Awhile back I asked about some basses. I received overwhelming love for the Squier models. I'm in a buying mood lately (just bought a new guitar). Anyway, I'm jumping on a bass.

I'm going to order this unless you guys can talk me out of it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-vintage-modified-jaguar-bass-special-ss-short-scale

I'm also thinking of this Epiphone Thunderbird, but some guys disliked Epiphone in the original bass thread I started. I've heard the Thunderbirds were pretty good, plus I'm thinking of potential resale value someday (would the Thunderbird sell better used?).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/epiphone-thunderbird-iv-bass?rNtt=Thunderbird&index=5
Last edited by TobusRex at Jun 5, 2016,
Honestly, I can't think of a reason not to order a VM.

I'm not so keen on the Thunderbird sound, it's too muddy for me, but if that's what you like. They suffer from neck dive, too. Some people seem to have improved that in the repositioning of the strap button, which would involve drilling etc. I have no idea on values.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
That Squier looks like a good deal, but it is short scale. That is up to you to decide if you want that or not.

I had a T-Bird and it sounded nice and played well however the neck dive from the heavy headstock was pretty unbearable, even as a mostly sit down player. Also up to you if you want to deal with that or not.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Going with the Squier. The T-bird sure is pretty, glad you guys told me about "neck dive" issues on the Epiphone.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Are you going short scale because you've started with guitar and it's your first bass?

Yes, that is exactly why.
As others have said, the Squier is a short scale model. They also have a normal 34 inch scale version of that bass. Do you really want a short scale model? Have you tried comparing a full scale bass to a short scale bass?

I assume that short scale is not a requirement because you were also thinking of buying a Thunderbird.

This is the same bass but with the full 34 inch scale.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-vintage-modified-jaguar-electric-bass-guitar-special/h71306?rNtt=squier%20jaguar%20bass&index=2

If you don't specifically want a short scale model, don't get one.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I had a Squier Jag SS, and it had neck dive. This is because the Agathis body is so light and the top horn on a Jag-style body is so short.

It's a great bass for the money though, although I strongly urge you not to buy a new one because they lose almost 50% of their resale value once they leave the showroom. It's pretty easy to find one of these used for $125 or less. Let someone else take the depreciation hit.
Quote by TobusRex
Yes, that is exactly why.

My advice would be, before pulling the trigger, try a short scale next to a long scale. Chances are, you won't find yourself too far from being at home with a long scale instrument. Yes, there can be nearly 9" difference with scale, but when you actually look at the differences in distance between frets, like I'm looking right now at my wall with one of my basses next to one of my acoustics, there isn't a huge amount of distance. In fact, the largest change is at the first fret, at 0.5" extra distance from the nut, and that gets smaller and smaller the further up you go. When playing bass, your hand tends to be more open when playing, as your generally aren't playing chords, so these small changes in distance really aren't too bad.

In my experience, short scales are really more of a studio tool to get a specific timbre, because it is different.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jun 5, 2016,
i love my squier bass. vm line is nice.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
yeah i would get a long scale one too, just for the classic bass look/feel. up to you though
I'm a dirty fuckin' punk / i sell myself for a beer
Alright, held off on ordering when I came back here and read you guys comments that I should get a long scale bass. Looked in Craigslist locally and found 1 Squier used bass for sale, complete with an RS400 amp (I think), for $200. Expressed interest to the seller and asked if it's vintage modified or the Affinity. If it's the VM I'll snap it up (unless it's a crappy guitar).
Well, just got the news the bass being sold on Craigslist is an Affinity. Still worth looking at, or should I only go for the VM?
Go for a VM. Avoid an affinity.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
well, affinitys are not too bad from what I've heard, but since its used its debatable. They are good guitars bad bad quality parts so its a good possiblity you would have something messes up on it
I'm a dirty fuckin' punk / i sell myself for a beer
A good Affinity is better than a bad VM. Unfortunately, QC on both the Affinity and VM series is somewhat hit or miss.

The best Squier bass I ever owned was a 2001 Affinity P-bass. It was built perfectly, but it's the exception to the rule.

Here's something to consider as well. All the VM series are made of softer woods, agathis, basswood, or sometimes soft maple. No option for alder or ash.

Many of the Affinity series basses are made of alder but the bodies and headstocks are thinner (i.e. non-standard) than on Fender MIM or MIA basses.

Whether the bass has a softer body wood or a denser wood with thinned body & headstock, there is a significant chance that it will neck dive.

The electronics on Affinities AND VM's are not as good as on higher priced guitars but they are not "bad" quality. A cheap Squier bass played on a really good amp will sound better than an MIA Fender played on a cheap bedroom amp. That 2001 Affinity I had sounded great when run through an Aguilar ToneHammer and Aguilar GS 12" speakers, so blanket statements about "good" and "bad" need to be qualified when rendered, IMHO.

That's why I think a used MIM bass is the best option, and usually easy to find in the $275-$325 price range. Plus, it's usually easy to get your money back out of them at a later date. YMMV.
Quote by TobusRex
Well, just got the news the bass being sold on Craigslist is an Affinity. Still worth looking at, or should I only go for the VM?
Make an honest appraisal of your finger span before you commit to any scale length. A longer scale might be great and have a tighter sound, but it's also going to be harder to get 4 fret note jumps up by the top nut.

I think this is a situation where it's almost mandatory to go and boor ass a salesman at GC, while you hang out for a couple of hours and try some different instruments.

Unless you have no sales resistance however. Then all bets are off..
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 10, 2016,
Quote by Captaincranky
Make an honest appraisal of your finger span before you commit to any scale length. A longer scale might be great and have a tighter sound, but it's also going to be harder to get 4 fret note jumps up by the top nut.

I think this is a situation where it's almost mandatory to go and boor ass a salesman at GC, while you hang out for a couple of hours and try some different instruments.

Unless you have no sales resistance however. Then all bets are off..

Cranky my finger span SUCKS! I can barely make it down to the bottom of the fourth fret with my pinkie finger!

My thanks to all the bass players who responded, plus the Cranky one, for their earnest input. I was quite content to order the SS bass off Amazon...but no, deliriumbassist had to ruin my plans by talking common sense. I guess my challenge was accepted and met, lol.

GC, here I come (on Tuesday). I'll let you guys know what I got!
TobusRex

Maybe it's just me but Squiers I find to be the Walmart of guitars/bass's.
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1