Hi. Does anyone here know whether the Bugera BC30 effects loop runs at line level or instrument level ?

I just picked one up dirt cheap,secondhand and I'm liking it so far,just had an hour with it with no effects,good for classic rock. "Black Betty" is particularly fun. Almost like they had one to record with.

There's a lot of BUMPH online about these amps but I haven't managed to clarify the fx loop level issue and I can't access any to try for a couple of days.
Last edited by guitar-name at Jun 5, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane

Thanks. So to clarify: The stuff about impedance of 36k ohms with an output peak voltage of +34 dbv on channel one and impedance of 1k ohm ( I sort of recognise that as line level) with a peak voltage output of +22dbv and the returns being less than 200k ohms with a peak voltage of +34 dbv and for channel 2 68k ohms and a peak voltage of +22dbv means line or instrument ?
Quote by guitar-name
Thanks. So to clarify: The stuff about impedance of 36k ohms with an output peak voltage of +34 dbv on channel one and impedance of 1k ohm ( I sort of recognise that as line level) with a peak voltage output of +22dbv and the returns being less than 200k ohms with a peak voltage of +34 dbv and for channel 2 68k ohms and a peak voltage of +22dbv means line or instrument ?
That is the question, isn't it. I don't entirely understand line level stuff so hopefully someone else can explain it with the manual listed. Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level

A general rule of thumb that I follow, though, is that if it is a modern GUITAR amp and it has an effects loop, it is meant for pedals.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jun 5, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane

A general rule of thumb that I follow, though, is that if it is a modern GUITAR amp and it has an effects loop, it is meant for pedals.

Jet City is a modern amp with a line level loop. So does my RM100.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Will Lane
That is the question, isn't it. I don't entirely understand line level stuff so hopefully someone else can explain it with the manual listed. Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level

Yes I'm hoping so. I hate fiddling around with modern digital rack gear,editing parameters from folders and blah de blah de blah. Anything rack ,bypassable,level switchable from line to instrument level and analogue with simple rotary controls would be great but tends to be so expensive.
Last edited by guitar-name at Jun 6, 2016,
Quote by Cathbard

I have the JCA 50 H and the loop is pretty fussy. I've got around it with an old Intellifex,which is digital but pretty transparent and has a mode to maintain an analogue thru. Because I can't be arsed with midi the switching options are pretty limited though.

Oh for a rack full of "silent" line level 19" analogue rack units with switches,nobs and bypass foot switches.
Last edited by guitar-name at Jun 6, 2016,
Quote by Cathbard
Well, butts. I did say generally, though. Just maybe not as general as I thought. The AC30C2 has a -10db loop which is consumer grade, which according to the VOX OM is "suitable for pedals." I don't know.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jun 6, 2016,
My Mesa Roadster doesn't like the MXR Black Label Chorus in the loop - there's a tone drop off whether the pedal is on or off.

Put the BLC before the preamp and it's fine.

This led me down the manual on the BLC and it's not meant for line level, only instrument level.

I tend to think of things as the pedals need to be modernized for line level loops and not the other way around.

I'm using TC Electronic pedals in the Mesa Loop now with a MXR 10-Band EQ and they are all rated for line level and work without any tone loss.

Some of these pedal designs are way older than Effects Loops in amps. . . . In other words when pedals first came out they were all instrument level.

Mesa also sums up their Loops really well -

"Because the FX LOOP is wired in series with the main signal, it is very important that you choose processing devices that are of professional grade quality from reputable manufacturers. In a series configuration, your amplifiers sound will depend on the integrity of the processor’s input and output stages, because you have inserted something into the heart of the most sensitive place in your amplifier."

It's a combination of the amp and pedal really.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .