My late grandfather left me this beautiful acoustic guitar. And I'm trying to find out more about the guitar he gave me. Specifically it's age, but hopefully get some history behind it to. Here are some pictures:

So what can you guys tell me about this guitar?
Last edited by 4xdblack at Jun 8, 2016,
Ovations are not affiliated with Gibson. They were originally made by Kaman. In 2008 the company was purchased by Fender.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
First off, they aren't related to Gibson. Here's some background info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ovation_Guitar_Company

According to the serial number, it was made in 1972:

http://www.ovationtribute.com/Date%20your%20Ovation.html

From the look, I'm guessing it is a Balladeer.

Enjoy!
Quote by Rickholly74
Ovations are not affiliated with Gibson. They were originally made by Kaman. In 2008 the company was purchased by Fender.

hmmm weird... I could have sworn it was a Gibson... Not sure how I got that idea though.
Quote by 4xdblack
hmmm weird... I could have sworn it was a Gibson... Not sure how I got that idea though.
If you could call Ovations anything with "Gibson" in the name, it would have to be, "the Anti-Gibson", or maybe, "the Anti-Martin" as well.

Doesn't that beast have a strap button on the upper bout, so you don't have to tie the strap to the head stock?

Can you see the strap button on this "O"?

There used to be a blind nut pressed into the bowl for it to screw into.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 9, 2016,
Quote by Captaincranky
If you could call Ovations anything with "Gibson" in the name, it would have to be, "the Anti-Gibson", or maybe, "the Anti-Martin" as well.

Doesn't that beast have a strap button on the upper bout, so you don't have to tie the strap to the head stock?

There used to be a blind nut pressed into the bowl for it to screw into.

Sadly no... I've checked. There is no where for a button to go. Is it possible to have one installed?
Quote by 4xdblack
Sadly no... I've checked. There is no where for a button to go. Is it possible to have one installed?
You could ask a tech who is familiar with Ovation if he or she has the parts, and how much it would cost.

Judging by the serial number, that's a very early guitar. Any "O" I've ever seen has that top strap button, even a "Matrix" 12 string I bought around 1978....

Fitting the button would require drilling the proper size hole in the bowl, and most likely a special type of tool to press the blind nut in and lock it. I don't think the bowls are modded around the mount point,(IE reinforced or thicker), but it wouldn't hurt to ask someone in the know.

Many straps still come with that extra lace for just that purpose. Tying the strap at the head stock gives the whole affair a "hootenanny" kind of feel.

Lotsa Martin owners would have a heart attack if you suggested they drill their guitar for a strap button. So you're in sort of good company, although some Martin owners can be a trifle stuffy.

Best of luck with that old girl....