Page 1 of 4
Syria’s children starve as America looks on
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/empty-stomachs-empty-words/2016/06/06/8b725182-2c06-11e6-b5db-e9bc84a2c8e4_story.html

IT’S BEEN nearly six months since the U.N. Security Council passed a resolution demanding an end to the bombing and shelling of civilian areas in Syria and calling for immediate humanitarian access to besieged areas. It’s been four months since Secretary of State John F. Kerry described the sieges as a “castastrophe” of a dimension unseen since World War II and said that “all parties to the conflict have a duty to facilitate humanitarian access to Syrians in desperate need.”

Three weeks ago, a diplomatic conference on Syria joined by Mr. Kerry issued a statement saying it “insisted on concrete steps to enable the provision of urgent humanitarian deliveries,” and warning that if none were taken, it would support airdrops to besieged towns beginning on June 1.

By Monday, there still had been no food deliveries to Darayya in the Damascus suburbs, the al-Waer district of Homs or several other of the 19 besieged areas, with a population of more than 500,000, identified by the United Nations. Nor had there been airdrops. None have been organized, and U.N. officials say none are likely in the coming days. Another deadline has been blown, another red line crossed — and children in the besieged towns are still starving.

Over the weekend, Russian and Syrian planes heavily bombed civilian areas in rebel-held areas of Aleppo and Idlib. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said 500 civilians, including 105 children, had been killed in 45 consecutive days of bombing in Aleppo. The “cessation of hostilities” negotiated by Mr. Kerry in February, which was never fully observed by Russia and Syria, has been shredded.

And the Obama administration’s response? It is still waiting patiently for the regime of Bashar al-Assad to stop dropping barrel bombs from helicopters on hospitals and allow passage to aid convoys. It is still asking politely for Russia to stop bombing Western-backed rebel units and to compel the Assad regime to follow suit. “We expect the regime to live up to its commitments,” said a State Department statement Monday. “We ask Russia to use its influence to end this inhumane policy.” As for airdrops, “that’s a very complex question,” said a spokeswoman.
Russia will object to the airdrops on the basis of them being lethal munitions to rebels (under their narrative of the US supporting ISIS to control Syria) but really they're just cunts.

And the US won't do much at all cuz there's nothing profitable there. Just budding threats that have yet to manifest. Plus, Cold War Deux.

Oh yeah, plus so long as they publicly ask Russia to play ball and effectively do nothing, they can spend nada and point to Russia's responsibility in obstructing humanitarian aid the state dept wouldn't really care about. Cuz let's be real, if the US wanted to supply aid, they would. It's just expensive and intervention carries little public support.

Russia will counter similarly but fail magnanimously cuz, again, they're cunts who hold sole responsibility for Assad's continued presence (which, if you live under a pro-Putin regime or are otherwise edgy enough to be anti-west about a war you're ignorant of cuz Iraq, might think is a good thing: you're a cunt too)

So this'll be in the news for a while until it's not until it is again and so on. "Syria's children starving" has been a headline since day 1. Bread queues have been targeted and electricity and water supplies cut to areas harboring anti-regime sentiment, in addition to the near continuous bombing and night snipers and checkpoints and mass arrests and surveillance and actual, no shit, 21st century propaganda. So between 2013's news about kids eating twigs and rodents or otherwise dying through cold or starvation or a shabiha massacre or prison, and today's news of the same, what's different other than bombing people who haven't been doing this but have poked the west directly?

And this thread will get to two pages at most, if even past 10 posts
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jun 7, 2016,
I thought it was a kid's PARENTS' job to make sure their kids were fed, not foreigners living thousands of miles away.

Live and learn, I guess.
Quote by TobusRex
I thought it was a kid's PARENTS' job to make sure their kids were fed, not foreigners living thousands of miles away.

Live and learn, I guess.

Is this a joke? I really, really hope this is a joke.

Syrian Civil War: bad parenting.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Don't give Marvel any more ideas.
Horrible. It's no understatement that all "higher powers" are acting shittily in this scenario.

Can't see or come up with a solution for this so the best thing we/I can do is bring awareness to this and help anywhere we can.

Seems these past few months the whole Middle East stuff was frozen (in the minds of us western folks), but I presume it's still as shitty and constant as it was before.
Quote by Banjocal
Don't give Marvel any more ideas.
"But he's my brother!"

