Page 1 of 2
Hey, everyone. This is one of my first posts, so please forgive me if I am in the wrong section, or anything like that. I'll get to the point...I play alternative rock...I'm mainly influenced by the guitar tone of Alice In Chains and Soundgarden. I like a fat, round, booming tone....Screaming highs are not a necessity for me. I'm using an Orange Cr120 head, and a Fender Jaguar Classic Player with humbuckers. I had someone tell me that I should just get the matching Orange cab because it's specifically made for my Cr120 head and the Marshall 1960 and the Orange PPC would not sound that great with it because they are mainly made for tube heads. That being said, I found out that they don't make the Orange Pro in a slant cab....So, that bums me out. My question is: Is it true that the other two cabs won't sound great with my head, or could I still use them? If I can, which would be best for my tone? Thanks!
Last edited by dustin.schumach at Jun 5, 2016,
normally the dearer cabs are built better, from better materials, and use better speakers.

whether they'd suit your amp, though, i dunno, I haven't tried it

(you're in the right section, don't worry )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've heard that the 1960 and the Orange are built pretty rugged, and they both come in slant, which, I prefer much more than a straight cab. Thanks for letting me know I'm in the right area.
Quote by dustin.schumach
I've heard that the 1960 and the Orange are built pretty rugged, and they both come in slant, which, I prefer much more than a straight cab. Thanks for letting me know I'm in the right area.

The 1960 is the road warrior. You can batter those things... and from the state of second hand sales posts on facebook groups, people actually do.

There's no real way to know if your head will suit a cab without going in person To be honest it's more about the speakers anyway, find what speaker you like and go from there. Typically the go to is a Vintage 30.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
It's really about the speakers in those things. Ninety percent of 4x12s are built nearly the same inside (ignore the exterior with the extra framing, etc.). There are the 10% that use some kind of MDF in construction, etc. And there are a few that have extra ports on the bottom, or that are a bit oversize (most are 30" x 30" x 14", give or take an inch or two) or that have a slightly different center brace.
The PPC is V30's, the 1960 is T75's. That's what should be your selection criteria.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Anthony1991
The 1960 is the road warrior. You can batter those things... and from the state of second hand sales posts on facebook groups, people actually do.

There's no real way to know if your head will suit a cab without going in person To be honest it's more about the speakers anyway, find what speaker you like and go from there. Typically the go to is a Vintage 30.

Thanks, the main problem is that I can not for the life of me find a PPC or a Crush Pro cab near me. The Crush Pro is the "Voice Of The World" speakers....Which, honestly tells me nothing about those.....
Quote by Cathbard
The PPC is V30's, the 1960 is T75's. That's what should be your selection criteria.

Does the thickness of the build mean anything? If I can get any brand that is cheaper with the same speakers, I'm game....I just don't know if one company has better wiring than the next, or better build than the next with the same speakers...
The construction of the box matters for longevity, not tone.

If you are in the US look at Avatar cabs.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
you don't need a cab to match your head.

i am with cath. what speakers are more important than the logo on the front.

i like V30's with my rockerverb, so i pair it with either orange or mesa cabs. i have like six or seven other cabs that i use regularly with other amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dustin.schumach
Thanks, the main problem is that I can not for the life of me find a PPC or a Crush Pro cab near me. The Crush Pro is the "Voice Of The World" speakers....Which, honestly tells me nothing about those.....

Everyone has the same problem, everyone wants that piece of gear that the local stores don't have... because most local stores are shit

I agree with the statements that the construction of the cab is more about longevity rather than tone. Every manufacturer has worked out the optimal placement for speakers and the construction needed to accentuate specific elements alongside durability.

I have a Marshall 1960B loaded with the stock G12 75Ts, so from my perspective vs V30s:

The 75Ts are definitely harsher, and are more of a 'modern tone'
The V30s are definitely smoother, and are more of a 'typical expensive guitar tone'
The 75Ts can cut really well through a band mix, but recording them requires fine tuning
The V30s cut just as well, but are easier to record

The main thing is, the V30s are more expensive speakers. And in this game the more you spend the better the equipment is (speaker wise, typically). I have considered X-patterning the cab with 2 V30s and 2 75Ts, apparently this is super common and sounds great.

