Page 1 of 2
Title is pretty straight-forward. Here's the jist: He raped a girl, then said he didn't rape her. Then he said it was her fault. He was caught in the act, arrested, answered the questions, but then realized he had money so he bought his way out of a lot of time in the slammer.

I don't like buzzfeed at all, but here's a first-hand account from the girl's perspective:

One night in January 2015, two Stanford University graduate students biking across campus spotted a freshman thrusting his body on top of an unconscious, half-naked woman behind a dumpster. This March, a California jury found the former student, 20-year-old Brock Allen Turner, guilty of three counts of sexual assault. Turner faced a maximum of 14 years in state prison. On Thursday, he was sentenced to six months in county jail and probation. The judge said he feared a longer sentence would have a “severe impact” on Turner, a champion swimmer who once aspired to compete in the Olympics — a point repeatedly brought up during the trial.
On Thursday, Turner’s victim addressed him directly, detailing the severe impact his actions had on her — from the night she learned she had been assaulted by a stranger while unconscious, to the grueling trial during which Turner’s attorneys argued that she had eagerly consented.
The woman, now 23, told BuzzFeed News she was disappointed with the “gentle” sentence and angry that Turner still denied sexually assaulting her.
“Even if the sentence is light, hopefully this will wake people up,” she said. “I want the judge to know that he ignited a tiny fire. If anything, this is a reason for all of us to speak even louder.”

Source: https://www.buzzfeed.com/katiejmbaker/heres-the-powerful-letter-the-stanford-victim-read-to-her-ra?utm_term=.olVXqejom#.wkWN7ZRVr

Supplementary Sources: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/02/stanford-swimmer-sexual-assault-brock-allen-turner-palo-alto

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex-stanford-swimmer-brock-turner-s-jail-term-decried-too-n585981

Also he can't apply for a Swim membership. At least someone knows what punishment looks like:

https://swimswam.com/brock-turner-not-eligible-usa-swimming-membership/

There are some questions being brought up here, like:

Does this help in preventing women coming forward after they've been sexually assaulted?
Is it really her fault? I mean come on.
Should women be held accountable for being raped if they drink too much? (of course not, but the opposition seems to think so)
Is the justice system too lenient on rapists with status?
Is money more important to the justice system?
Can well paid lawyers get you out of anything?

Those are some biased questions that are more sarcastic than they are serious. They're jokingly asked, but ultimately reflecting the nature of this case and Brock Turner's opposition.

So what your thoughts on the case?

Also, it's really nice that no one has identified the girl who was raped. Anonymity is a beautiful prospect when used rightly. The stress incurred on this girl if her name was made known by major news outlets could be even more damaging.
Well gosh he's a good swimmer, this changes everything. Good call judge.

Horseshit.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
rape is bad innocent until proven guilty etc.

He was found guilty though.

6 months is incredibly low. Of course women are not reporting their rape thanks to these cases. Not only is it difficult to get a sentencing and when it does happen, the penalty is too low, but you have to go through the entire trial and live with the stigma for the rest of your life. The act itself is horrible and the life long sentence attached to the victim should really lead to harsher sentences.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by EndTheRapture51
rape is bad innocent until proven guilty etc.

Exactly.

He was caught with his pants down on top of her naked body by several people and it was confirmed by hospital care she was sexually assaulted.

Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Prison sentences for violent felonies are supposed to be severe.

Yeah you're right, that's why he is no longer eligible for a USA swimming membership. I know it's a difficult decision to make, but somebody has to put their foot down.
Quote by severed-metal

Yeah you're right, that's why he is no longer eligible for a USA swimming membership. I know it's a difficult decision to make, but somebody has to put their foot down.

oh, such a travesty. His swimming career won't work out. The poor little fella just... it's too terrible to even speak of.
He's definitely got the rape eyes down.

Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
The law in general is too lenient in dealing with people who have 'status', whether that be be cash money or even celebrity. In Germany you can literally pay x amount to not to go to jail and to have all of the charges dropped. That's what Bernie Ecclestone seems to do on a yearly basis.

Rape is never cool. Ever. Some people might just brush it off and try to frame the rape as 'rape', as in, she was 'eager' to be 'raped'. Who the fuck does that, who the fuck would sell their soul so readily to ever frame a sentence like that. If you ask me the lawyers who defended this tool are just as bad as him. You've got to be a real fuckin' mercenary to not want to punch this guy in the face repeatedly really hard.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Indeed.

