Page 1 of 2
Hello, I will be using a wampler tripple wreck with a 212 combo. I will primarily play megadeth, metallica, pantera, black sabbath, iron maiden. Which 212 combo should I get. My price range going to be as high as 1000.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Krank rev+ 2x12
Krank K-Stein 2x12
Mesa Tremoverb 2x12
Peavey Ultra 2x12
Peavey JSX 2x12
Peavey XXX 2x12
Peavey 5150/6505 2x12

and these are just a few to get you started. You will have to go used to find them, but most will be $300-$400 under your $1000 budget.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Peavey transtube has good distortion. I got a special 212 for 100 bucks. Dont know if thats usuall but i hear they are going down in price. Probably because they are so heavy
Please do not use a distortion pedal for all your gain while using the clean channel of a metal-oriented amp. A 6505 is more than capable of providing the gain and more than likely a better tone than the pedal can provide.
Quote by geo-rage
Peavey transtube has good distortion. I got a special 212 for 100 bucks. Dont know if thats usuall but i hear they are going down in price. Probably because they are so heavy
If TS' budget is $1k, I think we can get him better than a cheap SS amp.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jun 5, 2016,
^ yeah pretty much. though a 6505 might be a bit modern-sounding for a lot of what he plays. something more in the hot-rod marshall vein might be more the thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster. I got mine for $1100 and it would be well worth the extra $100.

For the 6505, you want green channel with crunch for thrash.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
JSX for sure.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
The 6505 could easily do thrash the way it currently is. I don't think you'd need any pedals for it, just plug and play.
I think the Marshall DSL with overdrive might be better geared for thrash as the 6505 is a bit abrasive for my taste, but try them out and see what you prefer.
I really like the mesa dual rec roadster but most i find are like 1600.
Quote by geo-rage

i would not recommend a transtube.

especially not with his budget.

probably going down in price because nobody likes them .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Will Lane
Please do not use a distortion pedal for all your gain while using the clean channel of a metal-oriented amp. A 6505 is more than capable of providing the gain and more than likely a better tone than the pedal can provide.If TS' budget is $1k, I think we can get him better than a cheap SS amp.

i concur.

any decent tube amp's OD is going to be better than a pedal into a clean. the wampler is a nice pedal (i have tried one) but i still wouldn't go for one when you have the budget for a nice tube amp.

however, i would not recommend a 5150 for the more 'classic metal' tones. yeah the green channel can do them, but i think you could find better for his application.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
OP - would you be open to a head and 2x12"?

i am asking if you are open for that setup, not a specific amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Chladely
I really like the mesa dual rec roadster but most i find are like 1600.

Then look for a used Mesa Tremoverb, it is just a Dual Recto 2x12 combo with an added Trem and reverb feature. They are under $1000 all the time. Might not have as many options as the Roadster/Roadking. but it is a great amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah pretty much. though a 6505 might be a bit modern-sounding for a lot of what he plays. something more in the hot-rod marshall vein might be more the thing.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i concur.

any decent tube amp's OD is going to be better than a pedal into a clean. the wampler is a nice pedal (i have tried one) but i still wouldn't go for one when you have the budget for a nice tube amp.

however, i would not recommend a 5150 for the more 'classic metal' tones. yeah the green channel can do them, but i think you could find better for his application.
Yeah apologies, was just using the 6505 as an example.
No such thing as better, both of those are great amps.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Chladely
now which one is better the peavey jsx 212 or mesa tremoverb

i have both in head format. if i had to have one i would pick the tremoverb. but the jsx is still one hell of an amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb
Marshall DSL40C (1x12, but rips with the right tubes and an external cab...or stock)
Peavey JSX combo
Peavey 6505
blablabla

