Poll: what's the more polite way to leave the toilet seat?
Poll Options
View poll results: what's the more polite way to leave the toilet seat?
up
3 10%
down
27 90%
Voters: 30.
Page 1 of 2
I live with two flatmates (one of whom is from Turin) who both have girlfriends who stay over from time to time. we only have one toilet, and when I use it I'm not sure what the less uncouth way of leaving the toilet seat. on the one hand, if I leave it up it shows that there won't be any piss on the seat (at least none of mine) that needs to be wiped off, but they have to touch the nasty ass seat to put it down. on the other hand, if I leave it down they might think there's the risk that I missed the bowl and pissed on the seat.

so what's the more polite way to leave the seat, down or up?
down because when you flush you don't want the piss going up into the air you are breathing

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Down is polite, but I've never been accused of being polite.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
This is what Europe does to people.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by genghisgandhi
that's the cover, I'm just talking about the seat. I never bother with the cover

you should put the cover down so you don't flush piss and poo into the air

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
idk i always put the seat & cover down -- i shared a bathroom with women (mom, sister) growing up, so it is just second nature & i never broke the habit when i was living with guys/on my own -- also 'cuz i am always afraid i'll accidentally drop something in the toilet -- i never got why guys made such a big deal about it.

i also question the relevance of yr. roommate being from turin -- seems like totally superfluous info -- jeez we get it yo'ure
so cosmopolitan.
Lid down. More convenient for all and less likely to accidentally drop stuff into the toilet. Also hygeine wise it's much better.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I've never even paid attention to whether the seat was up or down when I enter the bathroom because I can easily adjust it if necessary. I'm assuming women can do the same. None of my roommates or members of my family have ever complained. Do people actually have strong opinions on this issue? I always thought it was something only couples in sitcoms argue about.
People who get annoyed by toilet seat position are the worst.

However, if you want to help fight climate change you need to leave it up, because flicking the seat so it falls down takes considerably less energy than lifting it up, and considering the frequency of pissing/pooing between sexes the overall total energy saved would be enormous (if everybody in the world did the same)

Quote by EndTheRapture51

If you poo you generally need to lift the cover after you flush to clean what's left, so the cover will end up being lifted either way. Never bothered with putting the cover down for pissing
Quote by EndTheRapture51

that's probably on the bottom of my list of things to worry about in all honesty

but i generally leave it down,

mainly because it looks nicer
Toilet seat down in a public/work toilet

Toilet seat and the lid down at home.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
flushing with the lid down still flies that shit sideways and up, it's just super concentrated

you can't escape the filth that comes from the StinkHole

but down on all accounts
down cuz i sit to pee anyway but honestly idgaf

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by gonzaw
People who get annoyed by toilet seat position are the worst.

However, if you want to help fight climate change you need to leave it up, because flicking the seat so it falls down takes considerably less energy than lifting it up, and considering the frequency of pissing/pooing between sexes the overall total energy saved would be enormous (if everybody in the world did the same)

If you poo you generally need to lift the cover after you flush to clean what's left, so the cover will end up being lifted either way. Never bothered with putting the cover down for pissing

Treadmarks aren't normal dude.

You need to change up your diet.
Quote by Diemon Dave
doesnt gonzaw wipe his ass standing up as well

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by Banjocal
flushing with the lid down still flies that shit sideways and up, it's just super concentrated

I stand right over the toilet when flushing, so at worst most of those particles stick to me and my clothes (and say, not my toothbrush).

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Treadmarks aren't normal dude.

You need to change up your diet.

So you don't even lift the lid assuming there won't be any? At the very least you have to check.
Also, never heard anything about the normality of treadmarks

EDIT:
Quote by JamSessionFreak
doesnt gonzaw wipe his ass standing up as well

That's right. Seems I'm poop abnormal
seat always down because:
flushing. dont need poopie and pee pee particles floating through the air.
dropped a lot of things in the toilet.
once put my foot in a piss filled toilet when i tried to stand on it during a power outage to see if there was a flashlight in an overhanging cabinet.
pets.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by gonzaw
I stand right over the toilet when flushing, so at worst most of those particles stick to me and my clothes (and say, not my toothbrush).