I did some reading and those Orange 'voice of the world' (what a bullshit name) are basically just modeled after the V30 but with Orange's 'tone choice' in them. Honestly if you're super concerned about speakers, just try and find tone demonstrations of those speakers on youtube (there should be plenty) and just pick whichever you prefer. Truth be told at this price point it all sounds expensive and good It's literally just splitting hairs!

But my main question now is:

Do you need a 4x12, rather than 2x12?

A 4x12 is a bitch to transport, store, and gig with. A 2x12 is great to transport, store, and gig with by comparison. The only difference is that the 2x12 comes with slightly less bass response... but to be honest if you're playing a gig the cab will be mic'd, if you're just doing a pub gig or whatever well... You'll have a bassist playing too, he tends to provide the bass response for the band anyway.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
Everyone has the same problem, everyone wants that piece of gear that the local stores don't have... because most local stores are shit

I agree with the statements that the construction of the cab is more about longevity rather than tone. Every manufacturer has worked out the optimal placement for speakers and the construction needed to accentuate specific elements alongside durability.

I have a Marshall 1960B loaded with the stock G12 75Ts, so from my perspective vs V30s:

The 75Ts are definitely harsher, and are more of a 'modern tone'
The V30s are definitely smoother, and are more of a 'typical expensive guitar tone'
The 75Ts can cut really well through a band mix, but recording them requires fine tuning
The V30s cut just as well, but are easier to record

The main thing is, the V30s are more expensive speakers. And in this game the more you spend the better the equipment is (speaker wise, typically). I have considered X-patterning the cab with 2 V30s and 2 75Ts, apparently this is super common and sounds great.

I did some reading and those Orange 'voice of the world' (what a bullshit name) are basically just modeled after the V30 but with Orange's 'tone choice' in them. Honestly if you're super concerned about speakers, just try and find tone demonstrations of those speakers on youtube (there should be plenty) and just pick whichever you prefer. Truth be told at this price point it all sounds expensive and good It's literally just splitting hairs!

But my main question now is:

Do you need a 4x12, rather than 2x12?

A 4x12 is a bitch to transport, store, and gig with. A 2x12 is great to transport, store, and gig with by comparison. The only difference is that the 2x12 comes with slightly less bass response... but to be honest if you're playing a gig the cab will be mic'd, if you're just doing a pub gig or whatever well... You'll have a bassist playing too, he tends to provide the bass response for the band anyway.

What a great response to everything! Thank you. If the VOTW speakers are basically V30's, I guess that'd be the cheapest bet, but I can also find a used 1960 slant for about the same price as a new VOTW Orange....I prefer 4x12s, honestly. Weight isn't an issue for me (at this point at 22 at least, haha)...I also thought about what you suggested, about crossing V30s and the 75s....I will do a better listen today on the V30 Vs 75s...From your explanation, I feel that a V30 would best suit my tone. I riff and chug, mainly. So, that roundness and fatness is important to me. Sidenote; as stated before, the Orange VOTW model does not come in a slanted version, which I think is bullshit...I have always preferred a slant cab, so that could also be a deal breaker.
Last edited by dustin.schumach at Jun 6, 2016,
Quote by dustin.schumach
What a great response to everything! Thank you. If the VOTW speakers are basically V30's, I guess that'd be the cheapest bet, but I can also find a used 1960 slant for about the same price as a new VOTW Orange....I prefer 4x12s, honestly. Weight isn't an issue for me (at this point at 22 at least, haha)...I also thought about what you suggested, about crossing V30s and the 75s....I will do a better listen today on the V30 Vs 75s...From your explanation, I feel that a V30 would best suit my tone. I riff and chug, mainly. So, that roundness and fatness is important to me. Sidenote; as stated before, the Orange VOTW model does not come in a slanted version, which I think is bullshit...I have always preferred a slant cab, so that could also be a deal breaker.

haha no worries. Yeah you can find an absolute shit tonne of second hand 1960s out there, heck even mine was. And I got it for 275 pounds, they're 699 new! And it was in mint condition. So that's a ball park figure for you as well. I'd stay away from absolutely battered ones because you can't thrash a cab like that and expect the speakers to still be pristine. If the cab is all torn up it's because they've done stupid stuff like whacking the volume up and wringing the life out of the speakers.

