I picked up a cheap electric guitar a few months ago and its works for me. When I am solo picking, for instance my fingers tend to touch other strings. This doesn't seem to affect my playing but is it a bad habit?

Thanks
Depends on how... if they're relaxed and just lightly touching, that's fine. In fact it's good for keeping them quiet. If you're grabbing on to the strings, I'd work on relaxing them.

I used to have a habit of curling a finger or two under the high E string, which was sort of a workaround for excess for tension/movement when alt picking. The result was poor technique and tone and limited speed on the lower strings.
As cdgraves mentioned, if you're not "digging into the strings" with your fingers, you are fine.

This is something that we refer to as "anchoring." Essentially, your picking hand's fingers exert force into the unused strings/instrument's body, causing you not be able to pick freely and hinder your picking ability. Ideally, if your fingers are making contact, you want to exert NO pressure onto the guitar, making your picking motion much more fluid.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Actually I think the first thing anyone should have done in this thread was ask one simple question:

Picking or fretting hand fingers?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Actually I think the first thing anyone should have done in this thread was ask one simple question:

Picking or fretting hand fingers?

You know, I was actually thinking that, too. I just went on a limb and assumed that he was referring to his picking hand's fingers.
Skip the username, call me Billy