Here are some more articles:

http://jezebel.com/father-of-stanford-rapist-argues-his-son-should-not-be-1780656927

Father thinks the son shouldn't have his career ruined over 20 minutes of action. Brock Turner has no history of criminal action. Also, Brock never had a violent past. Brock should get probation so he can spread awareness for this issue.

Man, imagine having been raped, sitting in the audience at one of these speeches, and listen to Brock Turner talk about how he raped a girl by accident.

http://www.mercurynews.com/scott-herhold/ci_29966203/brock-turner-deserves-county-jail-not-state-prison

This guy thinks that the prison sentence should be six months. This is because Brock Turner seems to be genuinely remorseful, and state prison is for people who are unable to change. Not to mention Brock has to live with this his entire life as a sexual offender. Brock is no longer a threat to the community.

Herhold says the culture of drinking is more important here. Not the fact Turner raped a girl, and was conscious enough to run away after he was seen.
This has been pretty universally frowned upon, from what I can see. Other than the change in the leniency shown in 'punishment' ("but it's not about punishment it's about rehabilitation!"), there's been no real controversy.

What's interesting is how many of you crowd who want the longer sentence also ostensibly support a justice system whose sole purpose is to rehabilitate and not punish or deter.

makes u think
My God, it's full of stars!
Don't forget the sex offender status. He's not doing much hard time, but the rest of his life is going to be terrible. His whole world has been taken from him, and that's alright with me.
He ain't famous y should I care?
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Probably would be easier and more common to convict people of rape if it wasn't isolated and treated like this crime that is soooo far above and beyond any and all other crimes that nothing else can ever even be compared to it.

If this same guy was caught viciously beating someone to the point of internal and external bleeding, no one would be giving a fuck about him only getting 6 months.
But since it's rape, medieval torture methods need to be resurrected.
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jun 5, 2016,
Quote by Dreadnought
This has been pretty universally frowned upon, from what I can see. Other than the change in the leniency shown in 'punishment' ("but it's not about punishment it's about rehabilitation!"), there's been no real controversy.

What's interesting is how many of you crowd who want the longer sentence also ostensibly support a justice system whose sole purpose is to rehabilitate and not punish or deter.

makes u think

If only the system actually worked the way it defines itself as? Last time I checked state prisons were continuing being over crowded.

I do think however the point about drinking culture is somewhat valid; if you decide to drink yourself to the point you collapse on the street and are unable to wake up to being violated - well I'm certainly not saying you're 'inviting' rape but you are allowing for it to be a possibility. She could have easily been mugged or even murdered because she decided to consume so much alcohol she forgot what planet she was even on. Hell if she was in Chicago during winter she may well have even died.

If you want my opinion on Brock's sentence:

1. Accept guilt for the actual crime he committed, none of this lawyer bullshit
2. Attend courses/counselling on rape (for his act and his own mental state)
3. Write an apology letter to the person he raped, admitting his guilt and his sorrow
4. Serve community service for 6+ months
5. Deliver local campus talks about rape/allow his story to be used as a learning tool (lady's name and likeness removed)

His potential swimming career was thrown away by himself the second he decided to commit rape. That's just life. Everyone is faced with certain possibilities and if you're pursuing a specific career, well you should know the risks - especially if it's a public career like athletics.

It's no different from being in a band that's trying to get signed. Guess what, you don't go and get a criminal record because now you can't go on tour*

*Go on tour without significant ball ache to the point most labels/companies would rather have you removed
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991 at #33997059
If you ask me the lawyers who defended this tool are just as bad as him.

ugh
Quote by jakesmellspoo
I may have jumped the gun and I was wrong I think. I have no idea the legal definition of rape so I shouldn't have made that claim. The two charges of rape were dropped, but he still has these three felony charges pending:

-sexual penetration of an intoxicated woman
-sexual penetration of an unconscious woman
-assault with intent to commit rape

So, he's got three felony charges.

Although having sex with a person who cannot consent may be considered as rape in California.

Quote by Dreadnought

makes u think

Ok, shoehorning in a counter-point to a point that nobody has made yet is a little silly, but I see where you're coming from. Rehabilitation cannot be done without punishment.

