I have a very cheap electric guitar that I got for my birthday like two years ago. It's a Squier Fender Affinity Stratocaster, but now that I've gotten better at playing I feel like I'd like to get a new guitar of better quality, but I really don't know which one to get. I play different kind of rock music and some metal. I don't want to waste too much money, preferably not more than 738 dollars, but if you know a guitar that's a bit more expensive than that it will be okay eventually.
So, if you have any recommendations I will be very thankful.
$738 is a weirdly precise figure.

At any rate, look at the PRS SE range. Not too hard on your budget(because you'll likely be wanting a better amp soon, too), good quality, and fairly flexible.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Maybe that is how much they have saved up?

I would recommend you go to your local music store and play as many guitars as you can. Try and play through the same amp you have or even bring yours so you will know how it sounds when you play it.

All the recommendations we can give don't mean a thing if your hands and ears don't love the guitar. Go play some pick your top three and let us know, we can give you some advice from there.

For me, the feel of the guitar is the most important part. If my hands are not comfortable I won't play it long. Tone and sound can be altered and improved, but the neck, body, and size will generally stay the same.
Yep, play as many guitars as you can then decide. And your money goes a lot further if you're willing to buy used.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I was more wondering if it was a currency conversion(especially as the symbol wasn't used, which might suggest a non-English keyboard) that arrived at that figure.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Instead of just playing a poop load of guitars I'd suggest trying to think about what you want in a guitar to narrow things down a bit first.
Considerations like
Scale length
Fixed bridge or tremolo
PU type
controls
Fretboard wood
neck mount type

If you have preferences better to consider them ahead of time or find your self looking again later on.
Moving on.....
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I was more wondering if it was a currency conversion(especially as the symbol wasn't used, which might suggest a non-English keyboard) that arrived at that figure.

Exactly, I converted it from my country's currency.
Where are you? That will let us know if what we're thinking of is easily available where you are, or if it can be shipped there.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Where are you? That will let us know if what we're thinking of is easily available where you are, or if it can be shipped there.

Yeah, a country would really help us figure out what's accessible, but the good news is you should definitely be able to get something pretty nice on that budget, especially if you shop used.

Any chance you could list some favourite bands or guitarists? That'd help to figure out what kind of guitar would suit you.
Quote by KenG
Instead of just playing a poop load of guitars I'd suggest trying to think about what you want in a guitar to narrow things down a bit first.
Considerations like
Scale length
Fixed bridge or tremolo
PU type
controls
Fretboard wood
neck mount type

If you have preferences better to consider them ahead of time or find your self looking again later on.

Normally I would agree with you there, but maybe he/she doesn't know much about those things right now after playing for 2 years. That stuff was kind of a quagmire for me to wade through over the course of my years playing, so much misinformation and opinion out there. I have just got to the point of, 'If it feels/sounds good, play it.' on guitars.

Of course, the OP could totally already know a lot and I was just a slow learner.

But yeah, OP, who are your favorite bands? Take a look at what they play, and give those guitars a try.
How long is a piece of string? You could go for anything. We don't know what you like and dislike in a guitar, for me it'd be an LP studio but you may not like that and want a Fender or a Gretsch. The only thing I can say is go to a store and try some.
I have the strangest love for Squier guitars. Whenever I see one, I can't resits picking it up and giving it a strum. They're somehow cute.

I have a friend who replaced the pick-ups on his Squier and it sounds amazing. Maybe just stick with your Squier?
Quote by Athena Grimm
I have a friend who replaced the pick-ups on his Squier and it sounds amazing. Maybe just stick with your Squier?

Well, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but the cost of a decent set of pickups is generally enough that with such cheap guitars it makes more sense to get something better, especially with a pretty decent budget like OP has. And while I'm generally a proponent of Squier, the Affinity models really don't tend to be anything special.

There's also the stylistic consideration - any guitar can be used for any style, but I personally wouldn't use a Strat for metal. There are those that do, but they generally do so with at least the pickups replaced, and often more substantial changes.
No one else is curious what kind of amp he has?

