Hi.

I have a very obscure guitar, with very limited information on it that I can find. It is not even on Takamine's official website in the archives. It is the Takamine EG-45C. I would really like to know more information about it. All I have been able to figure out was that it has a laminated cedar top with laminated Ovangkol sides, and a Flat Natural finish. The reason I'm asking is that I bought a guitar stand that had the description: "Not for nitrocelluose-finish guitars". And I read up on nit and apparently it can damage the finish if it is nitrocelluose. Anyway, I would like to know more information as well as if I need to buy another stand for it. Thanks!

Tim
a flat / satin finish can be poly or nitrocellulose, and while i've spent time on google searching, i can't find a definitive answer. have you tried contacting takamine?

btw, you could just cover the plastic on the stand with a tshirt to protect the guitar's finish.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I would be very surprised if i is nitro, given its price, but as Patti says, you can always cover the stand. - I've had nitro damaged by the hinge covering on a folding stand, but not by the sleevesg on the bottom supports. - A simple fix for that is to stand the guitar with the strings facing inwards.

You can test nitro by with a tiny spot of nail varnish remover in an inconspicuous spot, eg under the tuning machines. It will attack nitro very quickly, but poly either slowly or not at all.
Quote by patticake
a flat / satin finish can be poly or nitrocellulose, and while i've spent time on google searching, i can't find a definitive answer. have you tried contacting takamine?

btw, you could just cover the plastic on the stand with a tshirt to protect the guitar's finish.

Hello, thanks for the help. And Takamine does not want to be bothered with these kinds of questions. So they make you contact your local distributor, which I did. That is where I got this information.
Couple points here. First, fresh nitro is more susceptible to damage than older fully cured finish. That's because the solvents continue to "flash off" for months.

But sadly, only God knows what chemicals the Chinese are using to make the "rubber" bumpers on their stands. That nonsense could be emitting fumes as well.

I sincerely doubt that an all laminate guitar would be nitro, unless it's very, very old, and MIJ.

Gibson still uses nitro, simply because many players have convinced themselves that nitro sounds better, and won't have any other finish. They do pay dearly for that conceit though.

I think I'd wrap the bumpers with some good old fashioned black cotton fleece and be done with it. You'll barely know it's on there. Keep the guitar in it's case while you're you're not playing it, which would minimize any potential danger, and sleep well.

To answer your original question, a, "flat natural finish", simply means the wood hasn't been stained, and the finish doesn't have a gloss. It has absolutely nothing to do with the type of finishing material involved.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 9, 2016,