There has been real controversy regarding the punishment and the influence of status on the case. Not to mention the outright denial by Brock Turner that it was his fault and not the alcohol's fault.

I think, after my bit of reading (if anyone wants to inform me otherwise I'd be welcome to hear), that a felony charge is a minimum of one year in prison. But, also it's a Wobbler offense (maybe) So they can be charged as a misdemeanor which would get rid of time in incarceration.

Like I said, if anyone knows more then it's always helpful.
Last edited by severed-metal at Jun 5, 2016,
Quote by Dreadnought

makes u think

cue 10,000 word gonzaw essay
Quote by bradulator
cue 10,000 word gonzaw essay

Jfc please no
I don't understand why an Olympic caliber swimmer, who is still in college, would need to resort to rape in order to get pussy. I know for most that actually commit rape that it's not as much about sex as it is about having raw, animalist control over someone else. Usually there were signs leading up to stuff like this, and if it's true that this guy had no priors, was awesome to everyone, and well liked (including by the ladies), then why the hell would he rape someone?

Two lives were fucked up here.
Quote by Anthony1991
If only the system actually worked the way it defines itself as? Last time I checked state prisons were continuing being over crowded.

Not by rapists. This point is stupid.

Alternatively, this is a good time to discuss whether the sex offender registry is a good idea or a terrible one.

Persons who perform other violent yet non-sexual crimes against others do not have to register for a similar list or notification system, yet we have this. Is this overly damning of those who commit any act that falls within the broad spectrum of sexual inadequacies?

makes u think
Sex offender list sounds like an ok idea in theory, but it doesn't accomplish anything. Maybe it isn't an ok idea after all. What's the real point of it? Does it help rehabilitated people? Not really. They already have a criminal record for what the committed and have done the time and deemed safe to be in society at this point, or safe enough. I think it hurts those who are rehabilitated.

Quote by Anthony1991
I do think however the point about drinking culture is somewhat valid; if you decide to drink yourself to the point you collapse on the street and are unable to wake up to being violated - well I'm certainly not saying you're 'inviting' rape but you are allowing for it to be a possibility. She could have easily been mugged or even murdered because she decided to consume so much alcohol she forgot what planet she was even on. Hell if she was in Chicago during winter she may well have even died.

I think that's a premise not worth discussing right now. I really don't think I need to explain to you the difference between dying from exposure and getting sexually assaulted. This is an assumption that you're intelligent and enough of an adult to know the difference and where the burden of blame sits. "allowing for it to be a possibility" is weak.

Hemhold is an irresponsible writer for bringing this point in this situation. Yes, excessive drinking in colleges can be a problem, but bringing it up when rape is involved isn't thought out very well.

Quote by bdof
then why the hell would he rape someone?

He sexually assaulted her because he thought a backrub was enough for consent and was "too drunk" to realize she was unconscious. Couple those things with "fuck an unconscious girl behind a dumpster" being checked off his bucket list and you have a situation bound to happen.
Quote by severed-metal at #33996971

I'd hardly call this putting your foot down. It's a very anemic punishment, to say the least. I wouldn't even call it a difficult decision. I doubt any people in charge of a sports organization would hesitate to prohibit membership to somebody who's found guilty of rape. It's a good way to have your business/organization boycotted if you didn't.
Quote by bdof at #33997219
I don't understand why an Olympic caliber swimmer, who is still in college, would need to resort to rape in order to get pussy. I know for most that actually commit rape that it's not as much about sex as it is about having raw, animalist control over someone else.

Well?
Last edited by chrismendiola at Jun 5, 2016,
Quote by severed-metal
Sex offender list sounds like an ok idea in theory, but it doesn't accomplish anything. Maybe it isn't an ok idea after all. What's the real point of it? Does it help rehabilitated people? Not really. They already have a criminal record for what the committed and have done the time and deemed safe to be in society at this point, or safe enough. I think it hurts those who are rehabilitated.

My impression is that its purpose is to protect communities that have sexual predators living within them.