Apparently the crossing of V30 with 75T is the golden recipe of awesome, but bare in mind when your at this point of guitar tech it's really only other knowledgeable musicians/guitarists that will notice a difference.

To be honest it'll be your heads EQ that makes things chug, the speakers are super important because you want good ones... but it's the head that's making the sound, with the then speakers producing that sound. Kind of think of the head as a guitarist being recorded, if he plays his part poorly (in this case, buys a low quality head) then the producer (speakers) can only do so much to make it sound better. So for chugs it'll probably mean pulling the mids down and pushing the bass and highs up.

I kind of think the V30s and 75Ts are interchangeable... Now I know some guys brains on a speaker forum just blew up but they kind of are. There's not much between them and barely anyone will be able to spot the difference And if it is being EQ'd by a sound guy, he could well fuck the tone up anyway

I agree, slanted looks way cooler and it does project sound better, but if you're going second hand can't always get what you want - it's how I ended up with a straight cab! For me, i'd save whatever money you can, get a second hand slanted 1960 with the 75Ts. With the money left over from not buying the Orange you can fit two V30s inside the 1960 if you wanted to, then you get the best of both worlds!
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Last edited by Anthony1991 at Jun 6, 2016,
Quote by Anthony1991
haha no worries. Yeah you can find an absolute shit tonne of second hand 1960s out there, heck even mine was. And I got it for 275 pounds, they're 699 new! And it was in mint condition. So that's a ball park figure for you as well. I'd stay away from absolutely battered ones because you can't thrash a cab like that and expect the speakers to still be pristine. If the cab is all torn up it's because they've done stupid stuff like whacking the volume up and wringing the life out of the speakers.

Apparently the crossing of V30 with 75T is the golden recipe of awesome, but bare in mind when your at this point of guitar tech it's really only other knowledgeable musicians/guitarists that will notice a difference.

To be honest it'll be your heads EQ that makes things chug, the speakers are super important because you want good ones... but it's the head that's making the sound, with the then speakers producing that sound. Kind of think of the head as a guitarist being recorded, if he plays his part poorly (in this case, buys a low quality head) then the producer (speakers) can only do so much to make it sound better. So for chugs it'll probably mean pulling the mids down and pushing the bass and highs up.

I kind of think the V30s and 75Ts are interchangeable... Now I know some guys brains on a speaker forum just blew up but they kind of are. There's not much between them and barely anyone will be able to spot the difference And if it is being EQ'd by a sound guy, he could well fuck the tone up anyway

I agree, slanted looks way cooler and it does project sound better, but if you're going second hand can't always get what you want - it's how I ended up with a straight cab! For me, i'd save whatever money you can, get a second hand slanted 1960 with the 75Ts. With the money left over from not buying the Orange you can fit two V30s inside the 1960 if you wanted to, then you get the best of both worlds!

Well, I have a Marshall HDFX cab now..If I pop V30s or 75s in, would it be just as good as anything else with those speakers? I think the HDFX 4x12 is smaller than a PPC or a 1960 though...Maybe?
Last edited by dustin.schumach at Jun 6, 2016,
Quote by dustin.schumach
Well, I have a Marshall HDFX cab now..If I pop V30s or 75s in, would it be just as good as anything else with those speakers? I think the HDFX 4x12 is smaller than a PPC or a 1960 though...Maybe?

I imagine it would be to be honest, I can't imagine it being smaller? But i'd double check the dimensions!
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
I imagine it would be to be honest, I can't imagine it being smaller? But i'd double check the dimensions!

