http://imgur.com/Iyb0bIq

I am doing a Van Halen paintjob on a strat I'm building. I had to spray it in three layers, and the tape I was using, left some buildup on the edges. When I try to sand them away, it changes the red, to a lighter pink, and just mars the paint. It's some brand of homedepot spray paint, I plan to through a polyurethane coat on top, but was hoping there might be a way to get rid of the lines without having to repaint. I've tried steel wool and 2000 grit sandpaper.
To remove the demarcation lines/bumps, I gently wetsand with at least 1000 grit after each color stripe after the layer has hardened.

I'm also extra careful to make sure the tape is gap-free so that there isn't any bleed-through. I go through the edges with my fingernail very gently.

Krylon and Duplicolor Acrylic Lacquer (not Enamel) work very well for me. The bigbox DIY stores have store brands that work well, too.
That's all making sense. Unfortunately, I didn't think/notice the lines forming until after I had sprayed on all the layers. I guess my options are

1. Don't sand away the lines, and build up the clearcoat and hope the lines disappear behind the buildup and gloss.

2. Sand away the lines, and then respray the red over the areas which are sanded down.

3. A magical solution to keep the red from going pink/change colors when I sand the lines away, and then apply clear coat.

Thanks for the help guys, that will help on the next project for sure!
Last edited by Shallon Dark at Jun 4, 2016,
A lot of times the red will turn pink when you sand it but then turn red again when you clear coat it. The 1000 grit sand paper sounds good. I used 800 to sand between coats on mine. It takes a long time but spraying with clear 2-5 coats then sanding it down with a block and then repeating 2-5 times is one way to smooth it out. Depends a lot on the variety or clear though.
Last edited by geo-rage at Jun 4, 2016,
Shallon Dark I would do one wet sand to reduce lines from the last layer of paint. Then apply several coats of clear let dry and wet sand. This may be enough to start polishing. If not then several more coats of clear let dry and wet sand. You shouldn't be able to feel the lines now. Follow with polishing compound to a high gloss.
Since I don't want to start a new thread on this . . . any advice for removing Scotch Tape (or something similar) residue from a guitar body? The one thing I have come across is *not* to use rubbing alcohol (isopropyl).

Edit: Fender acoustic bought used. Owner had something taped to the surface, just below the bridge; taped where the four corners would have been on a shape about 3-inches x 4-inches.
“High fly ball into right field. She is… gone!" - Vin Scully
Last edited by Standard_A440 at Jun 21, 2016,
Standard_A440
I'd say use some lighter fluid on a cloth an gently rub away the residue. Just don't smoke while you do it, obviously.
Last edited by ZacharyVolt at Jun 21, 2016,
Quote by ZacharyVolt
Standard_A440
I'd say use some lighter fluid on a cloth an gently rub away the residue. Just don't smoke while you do it, obviously.

That worked like a charm. Thank you, Zach and Tony.

“High fly ball into right field. She is… gone!" - Vin Scully
Last edited by Standard_A440 at Jul 5, 2016,