Hey guys,
After listening to me while I was practicing, my cousin asked me to play a bit on my 25.5" (648mm) scale length guitar and decided to buy one. But she is short and thus has problems with playing chords on a guitar with that scale length. With almost 20 years, I don't think that she'll be growing into it :p
She'd love to buy a black guitar and wants to spend ~200 to 250 euros for a beginner set.
Are there any good sets in that price range with guitars that have short scale lengths?
We were thinking about buying this set and replacing the amp when she is more experienced, she immediately fell in love with that guitar's appearance. :
Ibanez Jumpstart Mikro IJM21RU-BKN Black Night

We'll test it on tuesday, but since I'm only a beginner myself and don't like to only(!) rely on the vendor's opinion and first impressions, I'd like to get some suggestions.
Last edited by juvion at Jun 5, 2016,
Anybody who is unfamiliar with playing guitar is going to have great difficulty playing chords regardless of the scale length. I don't really think the scale length is the issue.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Anybody who is unfamiliar with playing guitar is going to have great difficulty playing chords regardless of the scale length. I don't really think the scale length is the issue.

I know that but with her it just seems kind of impossible..
I've never seen someone that has a hand which is as small as hers haha
But maybe a 24.75" scale length is a better choice? A bit smaller than mine, but still in a "normal" range.
In that case, we are thinking about going for this set Epiphone Les Paul Player Pack EB Ebony
Last edited by juvion at Jun 5, 2016,
Quote by juvion
But maybe a 24.75" scale length is a better choice? A bit smaller than mine, but still in a "normal" range.
In that case, we are thinking about going for this set Epiphone Les Paul Player Pack EB Ebony

If her hands really are as tiny as you say they are, then chances are she isn't going to have much better luck playing anything 24.75" either. The difference between one and the other is only 3/4".

The Ibanez Mikro might not be that bad of an option. Unfortunately decent quality guitars made for really small hands don't really exist. They're made primarily for kids and very cheaply at that.

Using a capo on a standard scale guitar would not be a terrible idea, provided that she learns not to play in the wrong key if she does take the capo off.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by juvion

The simple truth is probsbly be easier to use a 24.75" scale instrument, but not by much. It really is more likely to be a technique issue.

After all, how tiny is she really?

Prince was 5'2", and Kaki King is 5'1":

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ohyx8TfExLQ

Then, of course, there is Unlocking the Truth- they were @11 years old at the time:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Q1qBNrlXo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BjMfdzjbl_Q

All that said, there ARE some "full scale guitars" that are smaller still- just 24". One such is the Brian May Special. I think there are some guitars in that scale made by Fender/Squier, too.

http://shop.brianmayguitars.co.uk/the-bmg-special.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 5, 2016,
She's new - it's hard for any new player to fret without some discomfort as they don't have the hand strength.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Agreed. This is the experience I had starting out along with sore fingertips, but that has gone away as I've been playing. I'm 5'5" and only been playing less than a year. That goes away as you get into it. Trying out an RG8 was a little rough but aside from that even using a 7 string hasn't been uncomfortable. I don't know if any exercises would help, but in my short experience, you just have to play. Pulling a Strat or an LP to play, I really can't tell a difference. The only guitar that felt cramped was a Laguna LE50 (or whatever ~$100 starter guitar it was) and I think that was a short-scale axe.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Everything is hard when you are new. Scale length has everything to do with technique and nothing to do with how big your hands are unless you literally cannot reach the end of the neck or your finger is smaller then the fretboard.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Thanks for all the answers guys!
We'll just buy a regular sized guitar and IF it really turns out to be too big, I'll take it for a different tuning and buy her a new one.
In that price range (~250Euros for the guitar, amp, strap and gig bag),
I'd probably go for a Fender Squier + Frontman 15G set but she doesn't like the Squier design :/
She wants a guitar with a plain, black design.
Are the cheaper Epiphone Les Pauls - like the Special II that I have posted - any good or only the more expensive models ?
Would be awesome if you guys had any recommendations in that price range
The Special IIs are junk IMO. You would be better off with something else.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I think you've made the right choice. I've got a friend about the same height as you describe, complete with dinky hands, and she doesn't seem to have trouble; I'd put it down to being a beginner.

You can get smaller scale lengths, but I don't think it will aid your friend in the long run. My bet is that eventually she'll want to buy a better guitar, and a better one after that, and that will cost more if it has to be a special scale length.

As for guitars, if you're happy to go used, then you could get an Epiphone Les Paul standard model for that price, (and have a budget left over for an amp) which is a far nicer guitar than any of the starter kit guitars mentioned.

Otherwise, the Ibanez would be fine. I don't understand the hate for the Specials, the ones I've played were fine for the price (some weird neck reliefs), but maybe I've been lucky.

The Tanglewood electric guitars are quite nice too and ideal for starting, but they're really hard to come by now, I'm not sure if they're still made.
Quote by Cathbard
These guitars were designed with girls in mind.

https://www.daisyrock.com/products/electric-guitars-basses

I did work experience in a music store that stocked these things. When I was there, the lot of them had hung unsold on the wall for a full year - until I got them down to try. They went straight back up.

