So my little (well, 12 yrs old) is finishing music school on piano this June and I encouraged him to continue playing on some other instrument because he hates piano thanks to classical music he had to play :d
He liked how bass sounded and decided he wants to play it but my question is: could it be a little bit too difficult for him? I honestly don't know if there are smaller basses (though I'd prefer he started with full sized instrument) and I played bass few times and even for me it's sometimes too hard to get nice sound, strings tension etc. I don't seem to have that strenght in my fingers

What do you think guys? Should he start with for example, Nylon guitar and build some strenght or dive right into the bass, he will have more than enough time this summer to learn some skills and strenghten his fingers
Find him a used squier VM jag short scale and call it a day.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
For me, It was harder to start out on guitar and go to bass. The small strings and spacing were and still sometimes are strange and difficult to have control of. I'd say take him in to a local music/guitar store and have him try out bass and guitar and see which he is liking better from the get-go. You can always pick up a First Act Bass AND a First Act Guitar for like $120 total on eBay/Craigslist, and if he likes one more than the other you can get a full fledged Ibanez (Bass) or Dean/Jackson (Guitar)

Hope that helped!
Also, I personally like my Ibanez BTB 450QM which I got for like $450. It's five string, low action. Really easy to fret, but ALWAYS play before you buy. AND, don't mess about with expensive Fenders. G&L is a company that uses designs by George Fullerton and Leo Fender. They are wayyyyyy cheaper than Fenders, and they are just as good or better than the modern models.
good stuff, let him play around, see if he likes a short or long scale. good luck finding a nice bass!
I'm a dirty fuckin' punk / i sell myself for a beer
Quote by Wiencon
So my little (well, 12 yrs old) is finishing music school on piano this June and I encouraged him to continue playing on some other instrument because he hates piano thanks to classical music he had to play :d
He liked how bass sounded and decided he wants to play it but my question is: could it be a little bit too difficult for him? I honestly don't know if there are smaller basses (though I'd prefer he started with full sized instrument) and I played bass few times and even for me it's sometimes too hard to get nice sound, strings tension etc. I don't seem to have that strenght in my fingers

What do you think guys? Should he start with for example, Nylon guitar and build some strenght or dive right into the bass, he will have more than enough time this summer to learn some skills and strenghten his fingers

Stop being a worry wart and a debbie downer. Get the kid what he wants to play and let the kid work on it. Stop over thinking it!
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1