Bolded: I can defs see it helping. Acknowledging error and facing guilt can be rehabilitative. I can also see it causing recidivism. It shouldn't be an umbrella tool when the latter is possible.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable talking about rapists as eventual victims to our vengeful zeal when the case outlined in the OP will mostly revolve around our "This young man is simply too young for punishment, boys will be boys, did that girl drink?" and "Lynch him publicly, I hope he gets raped in prison" camps.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jun 6, 2016,
Quote by ErikLensherr
ugh

If you accepted money to argue that a girl 'invited rape because she was passed out', would you be able to sleep at night? I wouldn't be able to. You've got to be a real fuckin' mercenary to do something like that, or have a significantly distorted world view.

Quote by Dreadnought
Not by rapists. This point is stupid.

Alternatively, this is a good time to discuss whether the sex offender registry is a good idea or a terrible one.

Persons who perform other violent yet non-sexual crimes against others do not have to register for a similar list or notification system, yet we have this. Is this overly damning of those who commit any act that falls within the broad spectrum of sexual inadequacies?

makes u think

At what point did you specify rapists in particular? You were talking about reform being the point of 'justice', I countered that if reform was the goal of 'justice' then the prisons wouldn't be so overcrowded. Intent of justice and its practice are two very different things in modern legal systems, this very case defines that.

You can't not have a sex offender registry in this time, it's used as a preventative measure rather than as a 'calling out', as in its used to prevent this person from working in an elementary school or whatever.

Should there be a violence list? Yeah, if you ask me. Having a violent employee is dangerous, and repeated violence especially needs to be prevented. I do think that there should be an ability to 'work your name' off the these registers though to be honest. I understand mistakes, or a temptation, but if reform and rehabilitation is the real goal here then there needs to be a way to create a life without having that constantly shadow you.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
>swimming career

does he work at seaworld or something

maybe next time he gets in a pool he will drown from the weight of his guilt
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jun 6, 2016,
Quote by Dreadnought

makes u think

It depends. Violently raping somebody is worse than like a 20 year old girl having consensual sex with another girl that says that she is 18 only to find out she is like a week shy of the age of consent. Should you be on a list for the rest of your life because a girl lied and said that she was a week older than she was?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Anthony1991 at #33997544
If you accepted money to argue that a girl 'invited rape because she was passed out', would you be able to sleep at night? I wouldn't be able to. You've got to be a real fuckin' mercenary to do something like that, or have a significantly distorted world view.

A lawyer's "world view" has nothing to do with them doing their job. Suspected terrorists in Guantanamo Bay get lawyers too, doesn't mean they support terrorism. It means they support the core tenet of our justice system where everyone has a right to due process.

Really dumb thing to say.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by ErikLensherr
A lawyer's "world view" has nothing to do with them doing their job. Suspected terrorists in Guantanamo Bay get lawyers too, doesn't mean they support terrorism. It means they support the core tenet of our justice system where everyone has a right to due process.

Really dumb thing to say.

From your point of view. They're still representing that person. I certainly wouldn't work to my full potential for those people. And even if I somehow did, I certainly wouldn't produce a defense based on a rape victim 'inviting rape'... At least produce a defense that's not completely insulting to the victim and has at least some grain of truth to the matter.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
fuck this guy and his dad and the judge

obviously his swimming career is going to be damaged

girl is traumatised and that is sad

prison should be about rehabilitation first although the overall nature of this case seems too lenient cause he's rich.

sex offender registry is bad
Quote by Anthony1991 at #33998148
From your point of view. They're still representing that person. I certainly wouldn't work to my full potential for those people. And even if I somehow did, I certainly wouldn't produce a defense based on a rape victim 'inviting rape'... At least produce a defense that's not completely insulting to the victim and has at least some grain of truth to the matter.

Ignoring your issues with representation of people who commit heinous crimes, how are the lawyers just as bad as a rapist?
Free Ali
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Just to ignore the idiotic conversation going on above, here's the letter the victim wrote following the trial:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/katiejmbaker/heres-the-powerful-letter-the-stanford-victim-read-to-her-ra?utm_term=.plX3JwnvkB#.mhWwavL92x

Which is devastating to say the least.

Yeah that was one of the main reasons I made this thread, I think the entire situation is garbola and Brock Turner's flip-flopping and status have emerged as a serious issue and problem to the justice system.

There are some parts that just make people shake with anger, especially the Brock Turner turn. Not to mention the bit where she talks about waking up in the hospital and the nurses hugging her when she left.
Page 1 of 2