Page 1 of 2
Hey folks

Long story short, I love guitars and I love gear so I tend to chase a lot of them in my quest to find tones that I really dig. I like a wide range of music so I need a wide range of tones to mess around with. Some tones I'm more picky about obviously but for the most part I felt covered with the Rectoverb I picked up last year. Unfortunately, a lot of my favorite guitar tones are on the lower gain and classic rock spectrum and the Rectoverb just didn't fit the bill. I kept myself satisfied for a while running a Zvex Distortron in front but the itch to get something more suited for lower gain tones hit me and I was on the hunt again.

I considered a few different options. Initially I was just going to build an 18 watt Marshall kit but with the exchange rate the way it is, I didn't really want to order anything from across the border. That brings me to this ugly black box:

Yes, that is a Crate and a pretty cool one to boot. It's a 90s Vintage Club 30. It was listed on my local classifieds for a bit and 270 USD later it was in my hands. For those of you unfamiliar with the Vintage Club series, it was Crate's attempt at doing a British style tone on a budget. They're supposed to sound really good but the caveat is that the components are pretty cheap and I believe they can run into overheating issues. They were originally made in the USA and then I think they moved construction over to China and changed the name of the series to the Palomino or something similar to that. The one I picked up is an MIA model and is in pretty good condition considering the age of it.

The amp is a 2 channel amp with independent EQ and Reverb controls for each channel (with the option to use a footswitch). Clean channel has a volume, treble and bass control and the Drive channel has a volume, TMB and gain control. 30 watts, 4x 12AX7 tubes, 4x EL84 power tubes and a single 12" speaker. The amp also features an effects loop but you need a Y cable to use it as it only has a single input. The amp also has a Marshall inspired top panel and also uses Marshall style knobs to complete the look. Size wise, the amp is a bit smaller than other combos I have owned BUT it's heavy as a pig. Heavier than I was expecting anyways

Now for the important part, the tones! Tone wise, I was actually really surprised with how good the amp sounds. The clean channel has a nice girth to it but still has a bit of a jangle. The drive channel sounds pretty good to me. With the gain dialed back and the volume dialed up a bit, you can get some really nice classic brit blues tones. Using the neck pickup on my LP, I could get really nice lead tones without getting into muddy territory. Once you start dialing the gain up, the amp starts to get a nice bit of chunk that sounds great for heavy chords and leads. It definitely has a British flavor to it. Classic rock/blues and even pushed tones sound pretty authentic all things considered.

TL;DR: Crate Vintage Club 30. 30 watts, tube, British tones. It's pretty awesome.

Anywho, I'm pretty happy with it. I think I'll be keeping it for a little bit. Here's a quick little riff to show off some of the tones:

Clean:

https://soundcloud.com/guitarbytes/crate-vc30-clean

Crunchy Chords:

https://soundcloud.com/guitarbytes/crate-vintage-club-30

Lead:

https://soundcloud.com/guitarbytes/crate-vc30-lead-neck-pickup

'Til next time!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jun 11, 2016,
Quote by Ippon
Congrats! Marshally.

Thanks Ippon. I think I'm gonna try running the Boogie and the Crate in stereo and see what kind of crazy sounds I can get

It's Marshall-y for sure. Right up my alley
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats

Thanks.

Quote by nico_9550
sounds very nice, congrats

Thanks. I'm happy with how it sounds. Gonna have to get a cable so I can try the loop though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
That's how they ship them
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
It sounds great. I remember hearing that crates were a decent amp for the money back around that time but never played one. At that price, you almost feel compelled to buy it so you don't lose money on the deal.
HNAd
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
HNAd

Thanks Cath

Quote by MAChiefs
It sounds great. I remember hearing that crates were a decent amp for the money back around that time but never played one. At that price, you almost feel compelled to buy it so you don't lose money on the deal.

Thanks and yeah. It was a pretty good deal so I thought why the hell not? I mean it's still the honeymoon period but I think it sounds great
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
nice. never tried one of those but I've heard good things. not really the same as the Palamino series. I had a V32 and it really didn't sound to marshally.
Quote by monwobobbo
nice. never tried one of those but I've heard good things. not really the same as the Palamino series. I had a V32 and it really didn't sound to marshally.

Thanks for the info. I figured they were the same but now that I've checked it out a bit it seems like there are a few differences.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
What speaker is in it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
What speaker is in it?

It's the stock Crate one. From what I understand they're supposed to be a V30 style speaker but I'm not too sure if I'm honest.

If I swap it in the future I might try a WGS veteran 30. Ithanks might be a bit of an improvement.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Or just buy a used V30 maybe?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Or just buy a used V30 maybe?

Yeah that's an option too. They pop up pretty often around here so I will be keeping an eye out.

The only bad thing is im sure the weight is gonna go up once I get it in there. When I put one in my Excelsior it almost felt like I doubled the weight of the thing
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Buy a trolley.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Buy a trolley.

