Don't have any clips recorded but am happy with it. I ordered a kit off ebay that has two 12v batteries in a 9v adapter. Didn't want to rewire anything or give up the easy battery access through the back. This was perfectly easy to install. The kit I purchased

Day and night difference, no. But for $23 I am really happy with how they sound now.

Anywho, do some youtube searches if you want to hear some demos of the difference, but for those of you with 81/85s I recommend it. Give it a try, hell, all you have to lose is $23 and you might really be happy with the difference.

I am curious about the battery life vs the 9v. Anyone have experiences with this? Or electrical engineer knowledge to share? I hear the 9v lasts forever in these pups, but will higher voltage mean more or less life?
Last edited by bass.desires at Jun 5, 2016,
Thanks for this post. I just ordered 3 sets. The website claims the batteries should last 2-3 months with several hours of play every day.
Glad to hear, I hope it works for you. I read the same but you know how some products claim this and that but the reality is different. I need to order some of those batteries as a spare since they may be more difficult to find locally.
I have been usung the 18V mod for years (two 9v) I wouldn't bother upgrading those guitars to this but I do have an EMG equipped axe that is still running on 9v so I might have to check this out!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

http://www.emgpickups.com/faq > Battery Questions > How Long Does the Battery Last?

You'll have to do the math but they give you the formula here.

Also http://www.emgpickups.com/media/productfile/p/o/powertips_tricks_0230-0190c.pdf

Looks like a 23A battery has a life of 55mAh (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A23_battery) which is an order of magnitude shorter than the 9V of 500mAh (from the second link. The first link from EMG lists 580mAh).

I'm guessing on the math here, circuits wasn't my favorite class, but since you have 2 of these 23A in series and each is running 12V of the 24V provided I'm guessing the mAh is the same with the 2 batteries at 24V vs 1 battery at 12V.

So you have 80uA (81) + 80uA (85) = 160uA

55,000uAh (A23) / 160uA = 343.75 Hours or ~ 14 days of having a cable plugged into the guitar jack.

A Standard 9V has 500,000uAh so you get 3,125 hours or 130 days of having a cable plugged into the guitar jack.

This makes sense, with the 24V you are packing almost 3x as much voltage into the same or a slightly smaller form factor as a 9V battery. Higher juice in a smaller form factor means it lasts a shorter amount of time.

But in all the $ we spend on tone, you can get a 12-pack of A23 on Amazon for $11.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
IIRC, even EMG says there's no benefit in going over 18v? Am I missing something here?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
IIRC, even EMG says there's no benefit in going over 18v? Am I missing something here?

24V was probably chosen because 12V batteries are readily available and less than half the size of a 9V one, so no extra space is required regardless of the existing configuration.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
24V was probably chosen because 12V batteries are readily available and less than half the size of a 9V one, so no extra space is required regardless of the existing configuration.

Seems reasonable, thanks!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Aye, when I was looking into it I could barely(if at all) hear any difference between 18v to 24v but the biggest selling point was how easy it is to do, (just like a single 9v) and I can still use my battery door.

As I said in the original post, it isn't a blow your mind difference, but enough that I heard it and liked the change so its well worth the $23. I was about to front $250 for a set of the "X" series of Emgs but am actually happy with the tone right now after the mod. I don't have any experience with the "X" ones to know if they are even better, but meh, for $23 I'm happy.

You sir have my biggest respects for the electrical breakdown! I had a feeling it would have less life, but as you said, it's a small price to pay to be happy with the guitar and how she sounds. That was a cool read.