Squires aren't great but they're certainly "good enough" for someone who's been playing two years. So if he's playing through a 10 watt gorilla amp, I would suggest taking his money and investing it into a good amp and getting a good setup on the squire and maybe one pickup upgrade
jackson soloist.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by flexiblemile
No one else is curious what kind of amp he has?

Squires aren't great but they're certainly "good enough" for someone who's been playing two years. So if he's playing through a 10 watt gorilla amp, I would suggest taking his money and investing it into a good amp and getting a good setup on the squire and maybe one pickup upgrade

+1 what amp are you playing through? An amp first and a pickup upgrade second and you may find the Squire will serve you well for a while longer.

If you are dead set on a guitar I would recommend used although I do not know where you are from or what the used market is like there, but yeah used=more guitar for your money and $738 USD puts you in USA Jackson or Ibanez Prestige range!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Don't invest any more money in an Infinity Series Strat. They are starter pack guitars and generally sell new for less than $200 with a Fender Frontman 10 which is in itself $80 or so. No matter what you do to it you'd be lucky to get $100 used. I'm not saying this to be mean simply telling you that money put into it other than strings is wasted. They are designed to get you started and see if you'll carry on, which you are and that means it's done what it was designed to do. To go farther you can sell the kit separately or together and add that money to your budget. At this stage unless your playing in a band or regularly jamming with others you shouldn't need to spend more than $200 on an amp and that would leave you enough for a decent guitar that should do for quite a few years if not longer.
Moving on.....
Take a look at the Deans. They are great guitars for metal (good enough for rock too, but mainly used for metal).
Stick with the guitars that do not have a big DIME name on the headstock because u will pay
more without serious reason. On the other hand, as an owner of dean dime model I have to
say that these guitar are very unique because of their newfound feeling that can't be found
through other companies like schecter,jackson,esp/ltd,and much more
I am going to assume you don't have a great amp due to only playing for 2 years and having only a Squire guitar. I would reccomend splitting your budget between a new amp and guitar.

For instance you could get something like a Marshall DSL 15C and maybe a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard and you will be a lot happier than blowing it all on a nicer guitar and then running it through a bad amp.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Quote by bass.desires
Maybe that is how much they have saved up?

I would recommend you go to your local music store and play as many guitars as you can. Try and play through the same amp you have or even bring yours so you will know how it sounds when you play it.

All the recommendations we can give don't mean a thing if your hands and ears don't love the guitar. Go play some pick your top three and let us know, we can give you some advice from there.

For me, the feel of the guitar is the most important part. If my hands are not comfortable I won't play it long. Tone and sound can be altered and improved, but the neck, body, and size will generally stay the same.

Wow, that is some of the best advice I have ever read on here. Thank you so much. For some reason I had never thought of it quite like that before, divide it up into things you can easily change and things you can not.
crewaunt Agile from rondomusic? Pretty awesome LP type guitars. Since you'll have money left after, you can even get new pickups or other parts, even though their 3200's require pretty much no changes at all(except pickups if you want), very nice quality parts. In fact, they actually do custom guitars if you want to look into that.

Links are below. Good luck with your new purchase mate.

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/customquote.html
Quote by DHF1234
Take a look at the Deans. They are great guitars for metal (good enough for rock too, but mainly used for metal).
Stick with the guitars that do not have a big DIME name on the headstock because u will pay
more without serious reason. On the other hand, as an owner of dean dime model I have to
say that these guitar are very unique because of their newfound feeling that can't be found
through other companies like schecter,jackson,esp/ltd,and much more

I'm a Dean fan (One of the few on this board) and I wouldn't do this.

But truthfullly, I'd go to a guitar store and just sit with a few guitars and also take a notebook with you and after you've played a few guitars, go for a coffee, food, beer or whatever and find a place to sit and write down some of the things that you liked about each of them and try to figure out which one you liked best, don't feel pressured into buying anything though and then go back and buy the one you like.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I'm a happy Dean owner, and IMHO, over $500 new, they're comparable to products from other rock/metal guitar brands.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by slapsymcdougal
$738 is a weirdly precise figure.

Exactly what I was thinking. This is clearly a man who has been saving for awhile.

@OP: I'd happily sell you my MIM Stratocaster for what I paid ($400) complete with case.