I looked up the dimensions of the HDFX, Orange PPC, Marshall1960, and the VOTW model. Out of the three, the HDFX is actually the smallest, and the thinnest made, but as others are saying, I suppose that shouldn't effect the tone.
Well since it's a Marshall MG it's probably not made of the best of wood, and might have cheap fittings on the inside. I couldn't really say to be honest since I haven't owned or looked at one. The only bad thing about loading an MG cab with new speakers is that for selling it afterwards it'll be a pain
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
Well since it's a Marshall MG it's probably not made of the best of wood, and might have cheap fittings on the inside. I couldn't really say to be honest since I haven't owned or looked at one. The only bad thing about loading an MG cab with new speakers is that for selling it afterwards it'll be a pain

I hear you. Someone suggested Avatar cabs? Any opinion? My apologies if you were the one who suggested them, this thread is longer than I can remember, haha.
Quote by dustin.schumach
I hear you. Someone suggested Avatar cabs? Any opinion? My apologies if you were the one who suggested them, this thread is longer than I can remember, haha.

I'd honestly never heard of them until someone mentioned them! That doesn't mean they're bad, though... But... There's something about having a real brand name towering behind you in 4x12 fashion

Like when I'm on stage, or even loading onto the stage or whatever, I get to do that 'I've got a big fucking expensive Marshall cab and head, you're gonna hear this across four streets over!' And to be honest I probably play better because I know I've got this thing that idols have, and I'm part of that now. It is silly but because they're such iconic amps, it's hard to not get wrapped up in it!

When my band is playing live I typically used to use two guitars, my Chapman ML1 (a strat) and a Les Paul. Now the Chapman is a far better guitar in terms or sound, playability, basically everything. But the Les Paul is that shape everybody recognizes and knows. They might say the name Les Paul or Gibson wrong (I had 'is that a Gisbon?' once haha), but they know the shape and the look on their face changes dramatically. They have this impression that shit just got serious and that we're not some two-bit band.

It's frustrating because the Chapman is a far nicer guitar but because it doesn't have the shape it's not taken as seriously So there is that to consider, I'd totally just go get a 1960 second hand in good condition to be honest. You can get them cheap and they do have a good resale value. I could sell mine for more money than I bought it for!
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
What a load of superficial bs. If you can play it doesn't matter what names are on your shit. If you cant impress them with your playing, give the game away.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
What a load of superficial bs. If you can play it doesn't matter what names are on your shit. If you cant impress them with your playing, give the game away.

Did you not read what I just wrote, like, at all? I acknowledged its silliness in my own statement. I also acknowledged that names do actually make a psychological difference - that's what modern marketing is geared towards. And if you're trying to make a good impression, which if you're playing live you tend to be trying to do, brand gear does make people perceive you differently. Has anyone ever been signed to a modern label with a Line 6 Spider? I think not (because even the best player will sound like shit)*.

I've never looked at anyone that brought a Line 6 Spider to a gig with the mindset of 'holy shit, this guy is gonna blow my mind!'. I've never plugged into a cheap amp (as a professional player at this stage) and gone 'wow, i'm so inspired by this tone!', but plugging into my big expensive Marshall? You're damn right I get inspired then. Quality and brand names are powerful forces, that's the world we live in.

And high branded gear does scientifically make a psychological difference. This is just simple fact. It's not different from buying brand clothes, it could well be made in the same factory as non-branded that is 200% cheaper, but wearing that high brand cloth makes you feel 'better' and 'worth more'.

Tell me, are you still playing your starter guitar? Because surely a branded guitar that cost more is just worthless, right? It'd be superficial to buy a branded guitar, right? I mean, you should totally not play guitar if you've got branded gear. Who the fuck plays a Fender, right? Who fuck wants Gibson, right? They're all just expensive trash that have no affect on your playing, only real guitarists use crappy non-branded guitars, right?

Branded gear that you respect and admire will improve your playing. The psychological affect of branded gear can be quite large, it can give you more confidence, more passion, and feel more connected to whatever you're into. That's why they make signature amps, pedals, and guitars.

*If someone posts that Steve Vai video of him playing some cheap nasty guitar, that's cool. But would he use it live? Would he use a guitar like that to represent his 'sound'? No. He'd use something incredibly expensive and tailor made. Do you need expensive gear to be a good player? No. Do you need the best gear you afford to sound the best you can live and in recordings? Of course you do, that's why there are different tiers of gear and affordability. The better the name, the more you pay, and typically the higher the quality (Gibson can really mess with this at their expensive yet still 'low' prices).
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
This thread seems like it has gotten a bit ridiculous...

