up next to your bandmate you thought was your bfffffffffff in the practice room.

And by cuddled, I mean we had no furnature, it looked like she tripped, and he fell trying to help her to her feet.

And by help, I mean he wasn't wearing pants.

And by feet, I could see the bottoms of hers.

Oh, that was a fantastic day.
Quote by dPrimmy
Finding your long time ladyfriend cuddled up next to your bandmate you thought was your bfffffffffff in the practice room.

And by cuddled, I mean we had no furnature, it looked like she tripped, and he fell trying to help her to her feet.

And by help, I mean he wasn't wearing pants.

And by feet, I could see the bottoms of hers.

Oh, that was a fantastic day.

Only two realistic responses when that happens.

Walk away or join in.

Freaking out don't change shit.
Charles Darwin
Walked over to my halfstack., unplugged cables. Wound them around my forearm while getting the "it's not what it looks like" explanation.

Put make-shift pedalboard atop amplifier head while they looked at me.

"No reason to stop on my account...."

Wheeled the half and associated hardware out the practice pad and to my truck. I was out of there before they got re-dressed.

That was the last ladyfriend I invited to practice. It's also the last time I've shown up early to a practice.
Quote by dPrimmy
Walked over to my halfstack., unplugged cables. Wound them around my forearm while getting the "it's not what it looks like" explanation.

Wheeled the half and associated hardware out the practice pad and to my truck. I was out of there before they got re-dressed.

That was the last ladyfriend I invited to practice. It's also the last time I've shown up early to a practice.

Should have shagged him up the pooper first.
Quote by Diemon Dave
It's only homosecular if the balls touch, right?

We're all women with the lights off.

2003 was certainly a unique year for me.
Last edited by dPrimmy at Jun 3, 2016,
Quote by dPrimmy
It's only homosecular if the balls touch, right?

We're all women with the lights off.

2003 was certainly a unique year for me.

TBH, if he was shagging her, it's more like wearing him as a condom.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by dPrimmy

See, you were smart enough to take not one but two valuable things away from the situation.
Charles Darwin
fuck all these haters man! just go for it. make a cool band and play whatever you want, don't take it seriously, get drunk, party and have fun!
Quote by Arby911
See, you were smart enough to take not one but two valuable things away from the situation.

My axe, and my Traynor Mark3? Yep.
Your school is ghetto-ish? What does that mean? You live in the part of white Suburbia where kids listen to rap music?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
My advice is start writing songs yourself first. When I first started a band my friends and I had never written a song, let alone written collaboratively. The real battle is song writing, not finding band mates.
hello
Quote by bruce123k
Problem is, I don't think anyone but the orchestra, band, and the beginner guitar players know how to play the essentials (bass guitar, rhythm guitar, drum kit -maybe the percussionists?-).
There's hundreds of students. I think the odds are a lot higher than that. You just don't know about them.

No, the real problem is that the one's who do are more than likely not very experienced/beginners in their own right. You can find them and chance it, but my experience doing so was so pitiful you couldn't even call it a band. You'd have to be pretty lucky to find enough people talented enough to form a functionable band right off the bat.

A few years after I graduated I really mastered the heck out of it (I get praised here often. ), so maybe you should consider giving it time to find people who've reached their potential, as previously suggested.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jun 4, 2016,
the streets fill with people from a high school band
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by theogonia777
Your school is ghetto-ish? What does that mean? You live in the part of white Suburbia where kids listen to rap music?

It's complicated.

Most whites, blacks, asians, and mexicans listen to rap and pop. Little percent of those people are either in the orchestra, band, or in beginner guitar class A, B , and C.

People learning guitar are either learning how to play modern artists acoustic versions, or trying to show off by playing 4 chord songs (which does make me a hypocrite myself).

It's not that I hate rap, I actually like underground hip hop. Mainstream music today is really the definition of "dog shit", One maybe stinks worse than the other, but it's still shit.

And if you're wondering, I live under a rock with resources
Quote by dPrimmy

I learned more from this post than I did in most of the 'bands' I was in
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by opc100
My advice is start writing songs yourself first. When I first started a band my friends and I had never written a song, let alone written collaboratively. The real battle is song writing, not finding band mates.

I was going to be the type of band that covered songs. I dunno.

Also, how's it goin with Slinky and co?
Last edited by bruce123k at Jun 9, 2016,
Quote by bruce123k
I was going to be the type of band that covered songs. I dunno.

Also, how's it goin with Slinky and co?

Nothing wrong with being a covers band. Do them well, and it's not that difficult to get gigs. It can also be a good jumping off point for writing your own songs.

Just plan ahead. Pick songs you can make a set out of, and - with the rate depending on how the band progresses - let each member pick a new song to add to your list in turn. Even if it means you learn some songs you don't like, that's often a decent way to expand your playing a bit.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by bruce123k
It's complicated.

No it isn't. You're a kid that thinks you're better than everyone else because of the music you listen to when the music you like is probably just as shitty but worse because uou can't dance to it and it isn't culturally relevant. Luckily for you, it's a phase that you will likely outgrow; when you're a little bit older you'll become more open with music.

also "mexicans" lol
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Arby911
And the inevitable screwups at any gigs you do get make for awesome stories...a few years later when they aren't so raw...

Would an example of such a thing include, oh I don't know, blacking out on stage and then slipping over a water bottle and falling off the stage?

Hypothetically speaking, of course!
Quote by Arby911

One time at a gig (I wasn't playing but I was filming) this funny thing happened. So I was standing in a triangle with my friend who was also filming with me and the keyboard player from the band. We were all standing maybe four feet apart. Then suddenly a fill light (the big paint can type) falls from the rigging and lands right between the three of us.

Later on, the third guy filming asks the owner of the venue to put a gel over one of the lights because he wanted to get some color. So the owner goes to the basement and brings up a gel. He puts it on the light and we start testing it. A few seconds later it starts smoking. So we turn off the light and check the gel and the frame is made of cardboard.

The worst part is that the band's set was terrible that night and the sound guy gave us the wrong outs on the board for our audio recorder anyway so basically the whole day was wasted and we had to film another show since they had hired us to make a 15 minute promo video for them. The second show actually went off with no problems.