"…So was I…"

CivilWar.jpg
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
A horrendous situation with no good solutions...

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Is this a joke? I really, really hope this is a joke.

Good thinking, lol. "Duh...it's a Civil War...parents aren't responsible for their kids' well being anymore". Yup, parents routinely drop all parental duties when a nation goes to war...ESPECIALLY A CIVIL WAR. It's commonly known that ALL American children starved during the Civil War. Same for the Spanish Civil War.

But Tobus, you say, BOTH parents may have been killed. True enough I suppose. In that case I have to wonder...why aren't the other peace loving people in the region....you know the adherents of the "religion of peace"...why aren't they rushing in to take care of the orphans?

Guess I'm being a little hard on you...after all what's a 12 year old know about parental responsibility?
Last edited by TobusRex at Jun 7, 2016,
Quote by TobusRex
Good thinking, lol. "Duh...it's a Civil War...parents aren't responsible for their kids' well being anymore". Yup, parents routinely drop all parental duties when a nation goes to war...ESPECIALLY A CIVIL WAR. It's commonly known that ALL American children starved during the Civil War. Same for the Spanish Civil War.

But Tobus, you say, BOTH parents may have been killed. True enough I suppose. In that case I have to wonder...why aren't the other peace loving people in the region....you know the adherents of the "religion of peace"...why aren't they rushing in to take care of the orphans?

Guess I'm being a little hard on you...after all what's a 12 year old know about parental responsibility?

Oh... oh my.

He serious y'all. THIS DUDE IS SERIOUS. This is the greatest pit morning ever.
Quote by TobusRex

a new low
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by TobusRex

It's completely irresponsible trying to raise a child in a warzone anyway. They should get on the first dinghy across the Med right?
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by BladeSlinger
a new low

Yeah, my bad. It's the USA's responsibility to ensure everyone is fed, their butts are wiped, and they are sent to a warm bed at night. Clearly this is an issue for the American taxpayer to fix.
Quote by RAB11
It's completely irresponsible trying to raise a child in a warzone anyway. They should get on the first dinghy across the Med right?

That's not the point. The point is...how are WE responsible for the kids in Syria and the people of Syria aren't?
Quote by TobusRex
Yeah, my bad. It's the USA's responsibility to ensure everyone is fed, their butts are wiped, and they are sent to a warm bed at night. Clearly this is an issue for the American taxpayer to fix.

I never said it was America's responsibility. It clearly states that the U.N. as a whole has done nothing, and I didn't even address that directly. The fact that you blame the parents for their children starving in a war zone lacking resources for civilians is disgusting
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by TobusRex
That's not the point. The point is...how are WE responsible for the kids in Syria and the people of Syria aren't?

This is not what I meant earlier when I said people ignorant of the situation in Syria have dumpster opinions. This is just ignorant of living in a war as a civilian.

And it's not like you need first hand exp. You just need like... basic thought for more than 5 secs? Let's be generous and say 20 secs.
Quote by TobusRex

Live and learn, I guess.

this is "liberals"
Quote by BladeSlinger
I never said it was America's responsibility. It clearly states that the U.N. as a whole has done nothing, and I didn't even address that directly. The fact that you blame the parents for their children starving in a war zone lacking resources for civilians is disgusting

Parents are not above reproach. As for being in the war zone....whose fault is that? Mine?
Quote by TobusRex
Parents are not above reproach. As for being in the war zone....whose fault is that? Mine?

You don't have to be responsible in order to give a damn
Quote by TobusRex

Parents have nothing to do with it.

There is no food.

Whose fault is it?

The people bombing them

You don't actually have to make this about yourself
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
This is not what I meant earlier when I said people ignorant of the situation in Syria have dumpster opinions. This is just ignorant of living in a war as a civilian.

And it's not like you need first hand exp. You just need like... basic thought for more than 5 secs? Let's be generous and say 20 secs.

Thanks for the lesson. Being a combat veteran I definitely don't have as good a handle on warzones as you do
Last edited by TobusRex at Jun 7, 2016,
Quote by ultimate-slash
You don't have to be responsible in order to give a damn

True enough.
Quote by TobusRex
Thanks for the lesson. Being a combat veteran I definitely don't have as good a handle on warzones as a kid who never served.

smfh what an assumption
Quote by slipknot5678
smfh what an assumption

What assumption? You think I'm assuming Ali never served? I'm not. Ask him yourself.
Quote by TobusRex
What assumption? You think I'm assuming Ali never served? I'm not. Ask him yourself.

