Hi,

I've been trying to practice this song with and without metronome for many time and fail. I used to think that Master of Puppet hard to play but I only practice it for 2-3 hour and the next day I can play it well. But in this case, I can't really play Thunderstruck well at all. At the normal speed, I always miss the note. No matter how hard I practice this one, I always mess up. I use alternative picking style to pick because I prefer it over hammer on and pull off.

I'm actually messing something up. Please help!

Forgive me for my grammar.
As always, start slowly and make sure you are playing it accurately. Most likely the problem is that your hands are not in sync. Just slow it down.

If you can't play something, the best thing to do is to slow it down. This advice applies to everything. That way you'll figure out the problem a lot easier. The next time you can't do something, try to figure it out on your own before posting these threads. If you can't learn to play something, there's something you are doing wrong. And no matter how many times you play it, you'll just repeat that same mistake, unless you figure out what you are doing wrong and try to correct it. This is why it's important to slow it down. Only if you practice something correctly, you will learn to play it.

Also, you can't rely on our advice forever. You need to learn to do it by yourself. If you are having trouble with that, start taking lessons. But to become a good musician, you need to be able to analyze your own playing. You can't rely solely on other people's advice.

Also, practice, practice, practice. You shouldn't expect yourself to be able to play everything instantly. Learning to play takes time. You just need to practice. Of course you need to know what to practice. But it still takes time.

Just because you learn one song easily doesn't mean you will learn another song easily. Different songs are challenging in different ways. Master of Puppets is not Thunderstruck. They are quite different.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jun 7, 2016,
If you want to play it with all alt picking you should focus on just relaxing your finger off the string instead of pulling on it. Pulling on it is for pull offs. That is one thing that messes with alt picking. Even with pull offs you don't have to pull much unless it's acoustic or something and you want some volume.
1) Start slowly, like 60bpm. Set the click to 8ths if you have to, just to get the timing

2) The song is properly played with legato, and it's a good legato workout. I'd suggest working it up both ways.

Important question: is it your left or right hand that's missing the note?

Either way, I'd turn that lick into an etude and work it up very slowly. Watch for tension in the left hand, as that will cause inaccuracy, especially the pinky.
The song is properly played with legato

Nah. The original is alt picked. Angus does sometimes play it with legato to "show off" and most people also learn it that way. But the original is definitely alt picked.

Not saying that you shouldn't learn to play it with legato too.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Maybe you're playing it the wrong way?

To properly play it, you should be picking an open string and then hammering on the 5th fret, then pick the next note just as you release it so you are picking an open note and then hammering on the 7th fret.
^ No. The whole thing is alternate picked. There are no hammer/pull offs.

Also, even if TS was learning it "the wrong way", that's still not a reason not to learn to play it that way. The problem here is that TS's hands are most likely not in sync. And you won't fix that by using hammer/pull offs.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115