So I have €255 which is enough for the VIP 2 but I'm just thinking.. Should I save for the VIP 3? I'm in a metal band now and I'm 14 and that's pretty much the reason I'm getting a vypyr. I used to have a Marshall MG30CFX which is absoloutely shit for metal. Pardon the language but that's the only word I have to describe it. So would 40 watts and an 12" speaker be enough for small gigs (usually the size of a large room but eventually the size of a smallish PE hall) ID really prefer to get the VIP 2 as its gonna take me another while of annoying and not getting any practice on guitar until I save up another €90 for the VIP 3. Do I need the extra 60 watts? I can always mic up I suppose.. The amp will also be a practice bedroom amp. There's also a guy near me selling a peavey vypyr 75 for €250 second hand but I hear the VIPs are an improvement in tone and I'm probably planning on recording too and I think the VIP is better for that.. So what should I go for the VIP 3, the VIP 2 or the vypyr 75? Don't mention the tube 60 or 6505+ combo because there's no where near me selling those atm.. Basically all I want is a kickass metal tone and I know that the vypyr is my best option. Btw I will be probably upgrading to a larger tube half stack or something in the next few years when I start to earn my own money and move out but I want a good amp to get me started into the whole metal scene..
Quote by Guitar_Noob325
So I have €255 which is enough for the VIP 2 but I'm just thinking.. Should I save for the VIP 3? I'm in a metal band now and I'm 14 and that's pretty much the reason I'm getting a vypyr. I used to have a Marshall MG30CFX which is absoloutely shit for metal. Pardon the language but that's the only word I have to describe it. So would 40 watts and an 12" speaker be enough for small gigs (usually the size of a large room but eventually the size of a smallish PE hall) ID really prefer to get the VIP 2 as its gonna take me another while of annoying and not getting any practice on guitar until I save up another €90 for the VIP 3. Do I need the extra 60 watts? I can always mic up I suppose.. The amp will also be a practice bedroom amp. There's also a guy near me selling a peavey vypyr 75 for €250 second hand but I hear the VIPs are an improvement in tone and I'm probably planning on recording too and I think the VIP is better for that.. So what should I go for the VIP 3, the VIP 2 or the vypyr 75? Don't mention the tube 60 or 6505+ combo because there's no where near me selling those atm.. Basically all I want is a kickass metal tone and I know that the vypyr is my best option. Btw I will be probably upgrading to a larger tube half stack or something in the next few years when I start to earn my own money and move out but I want a good amp to get me started into the whole metal scene..
I think if you were going to buy one of the bigger Vypyrs, I'd look around for the original "Tube 60" model. It's out of production, but here's its page at M'sF so you can check out the reviews and specs: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-vypyr-tube-60-60w-1x12-guitar-combo-amp

If anybody knows more about this amp than I do, (which isn't much), feel free to ring in on the topic.

As for small vs. big amps for practice, that's a complex issue. Small amps w/ 8" speakers can make an ungodly amount of noise, since there's a lot of mid range information. I like the bottom end on amps with 12" speakers.

The issue with volume with big tube amps was, they required a power soak to allow the amp to "clip" (distort), allowing all the harmoniccy goodness to be heard at low volumes. Some newer amps have multiple power settings which allow the amp to "clip" at lower volumes.

The same issue probably isn't as much of an issue with modeling amps, since the "distortion" is built right into the model.

To go back to the Peavey Vypyrs, you have to study the feature set of each model, not only the wattage rating, to know which one is best for you.

Any guitar amp can be a noise problem. Desperate times can mean desperate measures.........like headphones!

I still like amps with 12" speakers. (Just one is plenty, though).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 6, 2016,
I live in Ireland and I can't find anyone or any store selling a tube 60 so I have to rule that out. I was thinking the VIPs support bass and acoustic too which is very handy for me so I might just go with one of the VIPs
If I were going to buy another Vypyr, (I have one each of the littlest ones), I would buy the "Vypyr 2".

It's a 1 x 12" It has 12 string synthesis.. And best of all, with the 12" speaker, it actually should have enough "thud", to do a reasonable impression of a bass amp..

Here's a page about it: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-vypyr-vip-2-40w-1x12-guitar-modeling-combo-amp

It's onlt $200.00 USD over here. Dunno how much they'll soak you for one with the VAT and all that.

Whatever you decide on, best of luck with it!

But no, you absolutely don't want that 2 x 12" jobbie for a bedroom. After you finish a practice session with that, you'd have to re-plaster.....
Yeah I think the VIP 2 is my best option. I've seen a lot of videos and good reviews on it as regards metal and I have enough to buy it so I'd say that's my best bet. I hope it serves me well for the next few years.
Is that loud enough to keep up with a drummer? That's basically what you'll need for jamming or playing gigs.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Is that loud enough to keep up with a drummer? That's basically what you'll need for jamming or playing gigs.
Our TS mentions miking the amp. That could be necessary for gigging. If he has access to the equipment necessary for that, the 1 x 12" model should be all he needs. But yes, you likely wouldn't have to mic a 2 x 12".

The flip side of the coin is a, 2 x 12" amp is so far away from ideal as a practice amp in a bedroom, it's almost surreal....

So, the budget isn't there for 2 amps, what's your call?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 7, 2016,
Quote by Captaincranky
Our TS mentions miking the amp. That could be necessary for gigging. If he has access to the equipment necessary for that, the 1 x 12" model should be all he needs. But yes, you likely wouldn't have to mic a 2 x 12".

The flip side of the coin is a, 2 x 12" amp is so far away from ideal as a practice amp in a bedroom, it's almost surreal....

So, the budget isn't there for 2 amps, what's your call?

Can mic all he wants at a gig, but for jamming & rehearsal? How many people have PAs available for that? Be nice if someone who owns one of the vypyr 2's could chime in and let us know if it can keep up with a metal drummer.

I've owned a 6505 212 (plus mesa 4x12) for living room only playing. And now have a 5153 50w + 2x12 cab, but will be jamming with that rig tho. Overkill? Yep, but
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
...[ ]....I've owned a 6505 212 (plus mesa 4x12) for living room only playing. And now have a 5153 50w + 2x12 cab, but will be jamming with that rig tho. Overkill? Yep, but
Well that depends on your living situation, I suppose. I had an 85 watt Fender Twin Reverb, I used to play in a 14' front 2 bedroom row house. Once upon a time, I didn't care how many enemies I made...Plus, the girl I was playing with complained that, "I played too loud"... I did love the body shot that amp would give you when you lit it all the way up...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 7, 2016,
From a what I've read online the VIP 2 can just about keep up with a very agressive metal drummer and the place I practice at is a youth centre and a few of the guys that work their are sound engineers so micing up at rehearsal may be a possibility.