We fucking saw the original post, dude
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
We fucking saw the original post, dude

What original post? Are you upset I modded it to be less insulting?
Quote by TobusRex
What original post? Are you upset I modded it to be less insulting?

I'm not upset, although it is rare that you're not condescending, but you made it seem like you didn't say it at all when you clearly did assume that initially, otherwise there's not much reason to include that comment.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I'm not upset, although it is rare that you're not condescending, but you made it seem like you didn't say it at all when you clearly did assume that initially, otherwise there's not much reason to include that comment.

I'm only condescending to people that I perceive to be ignorant people unwilling to accept facts. Republicans, for example. Or inexperienced blowhards talking out their asses about things they don't know. Ali, for example.

Assume WHAT initially? That Ali never served? Well...Ali has never served if his past comments are to be believed. Or assuming that Ali is a kid? That....well, that is an assumption. He (or she) could just as well be a wildly ignorant 65 year old for all I know, I guess. So point for you, I guess, if that is what you are referring to.
Thing is, as far as I know Ali's spent most of his life in the Middle East, so he absolutely has experience 'of living in a war as a civilian,' which was the point he made initially.

Your service gives you an informed viewpoint, absolutely, but being there as a civilian also does.

Me? I'm lucky enough to have had a sheltered upbringing.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by RAB11
Thing is, as far as I know Ali's spent most of his life in the Middle East, so he absolutely has experience 'of living in a war as a civilian,' which was the point he made initially.

Your service gives you an informed viewpoint, absolutely, but being there as a civilian also does.

Me? I'm lucky enough to have had a sheltered upbringing.

Valid point.
Quote by TobusRex
Thanks for the lesson. Being a combat veteran I definitely don't have as good a handle on warzones as you do

If you're comparing resumes here or some shit, don't: no one else in this thread has the first-hand experience. Yet they can see the idiotic logic of blaming Syrian parents for their starving children. Just read about Syria on Wikipedia. For two god damn minutes. No, don't: read the short paragraphs in the OP. They might give you a clue or two.

Quote by TobusRex
Or inexperienced blowhards talking out their asses about things they don't know.

I can't even make fun of this. The irony hurts so bad.

Here, I'll help you out:

Three weeks ago, a diplomatic conference on Syria joined by Mr. Kerry issued a statement saying it “insisted on concrete steps to enable the provision of urgent humanitarian deliveries,” and warning that if none were taken, it would support airdrops to besieged towns beginning on June 1.

By Monday, there still had been no food deliveries to Darayya in the Damascus suburbs, the al-Waer district of Homs or several other of the 19 besieged areas, with a population of more than 500,000, identified by the United Nations. Nor had there been airdrops. None have been organized, and U.N. officials say none are likely in the coming days. Another deadline has been blown, another red line crossed — and children in the besieged towns are still starving.
Quote by TobusRex

Combat vet here as well. 3/8 USMC. Iraq and Afghanistan. All I can add is that I feel even though as vets we may have a better first hand grasp of what warzones are actually like I feel like a can't truly compare my experience to that of a civilians day in and day out. I saw some horrific shit and I also saw some amazing compassion.

I'll be honest. The kids are what really got to me over there.

Syria is brutally fucked up, I imagine worse than I've ever seen.

I feel for the people and the kids.

I agree it's not Americas responsibility. It's a global responsibility. Some bread and water and shelter shouldn't be too much to provide but sadly it's an almost impossible task right now.

I dunno. It's terrible.
Quote by Mad Sweeney
Combat vet here as well. 3/8 USMC. Iraq and Afghanistan. All I can add is that I feel even though as vets we may have a better first hand grasp of what warzones are actually like I feel like a can't truly compare my experience to that of a civilians day in and day out. I saw some horrific shit and I also saw some amazing compassion.

I'll be honest. The kids are what really got to me over there.

Syria is brutally fucked up, I imagine worse than I've ever seen.

I feel for the people and the kids.

I agree it's not Americas responsibility. It's a global responsibility. Some bread and water and shelter shouldn't be too much to provide but sadly it's an almost impossible task right now.

I dunno. It's terrible.

Good points all
You folks that want a US non-intervention policy?

This is what it looks like.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Page 1 of 4