Reading all over the net bashing threads on SRV. People saying he's overated and copied Hendrix and all this garbage.

How do you think he should have done it? Why is it a bad thing to emulate hendrix? I could see him doing way worse when it comes to emulating guitar players. Everyone does it. His performances were packed with energy just flowing and his total command of the guitar and the way he makes it sing. I don't get it, why dont people just accept it at face value and have to read into shit and critique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p77e2_0fUyo

look at this. Hes giving everything and totally intune with his guitar. I have utmost respect for hendrix, he wasn't a great singer. I think SRV is the better singer. Basically i just believe people need to give props to both and see them as they are innovators. Appreciate what he did. When a guitar player makes you wanna pick up your guitar then i think they are good. Its simple

What do you guys think?
My main thing is funk, but I love a bit of SRV. To be honest, I don't think he copied Hendrix - clearly Jimi was one of his biggest influences, but SRV was a much more straight-up bluesman than Hendrix. His songwriting, while much more simplistic than Hendrix's, was also much more focused; stuff like Electric Ladyland gets very self-indulgent and aimless, while SRV's albums were blazing 12-bar after blazing 12-bar. As singers, I'd probably rate Hendrix over SRV, but I appreciate both.

The main thing I love about SRV is his approach to the actual playing of the guitar - he made an absolutely physical thing of it and as far as I'm concerned his chops were pretty unassailable among blues players, because he didn't just do impressive runs, he did impressive runs with a big, inefficient picking action that gave everything a very literal and very impressive energy, even on the studio records. He's one of about three white blues players who I think really got it.

Great player, awful dresser.
agreed about the physical thing. Thats the part i like to sliding and dancing basically while playing, even his guitar parts make you wanna dance.
people who say Stevie isn't good or is overrated don't know the blues. I wouldn't worry about it. Stevie is one of the best ever, that's all there is to it.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
stuff like Electric Ladyland gets very self-indulgent and aimless

also fuck this shit
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Last edited by romencer17 at Jun 8, 2016,
Quote by romencer17
also fuck this shit

Don't get me wrong, I think the playing and the ideas are fantastic, but it goes between extended jams and snippets; there's little evidence of much planning going into it. The earlier albums are more consistent in song length but still rather lacking in cohesion. Look at Stevie Ray's stuff and you've got a bunch of pretty conventionally structured songs that are about 5 minutes long, an uptempo opening track on each album, maybe a slow blues number in there and/or a jazzy instrumental. Quite simply, Hendrix's work was much more experimental, and there were plenty of moments in that process which weren't destined for the easy listening charts. Stevie's stuff was relatively conservative and very focused.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Quite simply, Hendrix's work was much more experimental, and there were plenty of moments in that process which weren't destined for the easy listening charts. Stevie's stuff was relatively conservative and very focused.

I agree with this, but I'm not sure something being experimental and less accessible = self-indulgent and aimless. But otherwise I think we agree. Stevie was trying to make a blues record as best he could - and damn he was good. By Electric Ladyland, Hendrix had the studio to himself and as much time as he wanted to make his album, so he was able to experiment to his heart's desire and try all sorts of cool stuff. He wasn't trying to make a normal blues or rock album, and he obviously didn't.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Yeah it seems this kind of music is so unduly not popular or not made much anymore. Sad that people wanna listen to all the bullshit on the radio. Its garbage, and i know at one point blues was the norm. You just dont feel the music anymore. You just hear a beat and a catchy hook, no real emotion. You wanna hear musicians who actually give a fuck about getting good at their instrument and love what they do. Because when they do the music is so much better.

I just love how they are jamming out and moving and dancing like they love what the fuck their doing. Passion, where the fuck did it go?

And stevies hat, i would wear it
Quote by guygroomes85
Yeah it seems this kind of music is so unduly not popular or not made much anymore. Sad that people wanna listen to all the bullshit on the radio. Its garbage, and i know at one point blues was the norm. You just dont feel the music anymore. You just hear a beat and a catchy hook, no real emotion. You wanna hear musicians who actually give a fuck about getting good at their instrument and love what they do. Because when they do the music is so much better.

I just love how they are jamming out and moving and dancing like they love what the fuck their doing. Passion, where the fuck did it go?

Disagree, I love a lot of chart music too, but different strokes for different folks.

Besides, a lot of '80s music was awful too, Stevie was going completely against the grain by bringing blues back into the mainstream.

Quote by guygroomes85
And stevies hat, i would wear it

The gambler hats were great, to be sure
People say whatever people say, and making direct comparisons between major artists always seems a bit foolish. Some get it and some don't. I am a huge SRV fan and just absorbed his stuff from the first solos he played on "China Girl" and "Let's Dance" with Bowie.

This guy played every show like it was his last and the audience responded with dropped jaws. With SRV it was never so much about the notes or technique, but the musical connection with others was everything. Watch "SRV live at El Mocambo" from 1983. If you still don't get it, you probably never will. His music is definitely not for everyone.

Play on Stevie!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
can't say I've heard much negative on SRV. yes he did wear his Hendrix influence on his sleeve occasionally but since he does it justice who cares. was lucky enough to have seen SRV in 1988 and he put on a hell of a show.
Agreed, and i really like that video. That guys got some serious chops.
I meen to say that i notice a few different trends. One being that its either chart music which is pretty much money making wanking. Some of it sounds good. Or its this avante guard stuff that goes over peoples/twelve piece bands/all the new folk style bands/ heads and doesn't sound good.

And at the end of the day if it sounds good it is good. It seems to me everyone could agree stevie sounds good. Couldn't figure out why people would trash him, just a google search brought up several boards where people were saying negative things.

Question is, whos still doing blues that isn't john mayer?
Quote by guygroomes85

Question is, whos still doing blues that isn't john mayer?

Lotsa folks:

Buddy Guy is still out there tearing it up. If you have never heard his brand of Chicago Blues, he is worth the ticket price. Joe Bonamassa may be the headliner these days, not my favorite Blues player but he's got major chops and gets in front of major shows. Kenny Wayne Shepard can cut the Blues, Robben Ford (a personal favorite) is playing all over the world to mixed Blues/Jazz audiences. Clapton still fills 8000 seat venues but may be about ready to hang it up. Derek Trucks- killer slide guitar.

Time to get out and see a few shows.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY