Page 1 of 2
So, got an intrest in getting an explorer shaped guitar. So many options and the stores in my country don't sell them, so I can't go and just try them out, here I ask for you help fellow players!

the ones that caught my eye were as follows:

Jackson Kelly
Epiphone gothic explorer
LTD EX-(enter number here)
Dean Mustaine signature "angel of Deth"
LTD EXP discontinued model, seen on reverb.com

I personally preffer the 25.5 scale, but enough persuasion will get me to get a 24.75 one
Please let me know your thoughts on these and if you have anything else do reccomend, please do so!

Cheers!
The best one is the one that plays the best for you.

All of those guitars are vastly different. You can't compare them. If you need the longer scale length the you are stuck with the Dean and the Jackson cause the rest of them are 24.75".

You haven't even told us the kind of music you play, your budget, location and other things that we need to actually be able to suggest you something decent. We don't know if you like higher gain stuff, or if you prefer low gain tones, what kind of neck profiles you like etc... Your question is too vague.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I like them all.
The EX is a little pointy, so it's very easy to ding the paint on the corners and chip it off.
The standard Gibson shape is cool, but a little big.
I have a set neck EXP and absolutely love it. It's slightly smaller than a proper gibson.
If you buy the higher end Mustaine signature, with the set neck, the fretboard will be pretty flat. He uses a "D" profile on his guitars. Note, the bolt neck will be a standard dean neck.
I would encourage you to play all of them and see which you like best, if you can.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The best one is the one that plays the best for you.

All of those guitars are vastly different. You can't compare them. If you need the longer scale length the you are stuck with the Dean and the Jackson cause the rest of them are 24.75".

You haven't even told us the kind of music you play, your budget, location and other things that we need to actually be able to suggest you something decent. We don't know if you like higher gain stuff, or if you prefer low gain tones, what kind of neck profiles you like etc... Your question is too vague.

Sorry for leaving it too vauge, a little more detail.

budget is 500€. That shape kind of calls for a very small list of genres . But Heavy/Power metal. My only instrument is a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 right now. Main reason for getting another one, is that I don't have to retune as often, from E standard to D standard.

Neck profile, well, thats whats on the schecter, a little thicker than a fender, a little slimmer than gibson vintages or standards. Something similar to a 1993 Gibson studio.
As for the pickups, doesnt matter that much, as these types of guitars usually are already fitted for metal.

I'm asking this, cause I don't know the build qualities onthese brands, as the only one I could get my hands on is the Epiphone one. I live in Estonia and would order fro meither Reverb or thomann.

Thank you for the amazingly fast reply though
Last edited by ColonelCrazy at Jun 9, 2016,
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No mention of a Destroyer. I am disappoint.

I know do of it and it looks very sexy, only the problem is, I've never seen it sold anywhere, where I could actually order it from, if you could guide towards any place in Europe with reasonabel shipping prices that sells it, it would be most generous of you
Well, you mentioned Thomann, and they do have the 520, but apparently only in cherry sunburst, and a bit over your budget, too. If you could find a used one(a long shot, I know), it would probably be a decent bit under.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Well, you mentioned Thomann, and they do have the 520, but apparently only in cherry sunburst, and a bit over your budget, too. If you could find a used one(a long shot, I know), it would probably be a decent bit under.

Ibanez DT520FM-CRS is the one and only model I found on thomann, and that one is priced at 735€ :S. And I have never seen one in my country anywhere, so used is indeed, a longshot
Quote by ColonelCrazy

the ones that caught my eye were as follows:

Jackson Kelly
Epiphone gothic explorer
LTD EX-(enter number here)
Dean Mustaine signature "angel of Deth"
LTD EXP discontinued model, seen on reverb.com

Be aware that these CAN be a bit neck heavy due to the position of the upper strap button. Sometimes you can find a "reversed" explorer that's a bit better in that regard.

Here's one I built from parts off eBay (the body/neck were Warmoth bits):

This one is from Carvin (the V220). This one is current (and neck-through, with a 25" scale and a "tilted pointy" headstock) built of koa:

And this is its 80's predecessor with an arrowhead "V" style headstock and a 24.75" scale, built of solid maple:

Quote by dspellman
Be aware that these CAN be a bit neck heavy due to the position of the upper strap button. Sometimes you can find a "reversed" explorer that's a bit better in that regard.