So you don't even lift the lid assuming there won't be any? At the very least you have to check.
Also, never heard anything about the normality of treadmarks

EDIT:

That's right. Seems I'm poop abnormal

Well yeah. Treadmarks are normally associated(for me, anyway) with having had exceptionally fatty meals, or my own weight in beer.
Quote by Diemon Dave
You're supposed to leave the toilet seat down, because reasons. But lifting/closing a toilet seat takes about 2 seconds anyway so I'm not sure it really matters.
I have nothing important to say
Toiler Seat Conundrum

Ok, let's finally dispell the "toilet seat" conundrum that's been bugging me for a while. The famous one is "Should men put the seat down after peeing?"

First off, the usual argument centers around annoyance. Basically, if you want to pee/poop and the seat is not in the appropiate position, it is annoying to have to adjust it. Thus the above question centers around how to minimize the annoyance between all parties involved. We'll ignore pee particles that float in your bathroom (shit particles won't matter since everybody that poops leaves the seat and maybe the lid down). We'll also ignore how "neat" it looks, etc.

Premises:
  • There will be 2 sexes: Male (M) and Female (F)
  • There will be 2 necessities: Pee (P) and Shit (S)
  • The possible configurations of the seat for any situation are these:

• Male wants to pee -> Seat needs to be up
  • Male wants to shit -> Seat needs to be down
  • Female wants to pee -> Seat needs to be down
  • Female wants to shit -> Seat needs to be down
  • If the person needs to do a deed that requires a certain state of the seat, but it's in the opposite one, he has to adjust it. If the deed requires the seat to be down and it's up, he needs to put it down. If the deed requires the seat to be up and it's down, he needs to put it up.
  • Adjusting the seat is "annoying", so we'll call AD the level of annoyance of having to put the seat down, and AU the level of annoyance of having to put the seat up
  • There are 2 times when someone may need to adjust the seat: Right before doing the deed and right after
  • We'll analyze systems that determine whether a person may need to adjust the seat right after doing the deed
  • The 2 systems are:

• 1) If after doing a deed the seat is up, always put it down afterwards (this is the argument from the question above)
  • 2) After doing the deed, leave the seat like it is (this is my proposed one)
  • To measure the success of each system, we'll measure 2 things:

• 1) Total amount of "annoyance" caused by the system. This means the sum of all the individual annoyances of having to adjust the seat, either before or after doing the deed, by both sexes. It's measured in AD and AU (the "annoyance levels" shown before)
  • 2) Distribution of annoyance. Even if you reduce the total amount of annoyance, it wouldn't be fair if only the female had to endure it, or if only the male had to endure it. Ideally it should be distributed between both of them.

Analysis:

How will we do the analysis? We'll make a case analysis of every possible situation, and determine the amount of "annoyance" each system will bring in them. After having all of them we can get the total amount of annoyance and count how much of it is experienced by each sex.

The situations to analyse are these: A situation where one person enters the bathroom, does something and leaves the seat in a certain position, and then another person arriving after and having to deal with it. We'll analyze the annoyance of the 1st person having to adjust the seat after using it, and the annoyance of the 2nd person having to adjust the seat before using it. This should cover all possible situations.

For that, we'll have 16 possible situations: For the 1st person we have 2 sexes that could do 2 deeds, making it 4 situations for the 1st person. We have to multiply these for the possible situations for the 2nd person, which again could be 2 sexes doing 2 deeds, which is 4 again, making it 16 total.
The syntax is: (Sex 1st Person)(Deed 1st Person) -> (Sex 2nd Person)(Deed 2nd Person): (Annoyance Level 1st Person) - (Annoyance Level 2nd Person)

So for instance, "MP -> FP: AD - 0" means that first a male pees, then has to take the seat down before leaving (causing the "AD" annoyance), and then a female arrives wanting to pee, but since the seat is already down she doesn't feel any annoyance (causing "0" annoyance).