To the best of my knowledge, they're still on that wall*. For the price, they're junk. Their better models, if they were about £100 cheaper, would attract a derisive "you get what you pay for", and that's about the best I can say of them. As they were, not a chance. The only way in which they're "designed with girls in mind" is the glitter and pink which, as it happens, is also their sole redeeming feature.

*Actually, I just checked and the shop went bust a year ago. It was probably the damn Daisy Rock Guitars.

A serious suggestion for OP, it sounds like you have a very limited budget, and you really would do well to shop used. If you need to buy new, get a Yamaha Pacifica.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I did work experience in a music store that stocked these things. When I was there, the lot of them had hung unsold on the wall for a full year - until I got them down to try. They went straight back up.

To the best of my knowledge, they're still on that wall*. For the price, they're junk. Their better models, if they were about £100 cheaper, would attract a derisive "you get what you pay for", and that's about the best I can say of them. As they were, not a chance. The only way in which they're "designed with girls in mind" is the glitter and pink which, as it happens, is also their sole redeeming feature.

*Actually, I just checked and the shop went bust a year ago. It was probably the damn Daisy Rock Guitars.

A serious suggestion for OP, it sounds like you have a very limited budget, and you really would do well to shop used. If you need to buy new, get a Yamaha Pacifica.

She's not a clichee girl anyways. Doesn't like that glitter stuff or pink as a color in general.

Yeah, I know that this budget is pretty limited, that's why I'm desperately asking for suggestions
I bought my first guitar a month ago and decided to buy an Ibanez RG421-WK for 245Euros(It was returned because it had a few scratches and thus was sold cheaper) and a Fender Mustang I V2 amp because I wanted a guitar that sounds good and can get used until I feel like I should buy a higher-end model.
However, she doesn't want to buy used..
I'll keep the Pacifica in mind but I'm pretty sure that I can convince her to spend up to 300 euros if she falls in love with the design of the guitar
Squier makes both a jaguar and a mustang that have a 24" scale length (Vintage Modified Series). The Mustang would probably be ideal for a smaller gal who wants to learn to play. But, it might be a tad pricier than your budget and not black. You might be able to find something along those lines used, but hard to say.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by juvion
I'll keep the Pacifica in mind but I'm pretty sure that I can convince her to spend up to 300 euros if she falls in love with the design of the guitar

How does she like SGs? The Epiphone G-400 is just a tad over 300€ on Thomann, you could probably find it for 300 and those are pretty nice.

Quote by ThunderPunk
Squier makes both a jaguar and a mustang that have a 24" scale length (Vintage Modified Series). The Mustang would probably be ideal for a smaller gal who wants to learn to play. But, it might be a tad pricier than your budget and not black. You might be able to find something along those lines used, but hard to say.

No experience with the Mustang but the Jag was a chore to keep in tune. The VM series is pretty great stuff for the money though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
How does she like SGs? The Epiphone G-400 is just a tad over 300€ on Thomann, you could probably find it for 300 and those are pretty nice.

Sorry, I meant 300 dollars for a complete set :'D
Should have mentioned that.
Though, she just texted me that it is okay if the guitar isn't black but sounds well.
That'll make things a lot easier. ^^"
What do you think about this set ?
Fender Set
Last edited by juvion at Jun 7, 2016,
Quote by juvion
Sorry, I meant 300 dollars for a complete set :'D
Should have mentioned that.
Though, she just texted me that it is okay if the guitar isn't black but sounds well.
That'll make things a lot easier. ^^"
What do you think about this set ?
Fender Set

The Squier Affinities are nothing special, but they're not too bad as starter instruments. The amp's going to be the bigger factor in the sound, and the Frontman is not going to sound great. On that budget, I'd probably just try to get a slightly nicer guitar and save up for an amp, because for 300€ you can't get both a decent guitar and a decent amp unless you shop for used gear (even then, you'd struggle).
Quote by K33nbl4d3
The Squier Affinities are nothing special, but they're not too bad as starter instruments. The amp's going to be the bigger factor in the sound, and the Frontman is not going to sound great. On that budget, I'd probably just try to get a slightly nicer guitar and save up for an amp, because for 300€ you can't get both a decent guitar and a decent amp unless you shop for used gear (even then, you'd struggle).

Didn't think about that.
I'll check some amp simulators tomorrow, if I can find a decent one that she can use until she can buy a better amp, that will be the way to go.
Last edited by juvion at Jun 7, 2016,
Quote by juvion
Didn't think about that.
I'll check some amp modelling softwares tomorrow, if I can find a decent one that she can use until she can buy a better amp, that will be the way to go.

Good luck I realise "you need more money" isn't a very helpful response, but at this kind of price level a difference of 100€ makes a big difference in quality and it's worth spending that extra on the guitar rather than an amp you'll want to replace within a year. I didn't get an amp until a year after I bought my first guitar.
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jun 7, 2016,
I used a Korg Pandora Px4 & headphones for 3 years before I had an amp.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!