Here's one I built from parts off eBay (the body/neck were Warmoth bits):

This one is from Carvin (the V220). This one is current (and neck-through, with a 25" scale and a "tilted pointy" headstock) built of koa:

And this is its 80's predecessor with an arrowhead "V" style headstock and a 24.75" scale, built of solid maple:

The neck heavienss isnt that much of a problem on an explorer in my opinion, as you can use your right hand to balance it out, by having it against the top "wing" of the guitar. Sadly, don't liek the reverse look at all, talking about the "heavy" looks, the only guiatr with sharp edges that I like, is the Explorer.
I have solved neck dive problems in the past by moving the strap button from the upper bout to the neck heel.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by PSimonR at #34001823
Shishkov Guitars Darkhangel

https://www.facebook.com/719236741552843/photos/pcb.759248174218366/759309467545570/?type=3&theater

Which belongs to Kev Bower from the NWOBHM band Hell.

Cool guitar. I like the fancy thing they did at the end of the fretboard.

Quote by smittyanthrax at #34001820

I actually like that quite a bit.

Quote by bennytheblade at #34001813
top one is particularly nice looking.

For sure
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The only two of your list that I've played are ltd ex models and a Kelly. The Kelly's are nice to play, neck isn't too thick or anything.

Ltd ex(I own an fx). Mine is a 401 so it has the thin u shaped neck and it's a very comfortable guitar to play, but a friend of mine also has an ex 250(I think), it plays nice, except the neck is a 2x4 and bolt on I think. So probably the lower models have a thicker neck.
Quote by esky15
The only two of your list that I've played are ltd ex models and a Kelly. The Kelly's are nice to play, neck isn't too thick or anything.

Ltd ex(I own an fx). Mine is a 401 so it has the thin u shaped neck and it's a very comfortable guitar to play, but a friend of mine also has an ex 250(I think), it plays nice, except the neck is a 2x4 and bolt on I think. So probably the lower models have a thicker neck.

Read on forums, that Kellys might be worse in consruction, than their LTD counterparts though. Does this rumor have any actual proof?
Quote by ColonelCrazy
Read on forums, that Kellys might be worse in consruction, than their LTD counterparts though. Does this rumor have any actual proof?

Not too sure. I've only played two fairly briefly a few years ago.
Quote by ColonelCrazy

By what objective measure are they any worse?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
By what objective measure are they any worse?

I'm not certain, but you can just read reviews on it. Please don't get me wrong, I like the look of it and it's the guitar I'm leaning towards the most myself, I jsut want proof from more experienced players, that fro mmy choices, I pick the best one

EDIT: Tried to find the few negative reviews I read a while back, but can't seem to find them.
Quote by ColonelCrazy
I'm not certain, but you can just read reviews on it. Please don't get me wrong, I like the look of it and it's the guitar I'm leaning towards the most myself, I jsut want proof from more experienced players, that fro mmy choices, I pick the best one

EDIT: Tried to find the few negative reviews I read a while back, but can't seem to find them.

Well best is also subjective to your likings. Some may prefer bolt on necks rather than neck throughs, etc.

By no means would they be poor quality guitars.
Quote by esky15
Well best is also subjective to your likings. Some may prefer bolt on necks rather than neck throughs, etc.

By no means would they be poor quality guitars.

Do prefer set neck over a bolt on, but there is nothing wrong with a bol-on. First instrument I had was a Squier strat, so I'm used to both.
If you don't mind a bolt on, and you are preferring that guitar, I'd say go for it. The guitar would be built well, the only issues you may have sometime down the line are the same as any other inexpensive guitar you would buy.
Quote by ColonelCrazy
The neck heavienss isnt that much of a problem on an explorer in my opinion, as you can use your right hand to balance it out, by having it against the top "wing" of the guitar.