I was thinking casters
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
trolley > casters
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Nice! I've got the VC50(GT500H) head (same Y cord effects loop) and I'm pretty fond of it as well. Underrated and value priced!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Congrats bro.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
congratulations! nom nom nom.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
that sounds awesome great score

if you're after the more classic tones maybe a more vintage-sounding speaker than a v30? (needs to be able to handle 30 watts, though.) that being said, if you like what's in there already and it's a cheapo clone of a v30, maybe a v30 would sound just fine.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that sounds awesome great score

if you're after the more classic tones maybe a more vintage-sounding speaker than a v30? (needs to be able to handle 30 watts, though.) that being said, if you like what's in there already and it's a cheapo clone of a v30, maybe a v30 would sound just fine.

Thanks Dave. I think it sounds pretty sweet as well

I wouldn't mind trying something like a greenback in it but it would have to be a high power variant because the amp is 30 watts.

Quote by Grawgos
Very nice. But you made me feel old by calling something from the 90's vintage.

If it makes you feel better I wasn't calling the amp vintage because of its age. The amp is actually called a Vintage Club

Quote by trashedlostfdup
congratulations! nom nom nom.

Thanks thrash. It is quite nommy indeed

Quote by romeozdistress
Congrats bro.

Thanks man!

Quote by Arby911
Nice! I've got the VC50(GT500H) head (same Y cord effects loop) and I'm pretty fond of it as well. Underrated and value priced!

Thanks and yeah I'm just hoping it works cause the loop was the only thing I couldn't try out
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Sweet my brother has that amp and he loves it he swapped the speaker for a V30 and has never looked back. After I bought my Mesa Dual Rec Roadster he wa inspired to install removable casters on his Crate!

HNAD Rock on!

FWIW I dont find it to be ugly at all
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
Sweet my brother has that amp and he loves it he swapped the speaker for a V30 and has never looked back. After I bought my Mesa Dual Rec Roadster he wa inspired to install removable casters on his Crate!

HNAD Rock on!

FWIW I dont find it to be ugly at all

Nice! I knew the casters were a good idea

Yeah its not really ugly. It's just a little on the bland side. I had uglier amps (like the Excelsior) that's for sure.

Thanks.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Very cool. The MIA tube Crates are a great bargain. Looks like that one is in excellent shape!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain at #34001550
Very cool. The MIA tube Crates are a great bargain. Looks like that one is in excellent shape!

Yeah it was a good price so I figured I'd just take the risk. I might take some time in the summer to make a custom cabinet with some vents that will let a bit more air in to deal with the overheating problems the VC series has. Hopefully I can make a lighter and more stylish cabinet as well. I'd go with a Bluesbreaker look.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
That'd be tits dude. As silly and superficial as it sounds, I often want a Class 5 just because they look so damn snazzy, the old-school Marshall look does make me feel some kind of way.
great little 30 watter right there. that should handle your low grit needs and then some!

my old vintage club pulled off a nice RR tone.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
great little 30 watter right there. that should handle your low grit needs and then some!

my old vintage club pulled off a nice RR tone.

It really is. I haven't tried to get some RR tones but when I get home I'll try to do some Ratt for old time's sake.

Quote by dementiacaptain
That'd be tits dude. As silly and superficial as it sounds, I often want a Class 5 just because they look so damn snazzy, the old-school Marshall look does make me feel some kind of way.

For sure. I'm a sucker for that style of cab
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I wouldn't mind trying something like a greenback in it but it would have to be a high power variant because the amp is 30 watts.

See if you can find a Splawn Small Block. 55w

Quote by Grawgos
Very nice. But you made me feel old by calling something from the 90's vintage.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
See if you can find a Splawn Small Block. 55w

How are those? Never heard of them myself.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
How are those? Never heard of them myself.

Like a Greenback but a bit more modern, very nice. About the best speaker for general rock tones that you can get IMO
Nice. I'll keep an eye out for them. Either way I'm gonna start planning a cab for it. Might make it out of pine and hope it will be lighter than the current one. Don't know if I'll just finish the wood or cover it in tolex
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
either is pretty easy to do. do you prefer working with staples and glue or sanders and spray?

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Well I don't really know what I prefer because I've only worked on wood. I've never had to tolex something.

I mean, the tolex would probably look more authentic but just chucking a finish on it might be a bit easier I'm thinking.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Thanks Dave. I think it sounds pretty sweet as well

yeah the trouble with a lot of the vintage-voiced speakers is they're generally fairly low wattage. not a massive problem if you're using a head, but more of a problem if you have a 1x12 combo. a g12h30 would be just about ok, depending on how much risk you're willing to take on. Or as you said, there are higher wattage versions of the greenback and g12h30, both from celestion and other manufacturers. I dunno how close they get, though, I haven't tried the creambacks yet. i like the eminence gb128 but it doesn't sound exactly like a greenback either.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
when I get home I'll try to do some Ratt for old time's sake.

yay
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 9, 2016,
Page 1 of 2