I got a LP studio with the slim tapered neck! Plays great, but sounds a bit meh. The 490 neck is muddy and has little dynamics. The 498 bridge is better but doesn't blow me away. Kind of lifeless.

I'd like a pickup combo that sounds distinctively like a les paul. Like that classic marshall and lp crunch tone. I also play a lot of lead, but I want a nice clean neck sound too.

Thinking about the pearly gates. Considered the seth lover in neck and pg in bridge, though maybe the lovers can't handle overdriven lead like paul gilbert stuff.

I looked at the Dimario paf offerings, but from YouTube vids the sd pickups generally sounded more like that LP and marshall sound I have in mind. I'm up for other brands.

What do you guys think? Thank you
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Give some thought to a Suhr Aldrich pickup for the bridge.

I actually prefer a single coil-size humbucker for the neck position.
Right now, I use Bias FX and studio monitors. Someday may get a tube amp but it's too loud for my situation now.
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Quote by dspellman
Give some thought to a Suhr Aldrich pickup for the bridge.

I actually prefer a single coil-size humbucker for the neck position.

I'll look into the Suhr. For the single coil-size..maybe not for my les paul
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
i could be wrong but I think gilbert normally uses pretty low output pickups. so if that's the only heavier/shreddier stuff you're worried about you should probably be ok.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i could be wrong but I think gilbert normally uses pretty low output pickups. so if that's the only heavier/shreddier stuff you're worried about you should probably be ok.

He uses dimarzio paf masters and before were paf pro's. I like his tone but other people's vids with them on youtube are so-so. The duncans tend to sound more textured to me.

Would the Slash AP2's have an edge on pearly gates for soloing? I believe their output is similar, but maybe the AP2s would have a quicker attack
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Last edited by 21GunSalute at Jun 10, 2016,
Quote by 21GunSalute
He uses dimarzio paf masters and before were paf pro's. I like his tone but other people's vids with them on youtube are so-so. The duncans tend to sound more textured to me.

Would the Slash AP2's have an edge on pearly gates for soloing? I believe their output is similar, but maybe the AP2s would have a quicker attack

They both use Alnico 2 magnets so the attack is similar, the Pearly Gates have a bit more life and a bit of top end sizzle that the AP2s are lacking though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Cool. Then PG over AP2s for me. How about Seth Lovers? Keep reading they are very good - but I wonder if they are too weak. I don't need to play metal, but I want a good overdriven tone for hard rock.
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Quote by 21GunSalute
For the single coil-size..maybe not for my les paul

Until about 2009, I would have said the same thing. In 2009, however, I wandered into Gary Brawer's shop in San Francisco asking about Sustainers. As it turned out, he had one of Neal Schon's guitars in the back (it was in for a refret and PLEK, and was being delivered to Neal that evening at Shoreline where Journey was doing a gig).

Schon's guitars have Sustainers and have been set up so that the neck pickup ring shares a single coil size sustainer driver with a DiMarzio Fast Track II single-coil-size 18K humbucker. That's huge power for a neck position pickup, but what struck me was the clarity. Turns out that the reduced size actually eliminates a lot of the mud that most LPs exhibit from neck position pickups. You need to hear something like this to understand it. Neal uses that neck pickup for lead *and* rhythm stuff. Maybe not this time, but keep that in the back of your head in case you want to try something different...
Quote by 21GunSalute

yeah i like paf pros but even though they're low output they have a bit of a modern sheen to them (for want of a better term... a bit more hi-fi-sounding, I guess) that i'm not sure is what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dspellman
Until about 2009, I would have said the same thing. In 2009, however, I wandered into Gary Brawer's shop in San Francisco asking about Sustainers. As it turned out, he had one of Neal Schon's guitars in the back (it was in for a refret and PLEK, and was being delivered to Neal that evening at Shoreline where Journey was doing a gig).

Schon's guitars have Sustainers and have been set up so that the neck pickup ring shares a single coil size sustainer driver with a DiMarzio Fast Track II single-coil-size 18K humbucker. That's huge power for a neck position pickup, but what struck me was the clarity. Turns out that the reduced size actually eliminates a lot of the mud that most LPs exhibit from neck position pickups. You need to hear something like this to understand it. Neal uses that neck pickup for lead *and* rhythm stuff. Maybe not this time, but keep that in the back of your head in case you want to try something different...

It's definitely good info. I guess for this new LP I bought it to get that classic LP sound, so I'm kinda looking not to do anything too different. In the future I may end up with another guitar where I do that.
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Alright just ordered the Pearly Gates set on ebay. Looking forward to trying them out!
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
So..my LP has the coil splits. Sounds pretty lame splitting the stock pickups. Would you guys recommend wiring the pearly gates in to tap in parallel or is spliiting (easier to wire up anyway) going to be about the same as parallel anyway?
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
I like split coils in an HSS or HSH setup for those in-between stratty tones, but for HH I think a parallel/series toggle is much more useful.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by 21GunSalute
So..my LP has the coil splits. Sounds pretty lame splitting the stock pickups. Would you guys recommend wiring the pearly gates in to tap in parallel or is spliiting (easier to wire up anyway) going to be about the same as parallel anyway?

1. You'll find the greatest difference is between serial and single coil. But I have guitars that have all three. The '80's Ibanez AR300, for example, has two three-way miniswitches that select serial/parallel/single coil. If you don't want to drill holes for miniswitches (I much prefer them to push-pulls), you could look into the Seymour Duncan Triple Shot pickup rings, which have switching built in that would handle this.

2. Coil splitting has become mostly a marketing bullet point for guitar manufacturers and most guitarists don't understand how to handle it. First, the best pickups to split are fairly hot (one of my favorites is a 13K Carvin M22SD) to begin with, so that the single coil has some punch. Second, the best way to handle the single coil that results is to set the amp specifically for the single coil setup, not to set up the amp for a humbucker and then complain about the quieter single coil sound.

You need to understand that the higher the output of the humbucker, the more likely you are to like the single coil after the split.
Quote by 21GunSalute
Right now, I use Bias FX and studio monitors. Someday may get a tube amp but it's too loud for my situation now.

You've already ordered the replacement pickups, but that may have been premature.
The 490/498 pair has rarely been described as lacking in dynamics and lifeless, which is why the very next post was, "What amp are you using?"
Your sound is largely dependent on those studio monitors (and on Bias FX). I have a pair of KRK Rokit 8 monitors (largely for my keyboards, but occasionally used for modeled guitar), and consider those sort of minimal, even for low-volume work. What are you using?
Go with a series parallel setup over coil splitting. You are still humbucking in parallel and they sound better than split. Splitting a humbucker usually results in a weak single coil. Which makes sense a PAF style humbucker is 8k so split would be 4k. A weakish strat pickup is 5.5k.