Forgive me if this has been asked a million times.. I just got a cheap bass to play around with and the strings are pretty darn far from the frets. I'm making it work and it sounds great, but I'm almost certain they shouldn't be so far away.

How far away from the frets are they supposed to be?

Is there a Bass Guitar setup thread around here? I cannot seem to find one like there is in the Electric Guitar section.
Quote by Chockomonkey
Missed opportunity to use http://lmgtfy.com/ lol

I did search and look at some stuff but founds lots of conflicting info. I typically prefer to hear from people on the forums, ya know?

Seriously though: Fender says 7/64th to 6/64th of an inch or somewhere around 3mm. Start there and see what you think.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Thanks guys.

To adjust would you do this at the bridge (looks like a PITA on a bass) or the neck?
to a degree it's preference, play with it and find something that works for you.

personally i like mine fairly high, to the point where my friend can barely play my 'wick.

of course i'm uncomfortable as can be on his skinny neck ibanez with buzzy light strings.
Start with neck adjustment. If the neck is fine, adjust the bridge. If the neck is too bowed, you can't really lower your action without getting fret buzz. So first check your neck relief.

http://www.wikihow.com/Adjust-Action-on-a-Bass
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Start with neck adjustment. If the neck is fine, adjust the bridge. If the neck is too bowed, you can't really lower your action without getting fret buzz. So first check your neck relief.

http://www.wikihow.com/Adjust-Action-on-a-Bass

Truth. Also consider investing in automotive "feeler gauges". They are very useful for measuring truss rod and string height adjustments. Guitar/bass setups are not a once-and-done activity - they require regular maintenance.
Set that puppy up. I've been doing setups on my and my friends' and bandmates' instruments for more than 25 years. At first, they are intimidating. My first time, I was convinced I was going to ruin or break something and was second-guessing everything. It took an hour and a half. Now I can do all of my basses, including changing strings on my rounds basses, in about the same amount of time. Tools needed are: a capo, tuner, screwdriver, allen wrenches, and a finite measuring tool (I use a digital caliper). Tune, adjust neck relief, tune, adjust bridge height, tune, adjust pickup height, adjust intonation. Initially, I set them to right in the middle of Fender's recommended settings. My current settings are: neck relief, .015"; bridge height, .085"; pickup height, .0935" E&A, .078" D&G. I also utilize the micro-tilt or a shim to get a .595" gap between the strings and body. I like to wedge my thumb under the E when I'm not playing it. Best thing to remember about doing setups is to do them in the playing position. Took me entirely too long to figure that out. Gravity has a stronger effect than one would think. I used to do them with the bass laying flat. I'd then strap it around my neck and everything would be a little off.

Enjoy your new bass!
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Last edited by deeptubes at Jun 10, 2016,
Chockomonkey
Action varies on people's preference. I know Flea from RHCP likes his action low.
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
Sub 1mm on the Higher strings.

Sub 2mm on the Low B

A the 12th
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Last edited by Sliide90027 at Sep 11, 2016,
Quote by fingerguy
Chockomonkey
Action varies on people's preference. I know Flea from RHCP likes his action low.

To a certain degree, I concur. I know alot of upright players whose electric basses are setup with higher action. Some of my more slap happy friends like lower, like Flea, because it gives a much more percussive sound when playing slap.