Where are these models made nowadays:

Jackson DK2 Pro (various colors, hardtail and double locking trem versions)

Charvel pro mod so cal style 1 (HH, floyd rose)

PRS SE Standard series?

I was under the impression that the Jackson Pros and the Charvels were made in Japan, but I've also read thay they could be made in Mexico?

As for PRS, I know the SE series is made in Korea, but what about the more recent SE Standard?

Could anyone clarify?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
I'm pretty sure that all of these are MIK the Jackson might be indo
*edit* SE standard are made in indo
Last edited by joseph24 at Jun 9, 2016,
I'm pretty sure that DK2's are made in Mexico, in Fender's factory.

Edit: I assume that you're asking about the new ones, the ones with offset dot inlays, not the previous version with sharkies.
Last edited by tsc86 at Jun 9, 2016,
The Charvels are built in Mexico.

I believe the Jackson DK2 Pro series stuff is also now built in Mexico. I haven't played one to see how they compare to the MIJ one that I have.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Jackson/Charvel hasn't build stuff in Japan for years. The models you refer to are made in Mexico at Fender's own plant. Those PRS models are made in Indonesia by Wildwood.
Quote by FlightofIcarus
The Charvels are built in Mexico.

I believe the Jackson DK2 Pro series stuff is also now built in Mexico. I haven't played one to see how they compare to the MIJ one that I have.

Is that a recent change? My 2014(I think, it might be 15) Pro Soloist is Indonesian.
Quote by slapsymcdougal at #34001607
Is that a recent change? My 2014(I think, it might be 15) Pro Soloist is Indonesian.

Could me. My RRXMG is MII as well.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Jackson and Charvel are both Mexican. For Jackson stuff, only the Pro series Dinkys are made in Mexico. Everything else is Indonesian or Chinese depending on the line.

PRS SE Standards are Indonesian.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Hmm. OK.

The Jacksons and Charvels are in the 800-1000 Euro range, and I would expect them to cost much less. Several years ago you could get a MIJ Ibanez Prestige for that kind of money. Hell, I bought an RG1570 new for less than 700 (Euros) in 2011.

As for PRS, the MIK models have increased in price dramatically, while the MII models now cost as much as the MIK ones used to cost, not 2 years ago.

Worst of all, the habit of specifying the place of manufacure on the headstock seems to have almost been lost, you have to deduce where a guitar was made from the serial no.

So, overall, that is quite disappointing.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Charvel names the country of manufacture on the neck plate.

Jacksons either have it engraved on the back of the headstock or a on sticker.

PRS is the most transparent. They have a whole paragraph printed on the back of the headstock specifying not only country but the name of the actual company that makes guitars for them.
Up until 2011, Jackson built the JS series in India at Harmony Musical Instruments. The X series, Pro and MG series were built in Japan at Chushin Gakki. Chushin Gakki shut down around then and those series disappeared for a little while.

When the X series returned it was built at HMI in India along with the JS models. After a little while (2 or 3 years ago?) new JS models started showing up with Made in China stickers, and newer X series models with Made in Indonesia. They've gradually phased out India since.

When the Pro series came back, the bolt-on guitars were built at FMIC Mexico (i.e. the Dinkys - the old pro series had bolt-on versions of most of the body shapes, the new pro series only uses bolt on for the Dinky). The neck-throughs are built in Indonesia. I read that they apparently planned to move them to Mexico, but the factory wasn't set up for neck-through production and I haven't heard anything more of it since.

You can generally figure out the country of origin of the current models from the serial number. A combination of personal experience and things I've learned from very knowledgeable folks over at JCF -

CWJ - China, Wildwood (Most JS, I think some X series. Might be more Chinese factories, I'm not sure. Charvel Desolations were Chinese while they were around)
IWJ - Indonesia, Wildwood (I think this one has been phased out)
ICJ - Indonesia, Cort (some JS, X series, Pro Monarkhs)
ISJ - Indonesia, Samick (most neck-through Pros)
MXJ - Mexico, FMIC (Pro series Dinkies. Charvel Pro-mods - I guess these might be MXC serials for Charvel?)

Anyhow, a lot of guitarists seem to care far too much about country of manufacture than they should. It depends entirely on the quality of materials and hardware, the time spent on the instrument and the level of quality control. You can get great guitars or dodgy guitars from any country. Certain countries tend to build cheaper instruments because they have cheaper labour rates, and the manufacturers use cheap hardware and limited time to produce budget gear. But there's no reason a country with cheap labour can't use good materials and a reasonable amount of time to make a decent instrument. Some of those factories building these mid-range models can build some quality stuff when they want to.

I think the labour costs were the reason that Jackson/Charvel pulled out of Japan. Chushin Gakki were building the guitars on a deal that was really favourable to JCMI (with very tight profit margins for the factory), probably because of the history those two had together, and even then JCMI could get much better prices going elsewhere. The fact that they were struggling even with the JCMI business means it's not surprising that the factory shut down when JCMI pulled out.
I think you're worrying a bit too much about the country of manufacture and not enough on the quality of the guitars themselves.

Guitars are made in eastern countries to keep costs down but guitars aren't built shitty just because they're made in China. Correlation doesn't lead to causation.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE at #34001847
I think you're worrying a bit too much about the country of manufacture and not enough on the quality of the guitars themselves.

Guitars are made in eastern countries to keep costs down but guitars aren't built shitty just because they're made in China. Correlation doesn't lead to causation.

For sure. You can have a decent made guitar from anywhere.

Regarding prices going up, it's not just with cheaper guitars either. I mean, if I could compare what a Historic costed 5 years ago to what they cost now, I'd be laughing. Prices have gone up and it's not just the MIJ guitars that are feeling it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
True. I've got Indonesian and Chinese guitars, and the worst thing I'd say about any of them is that just maybe, my S770 could do with some fret ends being smoothed off. Other than that, the workmanship on them all is great.
My Charvel Desolation was made and China. Couldn't care less though, it is an amazing guitar that could have been made in Antarctica by pink dyslexic penguins, and I would still love it.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

If there is correlation, though, it's still probably worth keeping in mind.

It's his money and if he should spend it how he sees fit. If he thinks MIJ is better (for whatever reason- I agree that the cheaper/crappier stuff is generally built in certain places because of lower wages, lower costs etc. rather than because a certain country can't make the thing, but at the same time the end result is the same), that's his prerogative.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The way I see it is that generally speaking quality of most eastern-manufactured guitars has gone up in the past few years. There was a time when I wouldn't dream of buying an Indonesian guitar, but now the Ibanez Premium series and EBMM's Sterling line has tempted me.

As has been said, what really matters is the QC applied on a line-by-line basis. There are already many high-end guitar manufacturers in countries that used to specialize in cheap junkers.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.