You're obviously not doing much work with a trem, harmonics, tapping or any of the other techniques other than palm mute.
Quote by ColonelCrazy

More experienced players will point out that objectively speaking, no form of construction is really any better than the other. There's really very little to prove otherwise other than upper fret access and that's going to be different for every guitar anyway. All of them have their advantages and disadvantages.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 9, 2016,
My personal taste says the Kelly. I like Kellys a lot - they're sleek enough that I don't feel awkward playing one sitting down the way I do with other Explorer-style shapes.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
If you want a 25.5 inch neck scale, you'll have to go with either the Dean, or the Kelly.

I've played on various Kellys, ranging from low end models up to the USA stuff, and I used to own a Gibson explorer (The Epiphone version will have the same body dimensions). Both are awesome, but completely different feeling guitars.

The Gibson/Epiphone explorers will have a larger body, shorter (24.75) neck scale/slightly thicker neck, and in my experience, a warmer/thicker tone to them. The Kelly will have a smaller body with beveled edges, and a thinner/faster neck, with better upper fret access, and a bit brighter of a tone.

I can't comment on the LTD's or Dean, as I have never played on them. I'm tempted to recommend the Kelly, based on some of your preferences, though.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus
If you want a 25.5 inch neck scale, you'll have to go with either the Dean, or the Kelly.

I've played on various Kellys, ranging from low end models up to the USA stuff, and I used to own a Gibson explorer (The Epiphone version will have the same body dimensions). Both are awesome, but completely different feeling guitars.

The Gibson/Epiphone explorers will have a larger body, shorter (24.75) neck scale/slightly thicker neck, and in my experience, a warmer/thicker tone to them. The Kelly will have a smaller body with beveled edges, and a thinner/faster neck, with better upper fret access, and a bit brighter of a tone.

I can't comment on the LTD's or Dean, as I have never played on them. I'm tempted to recommend the Kelly, based on some of your preferences, though.

Like I said, not set on the 25.5" one, jsut I preffer those over 24.75". I have played two 24.75 I really enjoyed playing and wouldn't mind playing again, but those were relatively thing, I'm guessing the Epiphone EX has quite the chubby neck
Snakebyte for life. I like both smooth edge explorer and very pointy explorer
Quote by ColonelCrazy
Like I said, not set on the 25.5" one, jsut I preffer those over 24.75". I have played two 24.75 I really enjoyed playing and wouldn't mind playing again, but those were relatively thing, I'm guessing the Epiphone EX has quite the chubby neck

The Epiphone has a pretty averagely sized neck, if anything slightly thinner than average. The consensus that all Epiphones have thick necks comes from shredder kids that are so used to Ibanez Wizard necks that anything else feels gigantic.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The Epiphone has a pretty averagely sized neck, if anything slightly thinner than average. The consensus that all Epiphones have thick necks comes from shredder kids that are so used to Ibanez Wizard necks that anything else feels gigantic.
+1

To the OP, the Kelly will definitely have the "shreddier" neck vs. an Epiphone, but the Epiphone neck is by no means thick. It's definitely not a 50's rounded Les Paul profile, that's for sure.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus
+1

To the OP, the Kelly will definitely have the "shreddier" neck vs. an Epiphone, but the Epiphone neck is by no means thick. It's definitely not a 50's rounded Les Paul profile, that's for sure.

I tried out the Epi, for my taste, too thick
Just buy the Jackson already. Look for a used KE3 if you want to save some $. I got mine for an absolute steal with the OHSC included. Needed a complete setup and I swapped out the Duncan Designed pickups.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by ColonelCrazy
I tried out the Epi, for my taste, too thick

Agile Ghost maybe?
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
Quote by RiksRiks
Agile Ghost maybe?

It looks so good O_O. One problem, is it sold somewhere in europe?
Quote by ColonelCrazy
It looks so good O_O. One problem, is it sold somewhere in europe?

Sold in Europe? Short answer is no. Agile is only distributed by Rondo Music (USA) worldwide, but they ship everywhere. They do ship to Europe, it may add like 100 bucks, but I think it's gonna stay under your 500€ range.

Agile are good quality guitars for the price, you may have to set it up when you get it maybe, since their QC isn't very good as far as I've read. I will get a semi-custom in the near future tho
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
Page 1 of 2