I have recently bought an Marshall DSL40CC. It is louder than expected and i am unable to drive the tubes to get my desired tone because cranking up the volume on the amp would be too loud and there is no master volume on the am. I was thinking of putting an Attenuator in the effects loop and the amp so that I can crank the amp up loud to drive the valves and the turn down the volume after the pre amp with the Attenuator. I have my eye on the Electro-Harmonix Nano Signal Pad. Do you think the could do the job?

Thanks for your replies in advance.
Turn up the gain, turn down the volume, which is independent on each channel.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
The DSL40 does have separate volume and gain controls. I wouldn't think an attenuator would do much of anything in the effects loop, though, because your volume isn't coming from the preamp, it's coming from the power amp, which is why attenuators go between the power amp and the speaker.
Quote by Arby911
Turn up the gain, turn down the volume, which is independent on each channel.

I have the gain on max but volume on 1 is too loud
Quote by Dolphin Guitar
I have the gain on max but volume on 1 is too loud

A. Why oh why is your gain at max?

B. You may have purchased the wrong piece of gear if you can't turn it above 1.

C. You're already driving the preamp as hard as you can, nothing after the pre will change that.

D. Why oh why is your gain at max?
Charles Darwin
What amp did you have before? If you can't use this amp at any volume, perhaps a headphone setup is a better fit. As mentioned, cranking the gain is probably a mistake. The channel volumes on this amp function in the same way that a master volume would. The EHX "attenuator" is just a volume knob in a box and bears little to no resemblance to a traditional guitar attenuator.

Try your amp in half-power mode with a distortion pedal out front. If it's still too loud, you bought the wrong thing. In any case, I'd think strongly about returning the amp and getting something that fits your needs better.
Agree with the above but to answer your question if the master volumes are not what you want buy a MXR 10-Band EQ M108 and put that in the loop. There are sliders for volume before (gain) and after (volume) the EQ sliders. The extra EQ will probably help at the volume you want as well.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Arby911

C. You're already driving the preamp as hard as you can, nothing after the pre will change that.

do you even guitar bro?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
do you even guitar bro?

Nah, I do sick beats on a PC tho!
(I'm not cool enough for an iMac )
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jun 6, 2016,
Quote by Arby911
Nah, I do sick beats on a PC tho!
(I'm not cool enough for an iMac )

awesome, macs are for poseurs anyway.

punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Have you changed the Pentode/Triode Switch on the back of the amp to Triode mode? That will reduce the power output.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Have you changed the Pentode/Triode Switch on the back of the amp to Triode mode? That will reduce the power output.

Yes I have it on half power 20w mode
Quote by metalmingee
Agree with the above but to answer your question if the master volumes are not what you want buy a MXR 10-Band EQ M108 and put that in the loop. There are sliders for volume before (gain) and after (volume) the EQ sliders. The extra EQ will probably help at the volume you want as well.

This is your best bet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
A dirt pedal will do the job, get yourself an MI Audio Crunch Box and you're set.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
That as well. A Timmy would be good too. Push the front end harder. An eq would help but boosting the front will probably satisfy him well enough.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Arby911

Today the ultra gain channel broke. Now there is no guitar sound on the ultra gain channel only crackling. Could this be the result to lack on gain earlier? If I got it replaced would it be more likely to get a better sound than before? Or would I be better of the the dsl 5w?
Sounds like the preamp tube died. That might have been causing issues before, but it also sounds like you're not able to use much volume. If you don't need to play with a band or anything, the 5 watt version is probably a smarter choice.

Since you have to return it anyway, why not take the opportunity to play some other amps and figure out your volume situation? Or did you buy it online?
Quote by Dolphin Guitar
Today the ultra gain channel broke. Now there is no guitar sound on the ultra gain channel only crackling. Could this be the result to lack on gain earlier? If I got it replaced would it be more likely to get a better sound than before? Or would I be better of the the dsl 5w?

Did you buy this new?
Moving on.....
Quote by Roc8995
Sounds like the preamp tube died. That might have been causing issues before, but it also sounds like you're not able to use much volume. If you don't need to play with a band or anything, the 5 watt version is probably a smarter choice.

Since you have to return it anyway, why not take the opportunity to play some other amps and figure out your volume situation? Or did you buy it online?

I bought new online on eBay
Quote by Roc8995

I was surprised to see the 5W model came with a 10 inch speaker (bonus) but I personally would be loath to spend $$ on a 5W amp. It'd be useless for anything but home use (especially if you want some cleans). Could not the DSL15 be a better compromise as it would allow for use outside the bedroom/home? With it in Triode mode it'd be around 7Ws which while still loud for home might be fine at low volume settings and the output tubes are 6v6. Not sure what the heck an ECC99 (in the DSL5) is?
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jun 9, 2016,
It sounds like it's specifically for super quiet home use so the 1 watt mode on the DLS5 is probably worth having. If TS can't even crack the volume knob on 20 watts, I'm thinking that nearly any headroom at all is being wasted. 6V6s are a more recognizable tube but that doesn't do much good if they're just sitting there getting choked down to whisper volumes. I haven't played the DSL15 yet but the 7 watt mode may not be a ton quieter than 20W mode on the DSL40. 1 watt mode on the 5 is pretty damn quiet, and the 5 watt mode has enough clean headroom for home use. I get the 'compromise' angle, but I didn't get the impression this amp was going to be used with a band or for anything besides quiet home playing. TS could help out by giving us some more information to work with.

I still think headphones might be the real answer here. Still want to know what TS was using for an amp before so we can get some notion of what volumes might be practical.
Quote by KenG
I was surprised to see the 5W model came with a 10 inch speaker (bonus) but I personally would be loath to spend $$ on a 5W amp. It'd be useless for anything but home use (especially if you want some cleans). Could not the DSL15 be a better compromise as it would allow for use outside the bedroom/home? With it in Triode mode it'd be around 7Ws which while still loud for home might be fine at low volume settings and the output tubes are 6v6. Not sure what the heck an ECC99 (in the DSL5) is?

Yes the dsl15 would be great however it's the only one in the ds range with out an ex loop for some reason
Quote by Roc8995
It sounds like it's specifically for super quiet home use so the 1 watt mode on the DLS5 is probably worth having. If TS can't even crack the volume knob on 20 watts, I'm thinking that nearly any headroom at all is being wasted. 6V6s are a more recognizable tube but that doesn't do much good if they're just sitting there getting choked down to whisper volumes. I haven't played the DSL15 yet but the 7 watt mode may not be a ton quieter than 20W mode on the DSL40. 1 watt mode on the 5 is pretty damn quiet, and the 5 watt mode has enough clean headroom for home use. I get the 'compromise' angle, but I didn't get the impression this amp was going to be used with a band or for anything besides quiet home playing. TS could help out by giving us some more information to work with.

I still think headphones might be the real answer here. Still want to know what TS was using for an amp before so we can get some notion of what volumes might be practical.

I was using before was a line 6 spider IV 30w or 15w I think I have the master volume only just on and the channel volume on max. The clean channel on the line 6 is terrible but the distortion is ok ish. However I loved the clean and crunch on the marshall because it seemed have more high and low range. Just couldn't get a cutting solo tone out of it. Still the marshall is way way way better than what ihad. Have got a refund on the marshall amp I'm definitely going to buy another amp instead just not sure which. I'm currently not in a band and probably won't be for quite awhile.