TS, my advice would be to grab a quality, all-ply 2x12 cab, vs. a 4x12 (unless the size is truly not an issue to you and you can find a 4x12 cheaper). Speakers are a personal thing, and there are a lot more options than just what has been listed here. I'd recommend checking out some artists that you like and seeing what they have used, and come back with more questions!

To Anthony1991:

I'm not going to get into everything that you said in your posts, but you did make a comment claiming that the difference between a V30 and a T75 were minute. For the sake of TS, I'd like to say that this simply isn't true. There is a VERY significant different between the two speakers, so much so that I have hated the sound of an amp through one and loved it through the other.

I can understand your point that the amp is the bigger influence on sound, but to say that those two speakers which are almost opposite in their tonal profile sound almost alike is ludicrous.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
This thread seems like it has gotten a bit ridiculous...

TS, my advice would be to grab a quality, all-ply 2x12 cab, vs. a 4x12 (unless the size is truly not an issue to you and you can find a 4x12 cheaper). Speakers are a personal thing, and there are a lot more options than just what has been listed here. I'd recommend checking out some artists that you like and seeing what they have used, and come back with more questions!

To Anthony1991:

I'm not going to get into everything that you said in your posts, but you did make a comment claiming that the difference between a V30 and a T75 were minute. For the sake of TS, I'd like to say that this simply isn't true. There is a VERY significant different between the two speakers, so much so that I have hated the sound of an amp through one and loved it through the other.

I can understand your point that the amp is the bigger influence on sound, but to say that those two speakers which are almost opposite in their tonal profile sound almost alike is ludicrous.

I actually dislike the Vox AC range in the same manner, for some reason I can't get along with them.

My point was that to most people outside of the gear realm wouldn't see much difference in them.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
My first guitar I've had for 35 years. I only stopped playing it because I wore out the neck.
My gigging amp is a Randall RM100 combo with the Randall logo missing. Nobody knows what it is. It sounds great and that's what matters. Your Line 6 Spider comment is irrelevant because they sound bad.
Fuck the brand name, tone is what matters.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Just found out that Avatar does NOT make slanted cabs...What gives with these companies not making slanted cabs? I have had time to listen to some clips, and I'm honestly leaning more towards V30s out of the two... Jerry from AIC uses Creambacks though....I'm checking them out now, and they (atleast in this video I'm listening to) sound a bit fatter and more round? Maybe even darker than the v30s too.
Last edited by dustin.schumach at Jun 7, 2016,
Quote by dustin.schumach
Just found out that Avatar does NOT make slanted cabs...What gives with these companies not making slanted cabs? I have had time to listen to some clips, and I'm honestly leaning more towards V30s out of the two... Jerry from AIC uses Creambacks though....I'm checking them out now, and they (atleast in this video I'm listening to) sound a bit fatter and more round? Maybe even darker than the v30s too.

And you're totally set on a 4x12? I really can't emphasize how old that shit gets.
Quote by dementiacaptain
And you're totally set on a 4x12? I really can't emphasize how old that shit gets.

Dead set. I work in a warehouse and lift heavy things all day, my body has been primed to lug things, haha.
Quote by dustin.schumach
Hey, everyone. This is one of my first posts, so please forgive me if I am in the wrong section, or anything like that. I'll get to the point...I play alternative rock...
I'm mainly influenced by the guitar tone of Alice In Chains and Soundgarden. I like a fat, round, booming tone....Screaming highs are not a necessity for me.
I'm using an Orange Cr120 head, and a Fender Jaguar Classic Player with humbuckers. I had someone tell me that I should just get the matching Orange cab because it's specifically made for my Cr120 head and the Marshall 1960 and the Orange PPC would not sound that great with it because they are mainly made for tube heads. That being said, I found out that they don't make the Orange Pro in a slant cab....So, that bums me out. My question is: Is it true that the other two cabs won't sound great with my head, or could I still use them? If I can, which would be best for my tone? Thanks!

http://www.groundguitar.com/jerry-cantrell-gear/

Get the 25W Greenbacks in a 412 if you must although he also used V30s.
FWIW I have a 4X12 with 2 sets of speakers in an X pattern and it is awesome, mine are not Celestians they are Eminence Patriot series I have 2 Texas Heats and 2 Swamp Thangs both have great qualities and different frequency responses the Swamp Thang has great tight low end response and a chunky tone while the Texas heat has a fat tone with some top end bite for clarity and they balance each other out well.

