Ever play one of these Koa Weissenborn Acoustics by Iseman Guitars in Hawai'i?
I've never actually seen a Hawaiian Guitar in person, nobody ever stocks them. I'd love to play one though! And I love how that one looks
Beautiful, uniquely shaped guitar but it looks like it would be hard to play past the 3rd fret with the neck width and impossible past the 7th or 8th fret. Great show piece though.
Quote by hotrodney71
Beautiful, uniquely shaped guitar but it looks like it would be hard to play past the 3rd fret with the neck width and impossible past the 7th or 8th fret. Great show piece though.

It's a lap steel, so fretting isn't an issue. Most are fairly dark-sounding. OTOH, the kona design was designed as a sort of hybrid, a lap steel that could fretted on the first few frets if a standard nut was used. This is my kona, next to an electric lap steel I made:

It is very bright.
Quote by hotrodney71

Thanks for the clarification Tony, yes this a square-hollow neck design that was made in the early 1900's by Knutson and Hermann Weissenborn, that allowed for a large amount of volume and resonance for Lap Steel Players in those days.
Beautiful Kona Tony! Do you know what year it is? I imagine it would sound pretty bright with the solid neck. Looks beautiful. Great job on the electric as well.
It was sold to me by a reputable dealer here in oz as a Gibson prototype, shortly after they acquired the Dobro mark from OMI, so around 1995. They apparently made a few, and I used to be able to find info on them, but haven't been able to recently.

It is made from mahogany, and workmanship is very rough, which suggests that it is indeed a prototype. They were originally unfinished, the dealer gave it a basic finish, and I refinished it.

Since taking that pic, I have installed three brass bridge pins, to mellow the tone a bit.