My wife and I are going there in the first week of august (yeah yeah, hurricanes bla bla) and were wondering if anyone had any suggestions or wanted to meet up or could reccomend good gigs and such.

We're staying in the french quarter close to the river but have no problem renting a car and exploring or busing it.

Thanks for any suggestions!
If you're in the French Quarter, you shouldn't have any problem finding live music. There are bands all over and people busking (check out the area around the St. Louis cathedral--there are usually people playing there in the evenings). All kinds of different music all over the place.

Bourbon St is (obviously) pretty raucous and loud, but there are a lot of restaurants and art galleries on Royal and Chartres, which are one and two blocks over. Less pot smoke and drunk people, but still lively.

If you stay around the French Quarter, you probably won't need a car. If you go further out (say to the cemeteries and stuff), it's pretty reasonable to take the trolley around--I think $3 for a 24-hour pass, if I remember correctly.
Be careful! New Orleans has a lot of interesting night life, but it's also an easy place to get mugged in, especially in the Quarter. Don't drink too much and always be aware of your surroundings, career criminals seek out the drunk and stupid because they are easy.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Be careful! New Orleans has a lot of interesting night life, but it's also an easy place to get mugged in, especially in the Quarter. Don't drink too much and always be aware of your surroundings, career criminals seek out the drunk and stupid because they are easy.

+1 to that, especially in the French Quarter

Also, if you plan on drinking and want to try the local stuff, get either a Hurricane or a Hand Grenade, but both one after the other will make you forget your name. Loads of sugar in them mask that there's 151 rum.

Royal St. is my favorite there.
I once did a vore roleplay session with a hot lesbian with a tatoo of Majora's Mask that was from New Orleans but living in California. That's all I have to say about New Orleans other than the Saints might never win another playoff game ever.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Arby911

Yes, +1 to this my parents went to NOLA back before Katrina, the first thing the tour guide told them was not to walk down any alleys in the French Quarter because muggers hide in the recessed doorways, he also told them not to go driving around out in the country. The desk clerk at the hotel they stayed in wrote down their credit card information and charged like $3000 or $4000 on QVC and at local stores, I was at home and got a call from the bank asking if my parents where in Louisiana and if they would spend $2000 on shoes because that was not their normal spending habits.

They caught the woman because she was ignorant enough to have the stuff shipped to her real address. My dad said he would never go back again.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Thanks all for the information. I've heard that the crime situation has been getting better in the past few years but we're still going to be on our toes.