I have a Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 2X12 with V30s which are great speakers but have a mid range honk that can be annoying I have been contemplating swapping one for a T75.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jun 8, 2016,
Quote by Anthony1991
And if you're trying to make a good impression, which if you're playing live you tend to be trying to do, brand gear does make people perceive you differently.
And high branded gear does scientifically make a psychological difference. This is just simple fact. It's not different from buying brand clothes, it could well be made in the same factory as non-branded that is 200% cheaper, but wearing that high brand cloth makes you feel 'better' and 'worth more'.

You're a marketer's dream, a true Kardashian Kreation.

We did an informal poll one night after a gig in a largish bar (400+ at a go); asked the girls if they remembered what guitar the lead player was using. The most accurate answer was "red." It was a sunburst Gibson LP Standard. We asked the guys if they remembered the same thing. "I don't know, don't care. I was checking out the wimmen" (who were checking the lead player's red guitar).

Truth is, only those few guitar players in the audience even pay attention to what you're playing, and past Gibson and Fender and maybe Marshall, most of them have no clue, either. I've played Agiles, Carvins, Nik Hubers, Moonstones, Variax. I've had a lot of "what is THAT?" from the occasional guitar wonk, but that's it. I also play keys and have a pair of Korgs worth around $3500 each on a $400 stand and I run them through a pair of $1100 cabinets and I don't think anyone at all is interested or impressed.

I have never even considered wearing "branded" clothing making me feel better or worth more. I think you have to be a girl for that. No one cares what a guy is wearing in terms of clothing brands. Not in LA. Might be different where you come from. Or on some random internet forum...

I think if you're trying to make a good impression as a live band, there are a LOT more factors involved and none of them involves brand names.
Quote by Anthony1991

*If someone posts that Steve Vai video of him playing some cheap nasty guitar, that's cool. But would he use it live? Would he use a guitar like that to represent his 'sound'? No. He'd use something incredibly expensive and tailor made.

Steve gets *paid* to play what he does, and the reason that ibanez, etc., pay him to play their gear is so that impressionable young newbs buy that gear. Part of what those impressionable young newbs PAY for is the Steve Vai Brainwash (the price of endorsement fees is included in the sale price of course!).

Look, you need to learn that fame is its own reward. Nasty round little Kimmy Kardashian has done nothing in her life but get naked on occasion, and her mom has managed to parlay that into things like Kimmy's own perfume line. You've never gotten close enough to Kim Kardashian to smell her and you likely won't, but your girlfriend is still going to walk into Sears or Walmart (or go online) and buy that stuff and Kim is going to get paid, because that's the closest your girlfriend is going to get to that fame and notoriety.
Quote by Anthony1991

Truth is, every manufacturer has simply copied the original 4x12, which was laid out in chalk lines by Jim Marshall on a factory floor as "about right" to house four speakers in a compact way. It was four speakers because that was the number needed at the time to handle the power of the 100W amp he was building (25W each speaker). It was so badly designed that they had to add a bit of stump (2x2, 2x4, 4x4, etc.) in the center between the baffle and the back to reduce the resonant odd buzz that was being generated by the large back panel. No one had any idea of what "optimal placement" might be, and in those days there were no Thiele Small parameters/data available to aid in the design. The 4x12 as we know it exists ONLY because each guitarist following on has gazed up at the stage gear of those who have women fawning over them and said, "I gotta get me one of them thar geetars and them thar amplifiers." It hasn't been the sound; that's mostly come from close-miking a single speaker, sometimes from a tiny amp in a studio.

It's mostly been popular for the last 50 years because guitar players have largely been serial sheep, with each one influencing the next in a thoughtless line of nose to tail.
Quote by dustin.schumach
Dead set. I work in a warehouse and lift heavy things all day, my body has been primed to lug things, haha.

While I think the advantages of a 2x12 (portability, equivalent sound, easier to manage, etc.) outweigh the advantages of a 4x12 (looks), I respect that.