Here is the final analysis then:

"If after doing a deed the seat is up, always put it down afterwards"
  • MP -> MP: AD - AU
  • MP -> MS: AD - 0
  • MP -> FP: AD - 0
  • MP -> FS: AD - 0
  • MS -> MP: 0 - AU
  • MS -> MS: 0 - 0
  • MS -> FP: 0 - 0
  • MS -> FS: 0 - 0
  • FP -> MP: 0 - AU
  • FP -> MS: 0 - 0
  • FP -> FP: 0 - 0
  • FP -> FS: 0 - 0
  • FS -> MP: 0 - AU
  • FS -> MS: 0 - 0
  • FS -> FP: 0 - 0
  • FS -> FS: 0 - 0

Total Annoyance: 4*AD + 4*AU
Annoyance per sex:
Male: 4*AD + 4*AU
Female: 0

"After doing the deed, leave the seat like it is"
  • MP -> MP: 0 - 0
  • MP -> MS: 0 - AD
  • MP -> FP: 0 - AD
  • MP -> FS: 0 - AD
  • MS -> MP: 0 - AU
  • MS -> MS: 0 - 0
  • MS -> FP: 0 - 0
  • MS -> FS: 0 - 0
  • FP -> MP: 0 - AU
  • FP -> MS: 0 - 0
  • FP -> FP: 0 - 0
  • FP -> FS: 0 - 0
  • FS -> MP: 0 - AU
  • FS -> MS: 0 - 0
  • FS -> FP: 0 - 0
  • FS -> FS: 0 - 0

Total Annoyance: 3*AD + 3*AU
Annoyance per sex:
Male: AD + 3*AU
Female: 2*AD

Conclusion:
Only in terms of annoyance, you should always leave the seat like it is. It will have the least amount of total annoyance, but it will also be spread out more equally between the sexes.
If males always have to put the seat down, there are unnecessary situations that make it more annoying unnecessarily (it is the MP -> MP situation), but also males face all the annoyance while females don't (making it inequal). If everybody leaves the seat like it is, some males face some annoyance in some situations and some females face it in other situations, but the total amount is lesser, and at least they face annoyance more equally.

What may be needed is to include a frecuency analysis of each possible situation above, to find out the "average" annoyance each system may have. It may change the conclusion slightly, but from the looks of it it doesn't seem so
You don't piss with the bloody seat down. People who do this are ******ed. Like wall-licking, spinning-in-circles-because-of-your-autism ******ed.

You lift the fucking seat to piss, you put the fucking seat back down when you're done pissing. The fact people still need to be told this is sad.
Quote by CJax
You don't piss with the bloody seat down. People who do this are ******ed. Like wall-licking, spinning-in-circles-because-of-your-autism ******ed.

You lift the fucking seat to piss, you put the fucking seat back down when you're done pissing. The fact people still need to be told this is sad.

The fact you use the word autism as a derogatory term is fucked. Go to hell.
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Lift seat up to piss, lower both seats down before you flush. Then wash your hands.

This is the only proper way.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

sit when you pee you fucking heathen
(i put the lid down cause otherwise my cat will track litter on the toilet seat cause he likes to get a drink of toilet water after he does his business)
My house is so ghetto the toilet seat doesn't even stay up. You try to put it up and it just falls flat.

I don't think the seat is that nasty though, unless you pee/poo like a bottle of Windex and spray it everywhere. Just leave it down and clean it up if you miss. It's what I do. Not hard, really.

And honestly if it bothers you/them that much then buy some hand sanitizer and use it when you're done.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jun 5, 2016,
Quote by CJax

You're obviously angry about pissing with the seat down because of your poor aim, probably compounded with mommy issues arising from pissing all over the seat as a child.
Quote by Joshua Garcia at #33996313
My house is so ghetto the toilet seat doesn't even stay up. You try to put it up and it just falls flat.

ffs garcia does a hardware store not exist in your area go buy a pair of nuts

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
ffs garcia does a hardware store not exist in your area go buy a pair of nuts
Doesn't bother me none because I always leave it down and clean if I miss, so don't try to get condescending with me u lil fgt.

It's probably the floor though because there's a big hole right near the corner. Makes it not balanced. At least I think. Too much water leaked through the bath tub. Basically we need a whole renovation to the bathroom but we're (or my parents since I'd like to move out already) too poor to afford one. I'll leave all that noise to my dad.

I never feel safe taking a poo.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Page 1 of 2