So I have a small "home studio project" that I have been doing for about a hear and a half now. I have a good setup with some 8' behringer speakers, 10 input firewire, two external tube mic pre-amps, a good Rhode vocal and Shure instrument mic, and a tone of VSTs through IK multimedia and Native Instruments. I live in the dorms so that makes mixing difficult at some times simply due to the small rooms and thin walls. I recently moved into a different room that is a big bigger and rectangular. When I got my studio stuff set up I immediately noticed a loss of low in when I started listening to stuff. I did some white noise tests and saw that instead of having a relatively flat response, I have a gradual, but steady decline going from high end to low in. I have tried padding down the room with multiple mattress to help eliminate corners and echo, but I still have a tone of high and very little low end. Any advice would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance
This is probably the deepest subject of all, very misunderstood, but perhaps not as prone to religious nuttery as cables and electronics.

If you are noticing a steep dropoff in bass response, you are probably looking at a ton of nodes or anti-nodes that are caused (at the position you swept the room) by a lot of modal clusters being smushed together related to the room size. I suspect that measuring again at just 5 or 6 inches from where you did the first one would have a seriously different look to the results.

You could look at it as having three solutions (not necessarily mutually exclusive) to improving the situation.

1. Knocking down the walls and ceilings to change your room volume (in cubic feet, not db!) for the better, though i suppose your Dean might have something to say about this.

2. Focusing on as much direct sound as possible compared to reflective sound (not so helpful for monitoring as you'd be monitoring so quiet that room noise might play a factor)

3. Removing the nodes (and their bass cancelling anti-nodes) with as much bass trapping as possible, and hopefully made in a way that you can take it with you when you leave.

John Sayer's forum has a lot of info on how to do this as does Ethan Winer