In that case, I'd look into something with V30s and that is all-ply construction. the PPC, the 1960AV (the V is important), a fair amount of Mesa cabs, the Carvin Legacy cab, used Avatars, etc. etc.

Curiously, why again do you want a slant? Just like the look better, or...
The Orange PPC and Marshall 1960 are good cabs, the Orange Crush 4x12 is crap and on par with your MG cab. The speakers are not V30's or even an attempt at being a clone of them.

Avatar cabs are great and 100% customizable with tolex, grill and speaker selection as well as having your choice of cab styles. You can even mix and match speakers in the cab when you order.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dementiacaptain
While I think the advantages of a 2x12 (portability, equivalent sound, easier to manage, etc.) outweigh the advantages of a 4x12 (looks), I respect that.

In that case, I'd look into something with V30s and that is all-ply construction. the PPC, the 1960AV (the V is important), a fair amount of Mesa cabs, the Carvin Legacy cab, used Avatars, etc. etc.

Honestly, I'm so used to having slant cabs. Many of the shows I play are house shows/not so professional with micing cabs or anything. I'm also a vocalist, so the slant helps to push my guitar sound straight to my ears, so I can hear my guitar much better. THAT BEING SAID: I could honestly not tell you if anything I said is worth any salt, as I have never gigged with a non-slanted cab. I only know what I have heard (more projection from a slant), and what I am used to. I feel a non-slant would throw me off...Maybe it's more of a comfort in familiarity thing?
Quote by Evilnine
FWIW I have a 4X12 with 2 sets of speakers in an X pattern and it is awesome, mine are not Celestians they are Eminence Patriot series I have 2 Texas Heats and 2 Swamp Thangs both have great qualities and different frequency responses the Swamp Thang has great tight low end response and a chunky tone while the Texas heat has a fat tone with some top end bite for clarity and they balance each other out well.

I have a Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 2X12 with V30s which are great speakers but have a mid range honk that can be annoying I have been contemplating swapping one for a T75.

I actually talked to a guy at my work today about V30s and T75s....He says the 75s are better for chugs, and have more bass presence. He mentioned the 30s being more harsh as well....He said a 30s are more for clean...but from listening to videos, the 75s sound more harsh....(Youtube is awful for decision making though, so I can't say that it's reliable...I've never played through either speaker, honestly.) I know where I can go to try a 1960 tomorrow, so I'll load up my gear and try it out....but I still can't find a PPC to try.
Quote by dementiacaptain

Also, what is the difference between the A and AV?
The A runs G12T75's and the AV runs V30's
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by dustin.schumach
I actually talked to a guy at my work today about V30s and T75s....He says the 75s are better for chugs, and have more bass presence. He mentioned the 30s being more harsh as well....He said a 30s are more for clean...but from listening to videos, the 75s sound more harsh....(Youtube is awful for decision making though, so I can't say that it's reliable...I've never played through either speaker, honestly.) I know where I can go to try a 1960 tomorrow, so I'll load up my gear and try it out....but I still can't find a PPC to try.

I always found the T75s fizzy. V30s when they aren't broken can be harsh, but I'd say that they are alright once they have been played in. I will admit that they can be a bit honky depending on settings and the amp they are used with. I prefer Eminence to most Celestions, I like Texas Heats, Swamp Thangs, Screamin' Eagles... Krank cabs are another one to check out, pretty cheap and very high quality (no slants though).
Quote by dustin.schumach
Honestly, I'm so used to having slant cabs. Many of the shows I play are house shows/not so professional with micing cabs or anything. I'm also a vocalist, so the slant helps to push my guitar sound straight to my ears, so I can hear my guitar much better.

If you're a vocalist and the slant helps to push your guitar sound straight to your ears, it's also pushing it straight into your vocal mike, and that usually screws up both the vocals and the guitar sound when you hear it out front in the audience, because it's delayed and sometimes out of phase coming from the PA when combining with whatever's coming out of the cabinet itself.

That's why so many bands have reduced their on-stage volume drastically (well, that, and tinnitus). They end up with a lot cleaner sound vocally AND instrumentally.
Page 1 of 2