Please, tell me more

Starting training on the ICP at work, don't have a lot of experience or knowledge about it although I do understand (and have limited experience with) AAS. Anything anyone can tell me, however dumbed down or detailed, will be much appreciated! (And yes, I will be reading some actual information on it, not just going by what the pit tells me.)
Insane Clown Posse?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Rebel Scum
ICP

hue hue hue

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I didn't even register that.
I thought this was gonna be a thread about how you found a picture on the internet of ICP cereal but clearly it isn't.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
^Mainly that, but also...

It's a pretty straight forward principle.

You take a solution of the sample you want to analyse and feed it into a so-called torch, which is in its most basic form a jet of inert gas that is turned into plasma using a very strong magnetic field, aka a bunch of coils with current running through them. The solution is basically sprayed into this plasma by the machine itself.

So why do this?

Well plasma is basically a very high energy ionized gas, in which the singular particles have been stripped of their outer-shell electrons and these electrons and ions are now flying around freely. Much like in other AES techniques these electrons and ions collide with the metal atoms in your analyte and knock one of the electrons of your analyte into an excited state and because this is an unstable position to be in they gradually 'fall' back down to the base state. Also there's other mechanisms that produce the desired effects which I wanted to explain at first, but let's just stick with the basics for now.

Because electron orbitals within an atom have discrete energy levels, when an electrons jumps down from one orbital to the other it has to lose a discrete amount of energy corresponding to the exact energy difference between those two orbitals. The only way for it to lose this energy is to emit a photon with a wavelength that corresponds to that energy.

Every metal has a unique set of possible 'electron jumps' and since an unimaginable fuckton of collisions and emissions will be happening even within a small amount of the dispersed sample, you'll be able to pick up all of the corresponding wavelengths of light emitted by your sample in the form of a spectrum.

From the wavelengths you'll be able to determine the metal(s) present within the sample, and from their intensity you'll be able to determine the amount of these metals when comparing them to various standards.

If you want to know anything more or actually understand the machine properly, pick up a fucking book and not some pleb instruction manual. Your best bet is the Principles of Instrumental Analysis by Skoog, Holler and Crouch which is like the Bible of analytical chemistry.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Jun 4, 2016,
^ sweet. Yeah, will look into the chem textbooks at work on Monday anyway. There's a bunch of analytical chem books that have been worth a read in the past for other things. Just trying to get a little bit more enthusiastic for it tbh

Basically, you’ve got your sample. You want to take a handful of that and put it in the peristaltic pump. Stuff it in there nice and deep. Next you’ll notice that after the pump, there is a nebulizer. Nicely spotted, I see you’re a natural at this!
Once the peristaltically pumped sample enters the nebulizers, you want to make sure to sprinkle a generous amount of Argon in there, to get all that wonderful nebulizerization going and get the sample aerosol nice and crispy on the outside. Don’t want to let any go to waste.
While all this is happening, feel free to get a spray tan or something, after which you drizzle some of the leftover argon on top and torch the place. Make sure to get out quickly and wait for the fire to stop before going back in again. You might want to turn on the RF power supply, as in most cases, the power goes off in case of a fire.
What you’ve got left from the original sample, is a plasma. It’s best to shine some light on that so you can see it better. Now take the plasma and just throw it at the window. With a little luck, some will pass through (the window functions as a diffraction grating).
Pop on some Pink Floyd and sit back in the knowledge that you’ve just detected CCD.
Quote by Pastafarian96
I fucking love science

Odd. I love fucking science.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I fuck loving science.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by slapsymcdougal at #33995810
Odd. I love fucking science.

me too

who knew the intrinsic details of penis in vagina could be so fascinating
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
( )_( ) signature to help him gain World Domination

Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall
Do you remember dawn escapes from moon washed college halls
Do you remember the cherry blossom in the market square
Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair
Quote by kalypto
me too

who knew the intrinsic details of penis in vagina could be so fascinating

I could experiment for years tbh.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by ultimate-slash
Pop on some Pink Floyd and sit back in the knowledge that you’ve just detected CCD.

I'd just like to weigh in and say that CCD stands for 'Charge-Coupled Device' and it's the thing that detects photons and converts it into electric current for the computer to read. So while you may have detected a CCD through overzealous usage of your 'detect traps' ability; you can be safe in the knowledge that it needs to be there.
on floyd though
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by Gatecrasher53
I'd just like to weigh in and say that CCD stands for 'Charge-Coupled Device' and it's the thing that detects photons and converts it into electric current for the computer to read. So while you may have detected a CCD through overzealous usage of your 'detect traps' ability; you can be safe in the knowledge that it needs to be there.
on floyd though

What about secret doors?
Quote by Diemon Dave
they're not that secret

they're quite a well known band
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
( )_( ) signature to help him gain World Domination

Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall
Do you remember dawn escapes from moon washed college halls
Do you remember the cherry blossom in the market square
Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair
Quote by kalypto
they're not that secret

they're quite a well known band

mfw people don't know how to TTRPG
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by chrismendiola
Y'all motherfucks lyin' and gettin' me pissed.

straight up

do you notice and recognize miracles, op?
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by mind_meld
Please, tell me more

Starting training on the ICP at work, don't have a lot of experience or knowledge about it although I do understand (and have limited experience with) AAS. Anything anyone can tell me, however dumbed down or detailed, will be much appreciated! (And yes, I will be reading some actual information on it, not just going by what the pit tells me.)

First, have you accepted Jesus Christ as your lord and savior?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I could experiment for years tbh.

too bad you can't find the proper organization to donate the necessary materials