You could get a lot of amps like these and a lot of these are the type of sound the Wampler pedal is trying to IMITATE. All of them have ripping distortion channels and can easily get what you want with no pedal (save perhaps a tubescreamer type pedal for solo boosts or heavier tones-stack it with the amp distortion). The Wampler is really the sort of thing you would use to get a different kind of distortion other than your main tone. It's a quality pedal, but an amp always does it better.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
it is worth mentioning that the tremoverb is substantially more expensive than the JSX's. i paid a little under $800 for my tremoverb head. i paid $320 for my JSX head. i am not sure how far the pricing is on combos though, but i can definitely assume that the JSX is much cheaper.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Chladely
now which one is better the peavey jsx 212 or mesa tremoverb

both are great sounding amps. The Mesa is only 2 channels while the JSX has 3 independent channels.

I have owned a JSX head and it is one of the best amps you can find at its price used. But I personally would go for the Mesa if you have the money, if not I doubt you'll be upset with the JSX since it is a great amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Will Lane
Yeah apologies, was just using the 6505 as an example.

no worries, i figured you probably were, just making sure the threadstarter knew that too

probably worth pointing out that there's no law that says you can't use pedals for distortion with tube amps- a lot of players do. But for the type of tones he's after, normally high gain tube amps are used on the overdrive channel (maybe with an overdrive pedal as a boost), so if you have enough money to get that, you might as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would not recommend a transtube.
probably going down in price because nobody likes them .

They are pretty outstanding
Quote by geo-rage

In the world of amps they suck
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by geo-rage
As far as Solid State amps go, they are pretty good. But that is in comparison to all the chaff in the SS market. But when you compare the Transtube to real, proper tube amps, the Transtubes get crushed. And besides, TS' budget is way higher than to have to settle for a Transtube.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jun 9, 2016,
What about the blackstar ht 60 metal? I can buy it new which is a big yes. Is a mesa tremoverb or peavey jsx 212 way better?
Quote by Chladely
What about the blackstar ht 60 metal? I can buy it new which is a big yes. Is a mesa tremoverb or peavey jsx 212 way better?

either would straight up destroy the blackstar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The point of that particular Wampler pedal is to produce the *sound* of that amp with almost any amp you care to use. If you like the sound of the pedal, the amp itself almost becomes immaterial.

I have a Carvin Belair ) 50W 2x12 open-back combo whose gain channel has been modified to sound like a vintage Marshall, but with more gain than any vintage Marshall ever had. But that Wampler pedal through the clean side does a helluva job with the Triple Rec sounds.

My personal recommendation for that pedal is to run the amp through a closed-back ported cabinet with a pair of Eminence Delta ProA's, but the increased bottom-end production of that setup is a different story.
I got a used Randall RG200 for about $200 and it works great for stuff like that. However, your price range is way above mine, so probably go for something higher end. Randall makes pretty damn good amps for the kind of music you're playing. Also, please use the gain channel on your amp, and not a distortion pedal. It's just better for everyone that way.
Quote by Chladely

If you like the Blackstar, get it. You have mentioned it several times, so it sounds like you are leaning in that direction. Tone is subjective and if it works for you, go for it.

Nobody here can tell you what tone you like. I am not a fan of the JSX and I prefer the tremoverb over the HT-60, but It is not my amp.

In the end, play the best you can afford and buy what you love.
well basically what tone I want is balls to the wall metal. I want to feel those power chords. Right now after all the threads ive made its now either the tremoverb or peavey jsx 212.
actually im gonna throw the marshall jvm210c in there plenty of them used at guitar center.
oooh the marshall jvm210c sounds exciting ive never played a real tube marshall. Ive only had an mg30 and mg half stack.
Personally, I can't stand JVM's
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I saw a recommendation for a Sovtek MIG-50. I would second that recommendation. Not the 50H tube midget though. Just the plain ol' MIG-50. Loud, clean, great pedal platform.

If you are really set on using your wampler for your tones, you really have no reason to go out and buy a multi-channel high gain amplifier.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Another option that hasn't been suggested is the Randall RM100. That can become whatever amp you want it to be if you add the appropriate preamp modules.

http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A