Hey! Need a bit of help finding a new amp.

After the split of my band 2-1 years ago, I had downgraded my rig to a 6505 combo with my favourite pedals on a pedalboard. Purely for bedroom use.

However, I'm toying with the idea of starting a band but I really don't want to have to lug the heavy as hell peavey combo. Does anyone have any suggestions for a high gain 'substitute' head that is somewhat portable so I can take it to practices and use their in-house cabs?

What I've been looking at is the Laney IRT15H or the IRT Studio, so somewhere around £300 is my budget (UK of course).
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback
I'd look for at least 30 watt and up, the Laney would be a good idea if they make slightly bigger amps. I got a Mesa Mini Rectifier for exactly that purpose and it is loud, but probably a bit out of budget for you. Maybe an Orange Tiny or Dark Terror as I think these are a little louder 15 watters than the Laneys.
Quote by diabolical
Maybe an Orange Tiny or Dark Terror as I think these are a little louder 15 watters than the Laneys.

Would the Terrors be able to get close to the 6505 metal sound?
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
What does a Peavey 6505MH go for over there? Used?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by diabolical
Check the Youtube vids, the Orange has its own sound. It can do high gain.

+1

you will not get 5150 tone with an orange. just as you wouldn't get mesa tone out of a marshall. you get it.

however the terrors (i have the dual terror), can get pretty nasty and heavy overdrive.

i like boosting mine with a zendrive, and i can get deathcore tone out of it if i want.

the only downfall of the tiny and dual terror is that they don't have effects loops. but the dark terror does. i haven't had much time on a dark terror though.

they are an absolutely sweet to haul around. they come with a head gig bag/case type of thing, and are nice and light.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Since it seems that you like the tone of your 6505 combo you have and the only issue is portability, why not make a separate head cabinet to house the amp part of your 6505 combo, that way you could use it with the combo speaker at home and when you go to a gig all you have to do is bring the head.

It won't be as light as a Tiny Terror or 6505mh but it will be much lighter and more portable than the full combo, also it is a cheaper solution.
IDK I never understood how a combo could be that hard to lug around, even if it is heavy. A 4X12 yeah plus it can be hard to haul depending on what vehicle you drive so I can see that but a combo?

I have a Mesa Roadster that weighs in at just under 100lbs and I lug it around OK it has removable casters on it. If you like the 6505 but don't like lugging it around consider putting some removable casters.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by guitarsngear
Since it seems that you like the tone of your 6505 combo you have and the only issue is portability, why not make a separate head cabinet to house the amp part of your 6505 combo, that way you could use it with the combo speaker at home and when you go to a gig all you have to do is bring the head.

It won't be as light as a Tiny Terror or 6505mh but it will be much lighter and more portable than the full combo, also it is a cheaper solution.

This. It's a very easy conversion -- I did it. And if you're lazy, you can even just cut the "head" part off the cabinet (after removing the chassis, of course). But I went with a new headshell for mine. The amp itself comes out by removing 3 screws and 4 bolts. By itself, it's not that bad to carry around; probably a good 20 pounds lighter than it is in combo form.

And if you like the tone you have now, wait till you hook it up to a 4 X 12 with good speakers...
Last edited by KailM at Jun 8, 2016,
Just to show you where my brain's been at all morning, this is what I anticipated when I saw the title of this thread, "Somewhat Portable Head:"

Quote by Evilnine
IDK I never understood how a combo could be that hard to lug around, even if it is heavy. A 4X12 yeah plus it can be hard to haul depending on what vehicle you drive so I can see that but a combo?

I have a Mesa Roadster that weighs in at just under 100lbs and I lug it around OK it has removable casters on it. If you like the 6505 but don't like lugging it around consider putting some removable casters.

The place we rehearse has a VERY tight staircase that ascends like 3-4 floors before we get to the rehearsal rooms. It's not heavy, its just more of a pain in the ass to carry. That and car space is an issue

As to everyone else, thanks for the input. I might give the combo to head conversion a go. Anyone got any links to a tutorial of sorts?

Thanks
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Quote by Carl21221
The place we rehearse has a VERY tight staircase that ascends like 3-4 floors before we get to the rehearsal rooms. It's not heavy, its just more of a pain in the ass to carry. That and car space is an issue

Sounds like you need a new rehearsal space instead of a new head
Quote by Carl21221
The place we rehearse has a VERY tight staircase that ascends like 3-4 floors before we get to the rehearsal rooms. It's not heavy, its just more of a pain in the ass to carry. That and car space is an issue, Thanks

OK gotcha I just here a lot of whining about combos being too heavy I understand the space issue though! The amputation of your amp from the speaker is very do-able I have done it in the past and it is worth it to keep your sound.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

You can check youtube or even this forum, lots of people have done the mod. One thing to take note of is that there are two primary ways to complete the mod.

1. make a new head shell out of wood, make it the same dimensions as the upper head portion of the combo then just undo the bolts/screws and move the head into the new box

2 second method is to cut the head portion of the combo off just above the speaker compartment and add a new piece of wood to the bottom of the head

Although method 2 might be slightly faster it also keeps you from selling your amp in original condition later. If you make a new head shell and later you decide to sell the amp, you just move the amp back into the combo housing and its in original condition, you can't do that if you cut the combo up.

Making a head shell is pretty easy, and you don't even have to wrap it in tolex if you don't want.
So I've decided I'm going to convert my current combo into a head. Luckily I work in a joinery (sort of) so I can get it cut and painted easily. Already ordered and extra speaker and an u loaded 2x12.

Thanks for the input everyone !
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT